Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I disagree. Many people would not change there feelings even if she had started CPR the minute he went down. Many people wanted her guilty no matter what.

Let's say it was reversed & he came into her apartment by mistake because he mistook the wrong door and the door was also open. If she shot him without hesitation you'd have people saying she was still in the wrong because she opened fired immediately.
And I would be among those people, who say she'd be in the wrong for opening fire immediately even if it was Mr. Jean who entered her apartment accidentally.

I don't fault her for ending up at the wrong apartment and going in, thinking it was hers. That's forgivable - mistakes happen.

What I fault her for, and believe makes her guilty of murder, is that while she was trying to get into the wrong apartment she noticed the door was slightly ajar, and realized someone was inside. At that point, she chose to enter the apartment for the purpose of locating the intruder, and killing him.

That's what she did. That was her mindset.

You can't do that. You can't go from a safe environment (out in the apartment hallway) to an unsafe location to confront a would-be intruder for the purpose of killing him. And that's what she did. She didn't go in there to investigate, to figure out what was going on, to hold him at bay until he could be arrested, she went in there to find him and kill him.

And that's murder. And she was found guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 11:59 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
It's "progressivism" run amok.

Even small men have very different strength than large women.

This lil lady was a ' twig.

The same craziness is going on in fire departments across America - sensible policy is being stomped on in the name of "diversity" and brining in little women who wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of carrying me out of a burning building.

The left can't admit that men and women have very different body chemistry...they can't admit that we are very different. It's their "we're all the same" craziness.
Still nonsense. There are very strong women around. And have you ever looked at the senior police? Many are close to being handicapped. They continue in their roles however.

How many 40 year old officers can run 100 yards in under 11 seconds?

If there is a need for a fireman to be able to carry a 200 lb person make it a rule for all firemen. Won't happen of course as many of the mature fireman would wash out at 35 or so. They might have been able to do it at 25 but age catches up to us all.

So go for real requirements. But for all who practice the task.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:04 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
One check on CNN & other facebook news stories you can clearly tell some people could careless about the truth. They convicted her before seeing any evidence.

Again, I would choose guilty too but that doesn't mean a good amount of people in this country have other motives in what they want.

And so? Is that the only point you've got to make? That's nobody, as far as I can tell, in this thread.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:07 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
I'm so thankful for that jury. They got it right. They didn't fall for her lies, they didn't fall for her make over, they didn't fall for her sniffling and tears - they got it absolutely right.

In the evenings, I've watched a lot of this trial on that channel I've been linking. Hours of it, not just what the news reported in their own words.

There was no way that could not be found guilty with all that was said and shown.

Now I'm going to watch the sentencing video. It's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TS7Cdj8lpY

If you wanted to watch it, even after the fact.

I want to watch it just because I want to see her have to sit there and learn her future.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:09 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And I would be among those people, who say she'd be in the wrong for opening fire immediately even if it was Mr. Jean who entered her apartment accidentally.

I don't fault her for ending up at the wrong apartment and going in, thinking it was hers. That's forgivable - mistakes happen.

What I fault her for, and believe makes her guilty of murder, is that while she was trying to get into the wrong apartment she noticed the door was slightly ajar, and realized someone was inside. At that point, she chose to enter the apartment for the purpose of locating the intruder, and killing him.

That's what she did. That was her mindset.

You can't do that. You can't go from a safe environment (out in the apartment hallway) to an unsafe location to confront a would-be intruder for the purpose of killing him. And that's what she did. She didn't go in there to investigate, to figure out what was going on, to hold him at bay until he could be arrested, she went in there to find him and kill him.

And that's murder. And she was found guilty.

That was pretty much the new information revealed in the trial that clenched "murder by Texas law" in my mind.

1. She realized before entering that someone was in the apartment.

2. She had been trained not to enter such a situation alone, but to call for back-up.

3. She was cognizant of the circumstances to have noted the threshold as she stepped over it...but not the fact that she had been standing on a red mat?

That all goes to a tunnel-visioned intent to shoot someone.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I only read one article, but, I saw Texas has different levels of "murder", as in there is capital, which she was not charged with, but have 1st level felony, 2nd level, etc, something like that, instead of 1st, 2nd, degree murder.

What felony level was she convicted of? I am assuming the 1st level or whatever it is called. Because they seem to have a great degree of options in the prison sentence, like 5-99, or 5-20, like that.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm so thankful for that jury. They got it right. They didn't fall for her lies, they didn't fall for her make over, they didn't fall for her sniffling and tears - they got it absolutely right.

In the evenings, I've watched a lot of this trial on that channel I've been linking. Hours of it, not just what the news reported in their own words.

There was no way that could not be found guilty with all that was said and shown.

Now I'm going to watch the sentencing video. It's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TS7Cdj8lpY

If you wanted to watch it, even after the fact.

I want to watch it just because I want to see her have to sit there and learn her future.
So is this the portion where family will have a chance to make statements? I don't think I've ever seen a case where the sentence followed IMMEDIATELY after a finding of guilt - usually they announce sentencing will take place in a few weeks.

I wonder if that's because she's being sentenced by a sequestered jury?

Old 10-01-2019, 12:18 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Thank the Lord.

Now, we just have to wait and see and hope the sentencing is harsh.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank the Lord.

Now, we just have to wait and see and hope the sentencing is harsh.
Yes, because the sentencing can be 5-99 according to the guidelines in Texas for murder, first degree felony.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:25 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So is this the portion where family will have a chance to make statements? I don't think I've ever seen a case where the sentence followed IMMEDIATELY after a finding of guilt - usually they announce sentencing will take place in a few weeks.

I wonder if that's because she's being sentenced by a sequestered jury?
I saw it recently in the Sidney Moorer case. He was found guilty and his sentencing was the same day because the jury came back early in the day with the guilty verdict.

(Sidney Moorer was the one involved in that young girl's disappearance in South Carolina in 2013. It was a retrial that just took place right before this Amber Guyger case.)

Oh, and yes, the sentencing phase is where family and friends can make victim impact statements to plead to the judge for a harsher sentence.

Edit: Right now, on that link I just provided, the attorneys and the judge are in the court discussing some things like Amber having received counseling and things like that. I'm not sure that the jury is in the court right now - they may still be at lunch since the judge gave them an hour and a half for lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies