Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 01:20 PM

463 posts, read 189,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If Trump picks someone too far right, there is a chance the left will resort to violence that may rip this country apart.

The judicial system shouldn't be politicize, its a shame
How do people on the left resort to violence when they don't own any guns because only bible-thumping right-wing wackos buy those toys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 PM

326 posts, read 200,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Repped you. Appreciate the civil discourse.

I still think that you seem to be suggesting that we just throw away CA votes, because you don't like them. I am not talking about 304-172. I'm talking about how many million voted for each candidate, and the one with the greater number of votes wins.

That means that, as you pointed out, CA gets a +4M votes for Hillary, if that's how they voted. My solution does not throw out the 4M that voted for Trump, nor does it allow you to throw out the 8M that voted for Hillary. It means that if CA is +4M for either candidate, they have to make it up elsewhere. It might be 500k votes among 8 states....

The other reason I hate the EC, or even just counting states as a whole, is that it allows politicians to ignore states that are not in contention. Think about this. what if all POTUS candidates had to talk to every single voter (with their message, not litterally)? Take a totally red state, Trump can ignore them because they are in the bag for him, and Hillary could ignore them, because she has no chance of winning anyway. That ENTIRE state is marginalized. What if a candidate had to REALLY speak to the will of the American people.

What I think you might get is politicians coming more to the centrist view. It might be "too right" for me, and "too left" for you, but it would reflect compromise. Something this country has been lacking for decades.

I'm just saying, that if you think about the arguments FOR the EC, they really don't benefit our country. They, like most things political, benefit one side today, and that same side could be burned by it next time. That's not good for anyone in the long run.
Yep. I get your point! Let it be known though that I'm not for throwing away CA... I just think there needs to be a system in place that doesn't put so much weight on a single (liberal) state with a huge population.

304-172... 58.4M for Trump... 57.0M for Hillary. That's without California. A win in the popular vote and a bigger win in the EC.

The vote goes in her favor something like 65.8M to 63M when you include CA and she still loses the EC... but in the popular vote system she'd win the whole thing even though she's beaten in both PV and EV in the other 49 states.

No, I don't think 1 state should carry so much weight... as California clearly does. If they come up with something better I'm all for it. I agree with you about how candidates only campaign in a handful of states. It needs to change. I'd have loved to seen a Trump rally but I'm not traveling 1000 miles for it.. LOL

I have nothing against compromise. Repped you as well.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:54 PM

30,538 posts, read 19,279,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump supporters live in their own reality shaped by Fox News and make up their own facts.

In a little less than two months we will get a good idea on where Americans really stand on Trump. I have a feeling both Trump supporters and the Left are going to be disappointed. I think there will be a blue wave but it won't be as large or decisive as many Democrats hope because Trump still has such strong support from his base.
And Demonic Rat supporters live in their own reality shaped by the Fake Stream Media and make up their own alternative facts.

I do think this "Blue Wave" will fall far short of what the average Demonic believes led by their Fake Stream Media and Fake Polling. It could even be create the same type of shock that the last election caused by giving us a Red Wave. Of course, the trend is for the President's party to lose a large number of seats in the mid terms but this may not happen this time because the Demonics have scared the average person with their histrionics.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:05 PM

24,516 posts, read 33,357,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I think the poster is trying to say that Bush 43 and Trump might be found "illegitimate" in terms of they shouldn't have been elected in the first place. What if some panel counts the FL votes again and finds Gore won by 1000. And what if Trump only won due to Russian interference or actual vote tampering... then he'd be illegitimate.
Actually, at least one panel did count the votes after G.W. Bush was in office. And he still had the most votes.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:19 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,681,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So now Trump is the King? And you talk about other people drinking the Kool-Aid?

Too, too funny.
He's the King alright, of the Bacouz, as my Grandmother would say when someone thought they were way too important. NOT.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM

1,991 posts, read 903,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
Nope... didn't fail us... but I only graduated high school. I didn't go to college and I didn't major in history. I went to work at 18 and am still going. Still, hopefully you got the point I was trying to make and that is... if a popular vote system was good for the county... we'd have one.

Thanks for the history lesson too! I vaguely remember a lot of what you mentioned but it's been 25 years too so thanks for refreshing the memory!

I think you mean Democrats are more popular in a select few counties in a select few states... which Republicans more popular everywhere else. That's how it is here in WA (King County liberals > rest of the state) and the same applies to CA and NY.

Nothing else really to see here. Get used to the electoral college. It ain't going anywhere.
My worst nightmare on a cruise. A tablemate with a high school education expounding on their political views all through dinner.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:22 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,127,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Your was correct in that context. If you are going to correct people's grammar, please at least get it right.

WRONG!

They said:
Quote:
"Five out of nine polls have Trump with an approval rating of 37 to 38%. Given that fact your raving about Trump's guaranteed reelection sound like the babbling of a lunatic."
Meaning YOU ARE raving. Now, if they had said YOUR RAVINGS...

Yes, the grammar matters, especially coming from those that declare Trump supporters eneducated deplorables.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,383,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
All the craziness is gonna cause a huge blue wave and it’s going to be interesting to watch the reds heads explode
Trumps eccentricities are a drop in the bucket compared to the insanity from the left that liberals consider normal.

All the craziness is going to cause a huge blue circling of the drain.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,383,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If Trump picks someone too far right, there is a chance the left will resort to violence that may rip this country apart.

The judicial system shouldn't be politicize, its a shame
Are you joking? A chance? The left has been resorting to violence for YEARS already, stabbing candidates, shooting elected officials, riots, fires, looting when they lose a legal election, and on and on.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:21 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,133,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You need to wake up to the fact that the corrupt president and his cronies are not serving you. He has the same masters as the establishment democrats that you hate. You are being played. Its a game where the donors hoodwink you into believing your Goldman Sachs guy is better than those other Goldman Sachs puppets.

If you want someone to represent you, you need to stop voting for corruption. Who are their donors and you can tell who they are serving.
Dude, you and your people will be shown the door a second time next election. More televised crying losers!
What will you do then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies