Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 11:35 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Even if the door was latched closed and not ajar and she intentionally lied about that detail that doesn't necessarily mean she intended to shoot anyone. A spring latched door can be left unlatched if you hold it while closing or unlatch it without letting it swing shut. A noise complaint is hardly a strong motive for murder.
She lied. He let her in. There is NO justification for shooting him after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not only that, she's a trained police officer. They are trained to be observant. Is she really asking people to suspend reality and believe that she was unaware that she parked on the 4th floor, that she was unaware of the BRIGHT lit up number outside the apartment door, that she was unaware of the red half moon shaped rug outside the door she claimed she thought was hers?

REALLY?
Well trained officers in full uniform don't normally murder their neighbor for no apparent reason either.

Trained, even professional people can at times act unaware and negligent.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:41 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Well trained officers in full uniform don't normally murder their neighbor for no apparent reason either.

Trained, even professional people can at times act unaware and negligent.
If it was ONE thing, I'd agree, but she had 3 different points to notice that she was at the wrong damn door, using her claims.

I understand that someone can walk to the wrong car or the wrong door, but not park in the wrong parking lot, walk to the door with a very, very bright number right next to it, AND not see the bright red rug at the front door.

Additionally, as I posted earlier, the doors do not stay 'ajar', she could NOT have used her key to force the door open as the video proves in the link I provided earlier, because if it's the wrong key, the light on the door turns red, NOT GREEN, so that was a 4TH POINT she should have noticed she was at the wrong damn door, and then there's a neighbor stating that he saw her pacing the hallway after the shooting. If you read the story, it says she "immediately" administered aid and called 911. When 911 asked where she was, she walked out to the hallway to look at the number of the apartment...now why would she do that? It was pitch black, according to her, and she "immediately" administered aid and still didn't know where she was until 911 asked her?

B! S!

Old 09-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
She lied. He let her in. There is NO justification for shooting him after that.
What were you there? It doesn't make sense that he let her in really if she was just fumbling at the door with the wrong key. The justification would be you were trying to apprehend what you thought was a burglar in your apartment. I agree though that we need to know why the search warrant suggests he answered the door and the arrest warrant says the door was ajar.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
If it was ONE thing, I'd agree, but she had 3 different points to notice that she was at the wrong damn door, using her claims.

I understand that someone can walk to the wrong car or the wrong door, but not park in the wrong parking lot, walk to the door with a very, very bright number right next to it, AND not see the bright red rug at the front door.
It's not that hard to believe at all. Once she parked on the wrong floor that set her up to autopilot by general distance and doors to what would've been her apartment if on the right floor. If you are inattentive you may ignore things like apartment number and a small red mat.

Quote:
Additionally, as I posted earlier, the doors do not stay 'ajar', she could NOT have used her key to force the door open as the video proves in the link I provided earlier, because if it's the wrong key, the light on the door turns red, NOT GREEN, so that was a 4TH POINT she should have noticed she was at the wrong damn door,
I'm very familiar with doors with closer, and they all can be left unlatched even ones with strong closers on exterior doors. Interior doors with spring latches are not that strong and will usually swing open with light pressure. They slam because of momentum not because of strong spring force.

Quote:
and then there's a neighbor stating that he saw her pacing the hallway after the shooting. If you read the story, it says she "immediately" administered aid and called 911. When 911 asked where she was, she walked out to the hallway to look at the number of the apartment...now why would she do that? It was pitch black, according to her, and she "immediately" administered aid and still didn't know where she was until 911 asked her?

B! S!
The arrested warrant is not that precise. She called 911, turned on the lights and probably realized she was in the wrong apartment, and then checked the apartment number outside to give responders the address. So that suggest she didn't know the apartment number ahead of time.

The posters who think she went there with intent to kill him in full police uniform and equipment need to provide a plausible motive and explanation why her story she told isn't less incriminating.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:57 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Did she identify herself as a police officer? Who knows? (she claims it was too dark to see)
If she did... how many miilli-seconds between that statement, the commands that followed, and shots fired?
Whatever she says.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would certainly agree her future in law enforcement is gone.

And again the prosecutor's problem will be the issue of a person failing to comply with the directions of a law officer.

The layout of the apartment is such that it is very likely the officer had no clue she was in the wrong apartment until she penetrate the entry hall and turned the lights on whereupon it became obvious.

I do not think her walking is certain but I would think the odds favor it. You only need one juror to accept her story. I doubt very much they will try again if they miss on the first try.
I don't believe that the issue of a person failing to comply with the directions of a law officer will be a problem. We have multiple conflicting accounts of what initially happened, whether the police officer even gave directions to Botham Jean, and whether he even had time to comply. Given that she was confused to the point that she was at the wrong apartment to begin with, I don't think this part of her story will carry much weight. A good prosecutor would see to it that it wouldn't carry weight. And that's what the prosecution has to do, get the jury to focus on all the flaws in her story in order to discount it. When they discount her story, they can determine her fear was unreasonable.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:02 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:

Also, her key didn't open the door as it normally would.

Either the door was unlocked--abnormal--or the door was somehow ajar--also abnormal--or her key didn't open the lock--also abnormal.

Any of those cases should have alerted her that something was...abnormal.

I've wound up at the wrong door of hotels, motels, and apartment buildings myself. If nothing else had clued me earlier, an abnormality in keying the lock would cause me to look up at the door number.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Botham lived in #1478, the cop lived below him in #1378.
She has moved out and #1378 is now available for rent.

Availability & floor plan at:

https://www.southsideflatsapts.com/a...rPlans=2355963

https://nypost.com/2018/09/17/cop-wh...-from-complex/

Old 09-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Also, her key didn't open the door as it normally would.

Either the door was unlocked--abnormal--or the door was somehow ajar--also abnormal--or her key didn't open the lock--also abnormal.

Any of those cases should have alerted her that something was...abnormal.

I've wound up at the wrong door of hotels, motels, and apartment buildings myself. If nothing else had clued me earlier, an abnormality in keying the lock would cause me to look up at the door number.
I assume the door was unlocked and whether ajar or not she probably had the notion that someone had entered "her apartment" at some previous point and mucked up the lock. She plowed forward without verifying it really was her apartment to see if the apartment was clear of an intruder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies