Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 10:13 AM

6,371 posts, read 2,919,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Shortly after deliberations began yesterday, the jury asked the court for a definition of manslaughter, and information about the Castle Doctrine.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/De...561804861.html
Castle doctrine lol. That applies when you are in YOUR home, not someone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes, both frame of mind and character are and have always been important factors in a murder trial.
Thanks, Ralph. Frame of mind and character is a better way to put it.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM

6,371 posts, read 2,919,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Jury still has to decide the punishment - apparently 5-99 years is the range of possibilities.
I'd give her 40. That would let her out at age 70.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
I can't say I'm happy or glad. But I do think it is the correct verdict.

I would love to know which factor(s) were the most important to the jurors when they made their decision. We probably won't see anything like that until the trial is completely over. For me, the whole thing hinges on the fact that there was no compelling reason for her to enter the apartment, even if she really did believe it was hers.

A woman I once knew came home with her groceries and went to open her door. Someone on the other side firmly pulled the door closed, growling "go away". She did. No one died.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:26 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
99 years sounds about right.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:28 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,610,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I can't say I'm happy or glad. But I do think it is the correct verdict.

I would love to know which factor(s) were the most important to the jurors when they made their decision. We probably won't see anything like that until the trial is completely over. For me, the whole thing hinges on the fact that there was no compelling reason for her to enter the apartment, even if she really did believe it was hers.

A woman I once knew came home with her groceries and went to open her door. Someone on the other side firmly pulled the door closed, growling "go away". She did. No one died.
Like I thought, most of the comments I read on this story from readers were talking about her affair. That’s why she was found guilty. I don’t like a home wrecker anymore than a drug addict. But allowing the jury to hear that caused injustice in this case.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:32 AM

24,686 posts, read 9,505,886 times
Very simple verdict, she failed to utilize the rules of engagement and common sense with a deadly weapon. You can’t just shoot someone because you’re “confused and tired.” The poor guy didn’t even have a chance to understand what the heck was going on in his own apartment.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:32 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Like I thought, most of the comments I read on this story from readers were talking about her affair. That’s why she was found guilty. I don’t like a home wrecker anymore than a drug addict. But allowing the jury to hear that caused injustice in this case.
You're stating your opinion as fact. These jurors get specific instructions on what they should be thinking about and weighing. I'm sure 'having an affair' wasn't on the list.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:40 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,948,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post

Unfortunately for her she was texting the paramour immediately before and after the shooting. It certainly goes to her state of mind at the time and is probative both for the defense and the prosecution. There is no way its not getting admitted.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:41 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,701,840 times
Seems like it was unfortunate for both parties.

I can see people making a mistake in trying to go into the wrong apartment door especially if they had been drinking. Then you find out the door is open & it looks like somebody broke in. I've been in that situation before at home and it is a sense of shock & fear that somebody is in your home.

Then she goes in & shoots an innocent person. Nobody knows but her what she truly meant to do but it seems like this is more about assuming she could've behaved differently. Until you're in that situation you'll never what it's like.

She could very well made a terrible mistake & truly thought somebody was in her apartment but the problem is society will judge her for the actions of other cops. Similarly to the OJ Simpson case many people didn't care if OJ really did it or not. They just wanted a black man to go free because so many times they were treated wrong in getting true justice. And while yes she did kill a person I have to wonder how people would feel if it was a black female office who killed a black man and if they would be willing to be more "open minded" as to whether this was just a tragic mistake. And that I believe would happen.

And for the record I would probably still say guilty. But at least I would be open minded to hear all the information on the case while some people didn't care about anything other than guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies