Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:33 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,920,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I believe it because of people like Bill Clinton and Menendez. Simple accusations seem to railroad and destroy some people while accusations and in some cases actual proof leave them untouched and looked up to.
Perhaps it's because details matter. Clinton is certainly a sleezball in many ways, but did he commit rape?

You're telling me if the allegations against Menendez were true he wouldn't be facing charges or something similarly serious in nature?

Do you ignore examples of men in high power on all political sides being taken down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 11:41 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,990,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Perhaps it's because details matter. Clinton is certainly a sleezball in many ways, but did he commit rape?

You're telling me if the allegations against Menendez were true he wouldn't be facing charges or something similarly serious in nature?

Do you ignore examples of men in high power on all political sides being taken down?
So is the bar "committing rape" or is it just people in high power taking advantage of people sexually? There is a difference but at this point there is no proof that Kavanugh did commit rape, and I've never assume the bar was set at rape, its set lower than that in whatever parameters you would set at "sexual harassment" which is not as severe as rape.

Tell me who I'm ignoring? I gave two examples, I didn't do a research thesis to identify and detail every case known to man.

As for Menendez, there are PLENTY of allegations and rumors, but he was never harassed and assumed guilty to the same degree as Kavanaugh, and the problem with Menendez was that he was already in a pretty high level of elected power.

Last edited by t206; 09-26-2018 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Changed "men" to "people"

Old 09-26-2018, 11:50 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,920,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So is the bar "committing rape" or is it just people in high power taking advantage of people sexually? There is a difference but at this point there is no proof that Kavanugh did commit rape, and I've never assume the bar was set at rape, its set lower than that in whatever parameters you would set at "sexual harassment" which is not as severe as rape.

Tell me who I'm ignoring? I gave two examples, I didn't do a research thesis to identify and detail every case known to man.

As for Menendez, there are PLENTY of allegations and rumors, but he was never harassed and assumed guilty to the same degree as Kavanaugh, and the problem with Menendez was that he was already in a pretty high level of elected power.
I think the bar is very simple. It is that allegations (e.g. sexual harassment, sexual assault, rape) should be taken seriously and should be investigated.

And of course what is done matters. Were the two adults consenting? Even if very inappropriate (and gross), that is not equivalent to rape.

We should also remember that the incidents in regards to Clinton occurred ~20 years ago now. It likely would go very differently in today's world. He likely would have faced some wrath for his actions.

#MeToo is not about attacking conservatives. You are ignoring plenty of examples of non-conservatives being taken down for their sexual behaviors.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:12 PM

45,642 posts, read 27,250,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
all the trump supporters chanting "lock her up" were liberal?
I didn't do that... but can't argue that one.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,696,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
While the Supreme Court shenanigans continue, the liberals do not deal with Bob Menendez...

Can we have the liberal standard of guilty until proven innocent apply in this case?
He is elected...and not for life.

Next question???

Old 09-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I think the bar is very simple. It is that allegations (e.g. sexual harassment, sexual assault, rape) should be taken seriously and should be investigated.

And of course what is done matters. Were the two adults consenting? Even if very inappropriate (and gross), that is not equivalent to rape.

We should also remember that the incidents in regards to Clinton occurred ~20 years ago now. It likely would go very differently in today's world. He likely would have faced some wrath for his actions.

#MeToo is not about attacking conservatives. You are ignoring plenty of examples of non-conservatives being taken down for their sexual behaviors.
Sounds like we agree on a lot, but I never said the bolded red, I simply said it definitely seems that its not an equal application of the rules. It seems more politically motivated though.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
He is elected...and not for life.

Next question???
Being a Democrat in NJ essentially is a lifetime appointment.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:55 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,406,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This allegation was brought up years ago and investigated by the feds. Officers in the Domenican Republic have found that the women were not under age, did not know Menendez, and were paid off by a lawyer to read a prepared script on video implicating Menendez.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung.../#1375797b1c72

Not to say that Menendez isn't crooked as all get out, because he is, but the underage prostitute thing was investigated by the proper authorities and found to be false.

We can't say the same for the Kavanaugh case in which they won't even call witnesses much less allow an investigation to be opened.
Something to consider: prostitution of young people, namely women, doesn't always mean forced prostitution of <18 people. There are times where a 21-year-old woman or man might willingly choose to, as in they have no alcohol or drugs or mental condition that would lower their inhibitions, go into the sex industry.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,450,604 times
Is it possible for someone to think these allegations are serious and should be investigated? To people with their heads deep in politics it appears there's only two sides: 1.) he's guilty and needs to go, or 2.) he's the victim of a smear campaign and it's wrong to investigate the claims made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies