Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Clearly you don't have a grasp of a fundamental reality; there's personal beliefs, often which are influenced by religious myths, and the propogation of inaccurate information, and then there's fact - information rooted in tangible scientific evidence.

I've stated over and over again I don't care what people think - but often, people's personal disapproval of homosexuality is precisely why there's such a backlash and unwillingness to pass legislation to allow gays marriage rights.

The reality here is that homosexuality is a valid, natural variation of heterosexuality. What is there to "not agree" with? Not agreeing with homosexuality is no different from saying one doesn't agree with red hair - although it's less common than brown hair or black hair, it's a valid, natural variation of the majority hair colors.

Again, you continue to miss the point, and I'm tired of repeating myself. Sexuality is not a personal choice - it's a biological entity that's determined before birth and there's nothing we can do about it.

I mean, do you expect every gay, lesbian, or bisexual person to live life as you personally see fit? Denying their true feelings and having relationships with members of the opposite sex to fulfill societal standards, all the while being unhappy?

I suppose I really don't understand why you think you're even in a position to pass judgement. Why do you even have an opinion on what consenting adults choose to do?

And I'm sorry you refuse to accept the multitude of evidence which suggests that there's nothing abnormal about homosexuality, and continue to assert that there's some kind of choice involved.
The problem is that you make ASSUMPTIONS about people and use your ASSUMPTIONS to bash!

Case in point, how on EARTH can you say that I "refuse to accept the multitude of evidence which suggests there's nothing abnormal about homosexuality..."???? I haven't said ONE WORD on the subject. You made some far-fetched ASSUMPTION based SOLELY on the fact that I said I'm a Christian.

In fact, I think it is biological in nature and I SUPPORT same-sex unions. But I certainly wouldn't go out on a limb and publicly support your cause BECAUSE of the way you and people who behave as you do treat others. I find it appalling.

You say we have no right to "pass judgment" and I agree. But when you say people have no right to hold opinions, you are behaving in a fascist-like manner and no one supports that sort of thing. The real laughable bit is that you PASS JUDGMENT on people who say they are Christians, you call our faith a set of "myths," and you ascribe a negative set of ideas to us just because we belong to a church.

And you wonder why you're not largely supported by the public? Treat people better and you might be. Or would that ruin your self-fulfilling prophecy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 01:26 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Again, you continue to miss the point, and I'm tired of repeating myself. Sexuality is not a personal choice - it's a biological entity that's determined before birth and there's nothing we can do about it.
You clearly don't understand the difference between "sexuality" and "sexual expression." Yes, "sexuality" may be hard-wired but everyone has a choice about their "sexual expression." You can act on your "sexuality" (and in a variety of ways) or not. And those decisions are made from a variety of beliefs, not just religious ones.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:37 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
wow, what a stupid thread. a liberal who thinks they are more progressive and educated than the previous generation. that's probably why our educational system is 18th nationally. it's all those smart younger people.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
wow, what a stupid thread. a liberal who thinks they are more progressive and educated than the previous generation. that's probably why our educational system is 18th nationally. it's all those smart younger people.

that's your opinion. the "liberal" is making sense. fyi, one does not have to be "liberal" to believe in equal rights and privileges for all americans. your agenda is to bash those who are against your viewpoint.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:43 PM

actually, you are wrong. you didn't ask my opinion, you made an assumption. if you want to know someones viewpoint, ask for it. you know the old saying about when you assume. I took direct statements from him and made a conclusion.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:45 PM

as for this liberal making sense. below are two quotes from the original post.

"California, Maine, and Massachussetts all offer some kind of same-sex partnership laws. And with older, conservative generations being replaced by younger, more educated, and less religious young people, it's only a matter of time before every state recognizes same-sex unions."

" Because quite frankly, as a gay man, I don't think it's the governments right to tell me who I can and can't marry."

ok, read them both carefully. he wants the state to pass a law recognizing same sex unions. he then says he doesn't think it's the governments right to tell him who he can and can't marry. which is it? do you want the law passed telling you who you can marry or don't you?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:

"California, Maine, and Massachussetts all offer some kind of same-sex partnership laws. And with older, conservative generations being replaced by younger, more educated, and less religious young people, it's only a matter of time before every state recognizes same-sex unions."

" Because quite frankly, as a gay man, I don't think it's the governments right to tell me who I can and can't marry."

ok, read them both carefully. he wants the state to pass a law recognizing same sex unions. he then says he doesn't think it's the governments right to tell him who he can and can't marry. which is it? do you want the law passed telling you who you can marry or don't you?

what he is saying is that 2 consenting adults should have the liberty to engage in a legal marital contract if he/she chooses to do so. currently, the gov't is telling him that he MUST marry the opposite sex only if he wants that privilege. he wants the law to be sex neutral. what's so hard to understand?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM

269 posts, read 812,083 times
Quote:

***Butting in***

OK, just a little note... With a law stating that you CAN'T marry gay couples, that IS telling you STRAIGHT UP in black and white LAW who you can and can't marry...

If the law CHANGES to "allow" you, then noooo... it's NOT telling you who you can and can't marry as they're just giving them the same rights as anyone else... So now, you CAN marry who you do or don't want to marry... Just because a law passes saying you "can" marry same sex, doesn't mean you HAVE to... they're just giving you equal rights as heteros...

Yeah... that's about it. Unless I misunderstood that post... So that's my contribution... Frankly, the only reason I decided to have a say was because this one didn't make sense... Been reading this post for DAYS now with the apparent clash in opinion and it's still going strong... Oh well, gives me something to read at work...

***Butting out***

Old 04-18-2008, 02:08 PM

so let me get this strait, the government created this problem, now we are looking to the government to give us a solution? see, I do not believe in the so called institution of marriage. between anyone. what is a marriage. as I see it, it's a celebration of two people. it's a get together of friends. it can be religious, it can be non religious. it can be whatever you want. but what makes a marriage a marriage? a freaking license from the state. like I said, the government created this problem. you shouldn't need a license to get married. government, as it always does, created this problem to pit people against each other. I could care less who gets married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
what he is saying is that 2 consenting adults should have the liberty to engage in a legal marital contract if he/she chooses to do so. currently, the gov't is telling him that he MUST marry the opposite sex only if he wants that privilege. he wants the law to be sex neutral. what's so hard to understand?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
But I certainly wouldn't go out on a limb and publicly support your cause BECAUSE of the way you and people who behave as you do treat others. I find it appalling.
We've had this discussion before, more or less. So I'm just repeating myself, but I'll go ahead and do so. I don't think you give people a chance. Also, I think it's illogical not to support someone's rights and privileges because you met some members of that group who are jerks. What sense does that really make? I can tell you--I grew up around some narrow-minded, bigoted Christians, but I got out in the world and I learned well that not all Christians are like them...not at all. But, in spite of all I've learned, should I just continue to say, "I'm not supporting any of you Christians because some particularly un-Christian ones made high school hell for me." ? I don't like to be abrasive in general, but geez. It really doesn't make any sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies