Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Answering honestly - What closes matches your beliefs and political affiliation
I generally vote/lean REPUBLICAN – I’m for policies that benefit me even at possible expense of societies greater good 6 10.71%
I generally vote/lean DEMOCRATIC – I’m for policies that benefit me even at possible expense of societies greater good 2 3.57%
I generally vote/lean REPUBLICAN – I’m for policies that benefit societies greater good even at possible expense of me 10 17.86%
I generally vote/lean DEMOCRATIC – I’m for policies that benefit societies greater good even at possible expense of me 38 67.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 01:18 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have been trying to figure out the Liberal mind for years now.

I am a registered independent that votes and I lean to the Right.

I have friends that are die hard Dems. I was very excited election night as Trump edged closer and closer to the win. It was like watching the Patriots comeback in the Superbowl against the Falcons. I spoke with a Dem friend the next day and he said that he and his wife were so sick with the news that Hillary lost that they almost went to the Emergency Room.

What? Seriously??

TDS hadn't even been diagnosed yet and there were 2 cases of it right before me.

The mindset of people that call themselves Democrats is simple, they think with their hearts and not their brains. Republicans on the other side think with their brains and bank accounts with a dose of Freedom, Patriotism and Love for America swirling around that noggin.

With what the Left is offering today I don't see myself ever voting for a Dem again.
What complete nonsense. My brain tells me a man who does nothing but cry like he is 10 years old that people are being mean to him is not the man who should be holding the most important job in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 01:24 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
I vote for the policies which I perceive will benefit me the most and I fail to understand how anyone could think differently with their own situation. I find it humorous that at this point in the poll, 69% of fools here would vote for policies that would hurt them at the expense of others.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:28 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Too add to this, most young people also think with their hearts and not their minds. In the course of human development, individuals are normally supposed to grow out of that type of thinking, but liberals are generally those who are perpetually stuck in the adolescent stage of human development.

Those of us who are right leaning were also once young, so we fully understand that line of thinking and therefore understand both the liberal and conservative mind. Whereas, liberals have always only known liberal thinking - they have no idea what we grown ups are thinking.
Interesting theory, but I used to be conservative as a younger and more self-involved adult, and now I am liberal in my middle age. Why? Because I have realized that even though I am not necessarily using social programs, others benefit from them and I support them. It is common for adolescents to be self-centered and to not be interested in things that do not affect them personally; most of us grow out of that over time.

I homeschool, but I support my tax dollars going to public schools.
I have health coverage, but I support my tax dollars going to Medicaid to cover those who don't.
I have plenty of food to eat, but I support my tax dollars going to feed those who don't.
I have been able to purchase my home, but I support programs geared toward helping the poor with their rent.

Disclaimer: Some social programs, I've been able to benefit from. For example, I use the library, I drive on the public roads, we got WIC when my children were little, and I purchase our health insurance through the Marketplace because it's more affordable than what my family could buy otherwise (I'm self-employed and my husband was until a few months ago, so he's not eligible for health coverage through his employer yet). We've never used food stamps or rental assistance programs and we used the public school system for just one year.

I also have no problem with other people choosing to have abortions, to marry someone of the same sex, to take prescribed medications (such as marijuana and birth control pills), and so on, even though I have done none of those things and do not benefit from them being the law of the land. So even if I were voting purely on these types of issues, I'd still have to vote Democrat.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:32 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The same Republican voters that have claimed to care about children in their opposition to abortion, have cheered with joy at Trump kidnapping 500 children from their parents.

so this right here proves you aren't interested in dialog. It proves you aren't interested in truth.

seriously do you really expect people to take you seriously when you say such utterly false things? good grief.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:33 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
I vote for the policies which I perceive will benefit me the most and I fail to understand how anyone could think differently with their own situation. I find it humorous that at this point in the poll, 69% of fools here would vote for policies that would hurt them at the expense of others.
It essentially comes down to whether someone would rather live in an individualistic vs collectivist culture. Most societies outside of North America and Western Europe would be what you consider “foolish”.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:38 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
What complete nonsense. My brain tells me a man who does nothing but cry like he is 10 years old that people are being mean to him is not the man who should be holding the most important job in the world.
my brain tells me that a man who tells me what he is going to do has president then gets elected and starts doing exactly what he said he would .... more so than any president in modern history.... according to the academics that study this....

might very well be a good president.... even if he does hit back 5 times harder than the shots he takes....

TheDonald is absolutely thin skinned when it comes to dealing with insults tossed his way.
TheDonald is absolutely sensitive to news outlets that play fast and loose with facts due to their stated overt opposition to him.

He will absolutely launch verbal nuclear warheads when verbally assaulted with a the equivalent of a foam fungo bat....

BUT 4.2% economic growth...
so naa naa na boo boo

Old 08-31-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
my brain tells me that a man who tells me what he is going to do has president then gets elected and starts doing exactly what he said he would ....
He ran on the promise to Drain the Swamp, then surrounded himself with crooks and liars. How many felonies are we up to with people in his camp? I've honestly lost count.

He promised a new health care bill, it was to be the first order of business. How'd that work out again?

He promised Mexico would pay for the wall. No comment necessary.

This is just the abbreviated list, I could go all day on his broken promises.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:46 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Can you tell me what Trump has done without copying and pasting a misleading list? Like, you do realize that the economy was booming before he became president and would likely boom no matter who was president, right? And that The Wall wasn't build, Hillary is not locked up, the swamp is being drained thanks to Mueller and no thanks to Trump, North Korea has not denuclearized... what else did Trump promise? He promised not to be one of those vacation-taking presidents... that one didn't pan out. Sanctuary cities are still being funded because federal appeals court told him to stop being a lawbreaker. DACA is still the law of the land. His attempt at controlling illegal immigration by stealing children didn't work out the way he wanted it to. He didn't have his grand parade, he didn't create a zillion jobs with his infrastructure plan, and he didn't obliterate "Obamacare."

I dunno, man. With all of the non-accomplishments combined with the leaks and indictments and guilty pleas and flipping, it kind of seems like there's not a lot of winning happening.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:

I must have missed the option that said they would hurt themselves at the expense of others. Poll I see says clearly that group would give up something if it would help others. What a terrible human being to think this way.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:53 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Can you tell me what Trump has done without copying and pasting a misleading list? Like, you do realize that the economy was booming before he became president and would likely boom no matter who was president, right? And that The Wall wasn't build, Hillary is not locked up, the swamp is being drained thanks to Mueller and no thanks to Trump, North Korea has not denuclearized... what else did Trump promise? He promised not to be one of those vacation-taking presidents... that one didn't pan out. Sanctuary cities are still being funded because federal appeals court told him to stop being a lawbreaker. DACA is still the law of the land. His attempt at controlling illegal immigration by stealing children didn't work out the way he wanted it to. He didn't have his grand parade, he didn't create a zillion jobs with his infrastructure plan, and he didn't obliterate "Obamacare."

I dunno, man. With all of the non-accomplishments combined with the leaks and indictments and guilty pleas and flipping, it kind of seems like there's not a lot of winning happening.
It's never about policy for Trump supporters. It's about emotions and how he makes them feel. Trump is the personification of their anger and rage from having to live under a socially liberal black President for eight years. Now that they are in complete control they are out for revenge. Trump invokes a Leave it to Beaver image, an America that is white, heterosexual, and Christian and in which social norms and traditions are enforced. That is why Trump is so loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies