Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So tell me, where does one get their morals and values if not from religion?
Certainly not only from religion. I see religion as supplying its fair share of hate and bigotry.
You’ve been involved in discussions about this very topic.

Quote:
And where there is a large population of liberals there are organized groups donating time, money, and sway over their own causes such as sustainability and gay rights.
Wow, are religious and obviously conservative people against sustainability? Who knew?

Quote:
Wow, another ignoramus...thanks for pointing that out camping, you helped prove my point. Not everyone is the same as everyone else...not all Christians are bible-thumping lunatics...nor are all people opposed to gay marriage ignorant, hateful, fearful, and old.
Where did any say that ALL people are anything? Except for some Christians who say that ALL gay/lesbians are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
Gay marriage should not be allowed. PERIOD!!

Marriage is between a man and a woman.
If two men want to be together, or two woman, then there should be a union or a partnership between them...... but not a marriage.

This way we can all tell the difference.

Leave well enough alone.
Factually, you are incorrect.
Don’t believe in gay marriage, don’t marry someone gay (or lesbian).
Pretty simple. No one is forcing you to do anything against your will. Yet you are proposing to do so to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
why do gays have to marry, they can fornicate without saying I do. Marriage gives them privlidges and benefits that are meant to protect children and families. Gays should not share in these benefits unless children are involved and then only to support those children.

Has nothing to do with religion
Why do children and families need special protections? It’s a choice to have a kid.
They already get free schooling. Cut all the tax breaks for marriage and children and you’ve got an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Straight people hate gay people because they find their sex acts, the sodomy, so highly repulsive and grossly offensive. In fact, many such people would not commit sodomy even with the opposite sex. Getting that close to anybody like that is just too much over the top. After all, there must have been a reason from another era to have laws forbidding sodomy.
So, I guess lesbians commit sodomy, too? How well educated are you sexually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 PM

36 posts, read 298,371 times
While I wouldn't personally vote to expand marriage beyond the traditional one man/one woman definition to gay , polygamous or anything else, I can at least accept it if it is voted on democratically and it passes that way, either through state legislatures or referendums.
What I oppose is social liberals trying to get the changes made by getting some liberal judge to impose it on all of us whether we want it or not by finding some new found right that isn't written anywhere except in the mind of the judge.
If gays want gay marriage, do it the old fashioned way, go out and change people's minds through the democratic process.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,808 times
Any kind of commitment is nice to see in this day and age

Old 04-03-2008, 07:10 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Certainly not only from religion. I see religion as supplying its fair share of hate and bigotry.
You’ve been involved in discussions about this very topic.

Wow, are religious and obviously conservative people against sustainability? Who knew?

Where did any say that ALL people are anything? Except for some Christians who say that ALL gay/lesbians are bad.

Factually, you are incorrect.
Don’t believe in gay marriage, don’t marry someone gay (or lesbian).
Pretty simple. No one is forcing you to do anything against your will. Yet you are proposing to do so to others.

Why do children and families need special protections? It’s a choice to have a kid.
They already get free schooling. Cut all the tax breaks for marriage and children and you’ve got an argument.

So, I guess lesbians commit sodomy, too? How well educated are you sexually?
You see what you want in postings...the OP did in fact state that ALL people who are opposed to gay marriage are characteristically uneducated, ignorant, hateful, fearful, and old.

Nowhere in this post did I say that gays must be stopped at all costs from marrying. You've seen my posts before about this. If they approach it as a democratic process and the legislature of that particular state agrees to it...who cares?! Using the judicial system to get this done is the wrong way about it...it only creates hostility among those who see it as undemocratic.

"No one is forcing you to do anything against your will" is laughable...

Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
This issue shouldn't be the big debate that it is. How does two people regardless of sex getting married affect you? It shouldn't. It's a private matter that is nobody else's business other than the people getting married and their families.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
This issue shouldn't be the big debate that it is. How does two people regardless of sex getting married affect you? It shouldn't. It's a private matter that is nobody else's business other than the people getting married and their families.
Why only two people, then? Why not three? Or five? Or ten?

After all, it's their private, collective business, right?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM

200 posts, read 121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
why do gays have to marry, they can fornicate without saying I do. Marriage gives them privlidges and benefits that are meant to protect children and families. Gays should not share in these benefits unless children are involved and then only to support those children.

Has nothing to do with religion
Right, because every straight couple who gets married and is awarded the same financial, health, and beneficiary advantages of marriage has kids, right?

I don't know about you, but I know a number of straight married couples who don't have kids, either because they didn't want them, or because they couldn't have them.

Flawed argument.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
You sound like you have issues too...how can you possibly accuse someone of being hateful when nothing of the sort has been said? Because they disagree with choices some people make in life it makes them hateful? Lots of people would disagree with things I've done in my life and choices I make but I wouldn't accuse them of being hateful...or scared. Are you in touch with reality?

Where on earth did you get that number...1/3 of suicides are because the person was gay? Please provide a source.
First of all, who do you think you are to continuously suggest that others have issues? Let me guess - you have the keen ability to diagnose mental and/or emotional issues in posters over a computer screen.

Get over yourself.

Secondly, who are you to pass judgement on homosexuals? Whether it's a choice or not (which it's not), it's none of your business who someone else chooses to love. And yes, it's hateful and incredibly ignorant to suggest that someone's valid sexual preference is "unagreeable".

One, I doubt they'd care what you personally think, and two, no one asked you, so why give your opininon on the matter in the first place?

I don't "agree" with heterosexuality - I have no interest whatsoever in being with a woman, still I'm not going to go around saying desparaging, insulting things to heterosexuals about the lifestyle they "choose" to live.

You really need to get off your high horse.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why only two people, then? Why not three? Or five? Or ten?

After all, it's their private, collective business, right?
Changing the definition of marriage from one man to woman to include two men or two women is not radically changing the definition.

Heterosexuality and homosexuality are both valid preferences which have existed since the beginning of time. Why deny homosexuals this right?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You see what you want in postings...the OP did in fact state that ALL people who are opposed to gay marriage are characteristically uneducated, ignorant, hateful, fearful, and old.

Nowhere in this post did I say that gays must be stopped at all costs from marrying. You've seen my posts before about this. If they approach it as a democratic process and the legislature of that particular state agrees to it...who cares?! Using the judicial system to get this done is the wrong way about it...it only creates hostility among those who see it as undemocratic.

"No one is forcing you to do anything against your will" is laughable...
Let me ask you something - was there ever a vote to allow straights to marry? No. So why then should their be a "democratic process" to give gays and lesbians equal protection under the law?

I pay taxes and I contribute to society, and I'm gay. I have a problem with you telling me I need to get the permission of the US voting population (overwhelmingly straight people) to marry the person I love.

Now that's ridiculous and undemocratic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies