Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:44 PM

200 posts, read 121,815 times

Advertisements

You know, what I've always found interesting was the fact that there seems to be a link between rejection of religion, or secularism, amongst a large portion of a given population and progressive thinking and legislature. In the case of same-sex marriage laws or civil unions, there is a definitive link between less religious countries and acceptance of homosexuality and same-sex laws. This is true in Belgium, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, France, UK, Sweden, and Norway, among others.

The US on the other hand, is a bit of an anomaly, being one of the most developed and wealthy countries in the world, still is bound by anachronous and conservative Christian ideology - so ingrained into the cultural fabric of the country that it has a very real affect on same-sex legislature.

Self-righteous types who oppose same-sex marriage because their religion says it's wrong, and will go to extreme lengths to maintain the "sanctity" of marriage. This has less to do, I think, with preserving historically definitions of marriage, but rather is a result of hate, fear, and ignorance - all a direct result of biblical passage.

California, Maine, and Massachussetts all offer some kind of same-sex partnership laws. And with older, conservative generations being replaced by younger, more educated, and less religious young people, it's only a matter of time before every state recognizes same-sex unions.

Because quite frankly, as a gay man, I don't think it's the governments right to tell me who I can and can't marry. Whether I chose to be gay, or am biologically just attracted to other men, my personal life choices are just that, mine. And as a tax payer and contributer to society, I resent that a book written 2,000 years ago by men which led to a religion that I don't even subscribe to, is used as justification to deny me equal rights.

Yes, there will always be religious people who oppose same-sex marriage, but the time has come that religious fundamentalism (which so far has proved completely off base in every assertion and/or explanation it has given of...well, everything) step out of social issues and stay where it belongs, because social issues demand fair and balanced reason, and reason is something that religion is notoriously lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 01:56 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Self-righteous types who oppose same-sex marriage because their religion says it's wrong, and will go to extreme lengths to maintain the "sanctity" of marriage. This has less to do, I think, with preserving historically definitions of marriage, but rather is a result of hate, fear, and ignorance - all a direct result of biblical passage.

California, Maine, and Massachussetts all offer some kind of same-sex partnership laws. And with older, conservative generations being replaced by younger, more educated, and less religious young people, it's only a matter of time before every state recognizes same-sex unions.
So what you are saying is that those who are religious and disapprove of gay marriage are less-educated, and older; that those who oppose gay marriage do so out of hate, fear, and ignorance...

Old 04-02-2008, 02:06 PM

The crux of the argument for the opposition of same-sex marriage has been religion, particularly Christianity. Fire-and-brimstone sermons from pastors incite fear and promote hate among many church-going people.

And yes, the trend seems to be that those who oppose same-sex marriage are mostly uneducated and older. Or simply ignorant. There is absolutely no sound reason to deny a group of people with an alternative, but just-as-valid sexual orientation.

Do you care to tell me what other factors could make someone oppose gay marriage?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:06 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
[quote=MamaBee;3334496]So what you are saying is that those who are religious and disapprove of gay marriage are less-educated, and older; that those who oppose gay marriage do so out of hate, fear, and ignorance...[/quote

Well, one of the most repeated reasons against gay marriage is the bible. Funny how the bible views homosexuality is still relevant, yet what the bible says about heterosexuals sleeping around and getting pregnant outside of marriage is out of date and is no longer listened to.

Methinks what is good for the hetero goose is good for the gay gander

Old 04-02-2008, 02:12 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Well, one of the most repeated reasons against gay marriage is the bible. Funny how the bible views homosexuality is still relevant, yet what the bible says about heterosexuals sleeping around and getting pregnant outside of marriage is out of date and is no longer listened to.

Not to mention divorce and remarriage. I would think that destroys the "sanctity" of marriage more than allowing gays to marry.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM

I just wanted to make sure that I had your argument correct...that those who disagree are basically ignorant, old, hateful, and full of fear. Those who are religious are out of step with modern times.

So tell me, where does one get their morals and values if not from religion?

Old 04-02-2008, 02:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So what you are saying is that those who are religious and disapprove of gay marriage are less-educated, and older; that those who oppose gay marriage do so out of hate, fear, and ignorance...

that is pretty much true. if you look at the results of states where they've had anti-gay referendums/propositions, you will find that organized religion has always been there donating its time, money and sway over its members' opinions.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Another thought, is it possible to make a case for your perceived rights without attacking a group of people? Seems pretty divisive to me.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

Even funnier is how biblical explanations of the age of the Earth, comical explanations of reproduction and animal species, and disproved or unsubstanciated "historical" occurances are irrelevant as well.

I mean, if you're going to use the bible to oppose and deny gays and lesbians equal rights, go ahead and teach kids that the story of Adam & Eve sufficiently and accurately describes the process by which homo sapiens arose.

Oh, and that the sun revolves around the Earth.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 PM

And where there is a large population of liberals there are organized groups donating time, money, and sway over their own causes such as sustainability and gay rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies