Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,650,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, you’re not.

Many more people read a given thread than ever reply to any post in it.

You’re really talking to them.
That's a positive take, and I appreciate it. Thanks for the paradigm shift!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 08:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,383,320 times
It is sad we all find this one so clear. It is actually utterly diaphanous.

She unreasonably and carelessly killed an innocent person. So the guilt is hers.

But as this thread makes clear the rest of us have no collective will on how to deal with it.

Life in prison?

A decade or so to think on her failures?

Treat it as a accident with civil not criminal penalties?

I will climb out on a limb and project a long deliberation likely ended up with a hung jury.

The jurors are not going to do better than the participants here...and we have more than enough to hang the thing forever.

I actually hope I am wrong...

Old 09-30-2019, 08:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is sad we all find this one so clear. It is actually utterly diaphanous.

She unreasonably and carelessly killed an innocent person. So the guilt is hers.

But as this thread makes clear the rest of us have no collective will on how to deal with it.

Life in prison?

A decade or so to think on her failures?

Treat it as a accident with civil not criminal penalties?

I will climb out on a limb and project a long deliberation likely ended up with a hung jury.

The jurors are not going to do better than the participants here...and we have more than enough to hang the thing forever.

I actually hope I am wrong...
I agree it's likely to be a hung jury also; but my concern is the judge won't allow the jury to hang.

A sequestered jury is statistically likely to just reach consensus, because the ones who are in disagreement get bullied by the others who just want to go home. So they just give up and agree.

BTW: we who have watched this trial on TV know WAY MORE than the jury knows. They were off-scene for all the arguments between the lawyers and the judge about what is/is not admissible for the jury's tender ears. We, who watched this on our computers, know much more than the jury knows. Which is an abomination of the justice system.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:02 PM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree it's likely to be a hung jury also; but my concern is the judge won't allow the jury to hang.

A sequestered jury is statistically likely to just reach consensus, because the ones who are in disagreement get bullied by the others who just want to go home. So they just give up and agree.

Or maybe not. In one of the felony trials I was on, when we took the first vote, which was 10 to 2 for guilty, one of the woman voting not-guilty said she would never vote guilty...and then she took out her knitting.

A week later--and after two failed attempts to convince the judge we were hung--everyone who had voted guilty decided they'd rather go home than watch that woman finished her sweater.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 AM

13,345 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Some interesting facts which I didn't know about until recently maybe it was known last year that the Dallas police department deleted text from phones, requested a drug search warrant for Bo Jeans apartment. Amber had texted her BF right after the shooting saying "lets get drunk" LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bla-CHxrnTs

Old 10-01-2019, 12:34 AM

732 posts, read 1,047,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
He had probably been leaning over his bowl of ice cream on the coffee table.

Poor Botha. He never knew that the bowl of ice cream would be his final meal on earth. I hope he at least got to finish it.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:06 AM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yeah that will teach her not to accidentally do something bad again. That’s the mentality of the guy who beats his four year old for spilling the milk.
Okay, maybe I'm went overboard. Just the same, I'm scared. I don't want someone walking into my home, "accidentally shooting me", and then potentially getting away with it. This looks very fishy. No one "accidentally" walks into someone else's apartment, especially with electronic doors.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:59 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,396,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

BTW: we who have watched this trial on TV know WAY MORE than the jury knows. They were off-scene for all the arguments between the lawyers and the judge about what is/is not admissible for the jury's tender ears. We, who watched this on our computers, know much more than the jury knows. Which is an abomination of the justice system.
Why? What do you think they should have seen?

Old 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,614,919 times
I had a little time to watch some of the trial. Here are my takeaways:

-the prosecutor’s opening statement was weak. He spent most of his time explaining away all the exculpatory evidence.
- she should have never testified and her lawyers did her no favors by not objecting to certain questions.
- the defense closing was informative but boring. To be fair, he had to do the judge’s job of telling the jury about all the irrelevant evidence the judge let into the case.
- the judge is terrible. All the stuff about her affair, whether she did cpr, her reaction days after the event, all of it is irrelevant to whether a person could reasonably mistake one apartment for another and whether the victim made her fear for her life.
- I think she’ll get manslaughter but it Will be appealed because of all the irrelevant evidence let in.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:56 AM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I had a little time to watch some of the trial. Here are my takeaways:

-the prosecutor’s opening statement was weak. He spent most of his time explaining away all the exculpatory evidence.
- she should have never testified and her lawyers did her no favors by not objecting to certain questions.
- the defense closing was informative but boring. To be fair, he had to do the judge’s job of telling the jury about all the irrelevant evidence the judge let into the case.
- the judge is terrible. All the stuff about her affair, whether she did cpr, her reaction days after the event, all of it is irrelevant to whether a person could reasonably mistake one apartment for another and whether the victim made her fear for her life.
- I think she’ll get manslaughter but it Will be appealed because of all the irrelevant evidence let in.

Appeals are granted when there has been judicial error in the case. Irrelevant evidence (by your judgment) is not a judicial error, per se.

"Whether a person could reasonably mistake one apartment for another and whether the victim made her fear for her life" are not the only two issues of the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies