Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That won't ever happen. If a person is too poor to pay for a vaccination, he's too poor to pay a hospital bill.
CVS and WALGREENS ALWAYS GIVE FREE FLU SHOTS TO ANYONE!!! There is NO reason why anybody doesn't get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't think genuinely poor people should be penalized anyway. Ideally, they'd have access to free or low-cost vaccines, one way or another.
See above. ^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Well if the vaccines work you won’t have to worry about getting sick.
No 100% necessarily. You may still get the flu but a milder form.

Quote:

2) Vaccines are not effective on those who don't receive them, such as the very young, the very old, pregnant women in some cases, or those with compromised immune systems. Those groups of people rely on herd immunity, which is only achieved if those who CAN get vaccines, do so.
What? Perhaps some are of the herd mentality but a child relies on the parents. People with compromised immune systems play Russian roulette when they get a flu shot. I got a pneumonia shot in 2001 and it exasperated my MS big time! I was out of work for 6 months because my arms and hands were paralyzed. It could happen with a flu shot also. I take my chances though. I have already gotten this year's flu shot but I did not get the new, stronger one for seniors. I am, quite frankly, afraid to get the more powerful one. I will take more chances that I will be okay.

Us Boomers got ALL the vaccines available and there wasn't much Autism out there.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
(Obviously anybody who truly cannot get vaccines for doctor-verified health reasons would be exempt)

Before anyone suggests it, assume that welfare won't be entirely eliminated from everyone (realistically it won't).

But in Australia, families who don't vaccinate don't get welfare benefits. Miraculously, there was a surge of families who apparently decided that vaccines don't cause autism after all!

Would the same thing be effective in the US? Or alternatively, not allowing them to use the child tax credit.

In a perfect world, there would be non-government strategies to deal with this, but we live in a government world (and that won't change anytime soon), so non-government solutions wouldn't likely work.

No, there are no strings attached.... You have been purchased and told what to do.

Is their any alimony in the divorce?

Old 09-17-2018, 10:22 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
CVS and WALGREENS ALWAYS GIVE FREE FLU SHOTS TO ANYONE!!! There is NO reason why anybody doesn't get one.

I have already gotten this year's flu shot but I did not get the new, stronger one for seniors. I am, quite frankly, afraid to get the more powerful one. I will take more chances that I will be okay.
Did you just contradict yourself?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So is there and epidemic of welfare recipients getting childhood diseases?
Yes, along with other people they spread it to. Keep in mind (for the nth time) "welfare" does not mean the same thing in Australia. This is people of various income levels who get child care deductions.

A sampling:
Boy, 15, diagnosed with meningococcal disease, in ninth case in Tasmania in two months - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
From a week ago today: Whooping cough cases spike in Tasmania, with at-risk urged to get vaccinated - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
"There have been almost 100 cases reported in Tasmania this year, up from 40 last year and 30 and 31 in 2016 and 2015 respectively."
https://www.coffscoastadvocate.com.a...coast/3513073/
"LOCAL health authorities are again asking people to watch for symptoms of measles with four cases now confirmed in the Coffs Harbour to Woolgoolga area. ...A further suspected case in an infant is being investigated. The cases occurred after two unvaccinated school-aged children returned from an overseas holiday with the disease and infected two classmates. ... Three of the four primary school-aged children are unvaccinated."

This actually started in December 2015, due to previous outbreaks.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/w...-play-pay.html
This case was widely publicized: https://www.mamamia.com.au/vaccination-whooping-cough/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

See above. ^^^^^^^^^

No 100% necessarily. You may still get the flu but a milder form.

What? Perhaps some are of the herd mentality but a child relies on the parents. People with compromised immune systems play Russian roulette when they get a flu shot. I got a pneumonia shot in 2001 and it exasperated my MS big time! I was out of work for 6 months because my arms and hands were paralyzed. It could happen with a flu shot also. I take my chances though. I have already gotten this year's flu shot but I did not get the new, stronger one for seniors. I am, quite frankly, afraid to get the more powerful one. I will take more chances that I will be okay.

Us Boomers got ALL the vaccines available and there wasn't much Autism out there.
Even though I'm very pro-vaccine, I have to say it is untrue that these stores give free flu vaccines. What they are advertising is vaccine with no co-pay, as I have tried to explain several times over.
https://www.health.com/cold-flu-sinu...flu-shots-2017
Here are some low-cost resources: https://20somethingfinance.com/where...ree-flu-shots/

When I worked for the Denver VNA flu program, we gave some free shots at homeless shelters.

You're right that Boomers got vaccinated. There were more antigens (the part of the disease-causing agent, such as a virus or a bacterium that the immune system learns to recognize and fight) in the vaccine schedule then, which included the smallpox vaccine and oral polio vaccine, than there is now.
VacciNerds Explain: 5 things you probably didn't know about vaccines | HealthMap
"In 1900, the only vaccine that was routinely given to children was the smallpox vaccine, which contained roughly 200 antigens. In 1960, kids routinely received five vaccines, totaling 3,217 antigens. In 1980, the seven vaccines administered contained 3,041 antigens. ...In 2000? The 11 routine vaccines contained fewer than 150."
There have been two vaccines added since 2000-the rotavirus vaccine for infants and the HPV vaccine for adolescents. Still, kids these days are getting far fewer antigens than we got in the 1950s/60s.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
This seems like a mean-spirited attempt at controlling people on welfare. Most people who refuse vaccines do so because they're worried about the complications and indeed there are complications - allergic reactions and sometimes the vaccine can even lead to infection when they inject the weakened form of the virus.

Speaking to myself - I'm very weary of many vaccines. I never taken the Flu vaccination and have forbidden my family from doing so. In contrast, I never get the Flu either (or my symptoms are so mild, I mistake it for the common cold). Let people decide what's best for their health. Everyone wants to be healthy, no need to police them.
Severe adverse reactions to vaccines are very rare, on the order of one in a million doses.

One childhood vaccine that can cause an infection is the oral polio vaccine, which is not used in the US. We use only the killed injection form. Sometimes the chickenpox vaccine will cause a few pox at the injection site.

People with immune deficiencies should not get live vaccines because they may get a symptomatic infection from the weakened virus. Those with normal immune systems do not have that risk.

The problem is that we rely on herd immunity to protect those who cannot be vaccinated because they are too young or have medical contraindications. That is why everyone who can be vaccinated should be. For every vaccine we have, the risk of the vaccine is far less than the risk of the disease it prevents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The vaccine craze has gone wild, and it's all because the drug companies like to make money. A small number of vaccines may be helpful, but there are more and more new ones that are more likely to harm than to help.

Getting vaccines is not natural, and the body can react in unexpected ways. Especially if you are only one day old.

It is getting ridiculous.

And medical researchers don't dare investigate a connection with autism. That has been completely stamped out, even though there are very good reasons to think there can be a connection.

And don't think the drug companies don't influence the government. They can't be sued for damage related to vaccines. They have the public believing the more vaccines you get the healthier you will be. Vaccines are being required for certain jobs. Start questioning this BS!
New vaccines are developed to protect against diseases that can maim and kill. If those diseases were not significant threats there would be no vaccines for them. No vaccine would be approved for use in children if it caused more harm than good. As far as new vaccines are concerned, the Haemophilus Influenzae Type B (Hib) Vaccine, for example resulted in the incidence of cases of meningitis and other disease caused by the organism dropping from about 20,000 per year in children under age five prior to the vaccine to 29 cases in 2006.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/co...zae-type-b-hib

The diseases that vaccines prevent are certainly "natural". They can make you very sick and sometimes cause permanent disability or death. Vaccines work with the immune system, which responds naturally in the same way it would respond to a "natural" infection.The only vaccine given to newborns is for hepatitis B, and it has been shown to be safe and effective in that age group.

Vaccines do not cause autism. There are now hundreds of studies showing that, but if anyone wanted to do more no one would prevent it. You are way out in conspiracy theory territory if you really think someone is trying to hide a vaccine/autism connection. There isn't one.

Vaccine companies can be sued if there is an injury due to a defect in the vaccine. They cannot be sued for an adverse reaction that one in a million people have and the other 999,999 do not. That is not due to a problem with the vaccine, it is due to the rare abnormal response by some individuals to a vaccine. A vaccine maker should not be held responsible for that any more than a peanut farmer should be held responsible for someone who has a severe allergic reaction to peanuts.

We do have a system to compensate people who have serious adverse reactions to vaccines. It does not require proving in a court of law in front of a jury that the vaccine caused the alleged injury. The adverse event must just be one known to be caused by a vaccine and it must happen within a certain time frame after the vaccine is administered. Awards are not shared with attorneys, who are paid separately, even if a claim is not approved. Anyone who disagrees with the dispensation of a claim can still sue the manufacturer, potentially all the way to SCOTUS. That system, by the way, was set up with input from the anti-vax community.

https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/index.html

Yes, vaccines are required for certain jobs, primarily those in healthcare. Most people would not want someone who could potentially catch measles or chickenpox or whooping cough or flu taking care of their baby, for example, in a hospital or doctor's office.

Flu, in fact, is the infection most likely to kill in the US. That is why people in patient care should take the vaccine, so they reduce the risk of getting it from a patient or giving it to one. Some businesses are also requiring flu vaccine in order to reduce absenteeism and lost productivity.

The risks of vaccines are tiny, tiny, tiny compared to the risks of the diseases they prevent.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:03 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not all vegans reject vaccination.

https://vaxopedia.org/2017/05/19/whi...nes-are-vegan/

In the US, yes, fear of autism is a very big reason for rejecting vaccines.
My reason for rejecting vaccines is my right to refuse medical treatment as an adult. I certainly do not fear autism in my old age. I reject the paternalistic//autocratic aspect of medicine, especially when it comes to adults. I decide, not you. Understand that adults not only reject vaccines for their children, but themselves as well. Do you seriously think that these parents who are rejecting vaccines for their children, are running out getting their own Flu or Pertussis vaccinations? Maybe you need to go on some "anti-vaxx" sites and hear the comments, and exactly WHO are on them. It is not your one size fits all world.

Edit: When I rejected Hep. B. for my daughters years ago, it was because of ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. There can never be enough vaccines. You want more and more and MORE. I reject that as well. We, have conversed about this before. Again, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Last edited by Jo48; 09-17-2018 at 01:19 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 01:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My reason for rejecting vaccines is my right to refuse medical treatment as an adult. I certainly do not fear autism in my old age. I reject the paternalistic//autocratic aspect of medicine, especially when it comes to adults. I decide, not you. Understand that adults not only reject vaccines for their children, but themselves as well.
There are no required vaccines to simply reside in the US. Any required vaccines in adulthood are for employment and the like. There are recommended vaccines.

This thread is not about adult vaccines.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:12 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There are no required vaccines to simply reside in the US. Any required vaccines in adulthood are for employment and the like. There are recommended vaccines.

This thread is not about adult vaccines.
There is a recommended vaccine schedule for adults. The mandatory part is coming, unless people get them voluntarily.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
"Welfare" as the term is used in Australia is not what you two are referring to. They are referring to a child-care subsidy that is used by just about everyone.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-unvaccinated/

Medical exemptions are still allowed, but not "I think vaccines are bad" exemptions.
That depends on the State, in California the only students who can go without vaccines now are children with doctor-certified medical exemptions and those who are schooled at home.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:55 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
once we get universal healthcare the govt will be able to give you whatever vaccinations they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies