Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:57 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times

Advertisements

Now if only the special prosecutor remained in the hearing to actually question Kavanaugh outside of some softball questions.

Funny how everyone looks the other way at Kavanaugh's college or high school friends saying he was a sloppy drunk. What ever happened to his statement, under oath, that "I never passed out!" yet that is NOT corroborated?

I don't know, it is a shame this guy will get confirmed. Not because it is Trump's nominee. Of course we will get a conservative judge when the President and the Senate are Republican. But, they could likely find someone else without questionable credibility that we wouldn't second guess.

Remember Gorsuch? There were no allegations against that guy. The fight in the Senate was more about Republicans stonewalling Garland than it was about the nominee himself. Gorsuch is supremely qualified, even if I don't like his ideology. I was embarrassed about the fight Democrats put up about it. I understood why they did it, but they shouldn't have.

Democrats could have "made up" allegations against Gorsuch. They didn't. They had ALL the reason in the world to do so. But they didn't. This time around, it makes me think logically - I don't see why they would "make up" allegations on Kavanaugh if they didn't already do so for Gorsuch. Neither have they done it with previous Republican nominees like Alito and Roberts.

If you ask me, the right call is to do this investigation - but it is arguably just a red herring anyway. They are limited in scope such that the White House probably set them to investigate things that will have no real bearing on the outcome anyway.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I understand. Which is why "due process" does not apply in a job interview.

Kavanaugh is supposed to be a man of the law. He lied consistently and behaving in a blatantly partisan manner. For those reasons alone he should not be confirmed.
The presumption of innocence until proven guilty is a foundational principal of our nation, not just a practice in our courtrooms. If you accuse someone of something and you have no supporting evidence, no supporting witnesses and your recollection of what you're accusing is laughable at best you should expect people not to believe you.

You're parroting democrat talking points, now that you've gotten your wishes about the FBI and you know their report will come back with nothing you're desperate to paint Kavanaugh as unfit aside from the Ford accusations. Stop acting like we don't see your game, you're full of it and we know what you're doing.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:58 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
But he wasn't in a Courtroom and the situation he was put in would never make it to a Courtroom so your statements are pointless. He would never tolerate someone making unfounded and irrational accusations against someone else in his courtroom to begin with.
Exactly, it wasn't in a courtroom and witnesses were not allowed to testify. Which makes this report useless.

And I'm betting angry, belligerent Brett would never allow anyone to speak to him in his courtroom the way he spoke to some of those Senators. Not thin-skinned, privileged Brett Kavanaugh.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Let him be cross-examined under oath. Are you afraid he won't stand up to it?
He's going to be interrogated by the FBI as you people demanded, are you afraid he isn't going to change his answers? Are you afraid that the FBI will say exactly what they said before?

Old 10-01-2018, 10:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is not a criminal case, so it is irrelevant.
Exactly. I didn't think there was any chance or any "care" that this would even go forward criminally for prosecution.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Exactly, it wasn't in a courtroom and witnesses were not allowed to testify. Which makes this report useless.

And I'm betting angry, belligerent Brett would never allow anyone to speak to him in his courtroom the way he spoke to some of those Senators. Not thin-skinned, privileged Brett Kavanaugh.
If these accusations were made to the police or any legal entity it never would have made it to court nor would anyone be testifying about anything... that's the whole point of the report. This doesn't even meet the legal standard for obtaining a search warrant. How can they investigate a crime when the accuser doesn't know the date, time or location where it took place?

Old 10-01-2018, 10:02 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Who's chiding? I'm observing and taking note. As a rape survivor, I find it fascinating that out of all the things that supposedly happened to her, the overwhelming memory that is seared into her mind is two guys "laughing at her expense." It does seem to tie into her husband's statement that she felt she never received the respect and appreciation she deserved from her parents.

For a person with a degree in psychology, she sure seems to be rudimentary.
I find it completely credible that that moment was seared into her mind. It defined the experience for her. They were having FUN as they were assaulting her. Why on earth wouldn't that leave a lasting impression?

Old 10-01-2018, 10:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Well, I hate to miss all this fun but I need to go. I volunteer with an organization that teaches life and job skills to women who for the most part have been abused, neglected, grown up in poverty, or otherwise experienced challenges in life which have often destroyed their self esteem. We teach them REAL empowerment, REAL skills, REAL principles of taking charge of one's own life and destiny, and guess what we start each semester with - a week long lesson in establishing healthy boundaries, moving past the past, not letting past failures or experiences define our future, etc.

We have a very high success rate in employment and positive life changes with these women, by the way.

We keep politics completely out of the room and focus on individual responsibility instead.

I love this organization! It's so much more positive and truly helpful than any of this crap going on on the political stage right now. Real change in real lives of real women who have had real setbacks.

They're not sitting around contemplating their navels for 35 years. They can't afford to do that, can't afford decades of counseling, "processing," whatever. They can't afford to host Google interns via a second front door. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.

Almost without exception, these women have been victims of sexual exploitation - by fathers, stepfathers, uncles, boyfriends, husbands, you name it. None of them went to private schools or frat parties - some of them don't even have a GED. I'm not saying that sexual abuse doesn't happen and isn't traumatic in every social strata, but what I am saying is that often, things are a matter of perspective. Any of these women would count themselves lucky of what supposedly happened to CBF was all that had happened to them.

They are brave women.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-01-2018 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 10:03 AM

29,501 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Um, do you think I am pro abortion? You obviously haven't read my posts.

It was a generalized statement...sort of paralleling the "They're are not coming for your guns" rhetoric spewed by many... you obviously didn't get it.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:03 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
And there were no witnesses allowed to testify and be cross-examined, so of course there wouldn't be enough evidence to bring charges. It wasn't allowed to be heard. That wouldn't have happened in a court of law.

Basically, she is admitting this was nothing like a court of law.
The "witnesses" did with the Judicial Committee Investigators exactly what the will do with the FBI - answer the questions under a Penalty of Felony for truth -- Were you at this party described by Blasey Ford and have you ever seen or known of this type of behavior about Brett Kavanaugh as described by Blasey Ford? They all said NO. Questions asked/answered under Penalty of Felony.

Of course it wasn't a "Court of Law" ..... we KNOW from the Leftists that Judge Kavinaugh was presumed GUILTY and is somehow supposed to prove his Innocence. That sure doesn't work in a Court of Law - it can only work in the Leftist Hang'em High Media character assassination and Fart Inspection report.

NOBODY - Including Rachel Mitchell was allowed to "cross examine" the little 15 year old girl who testified to the SJC under Oath of Felony. NOBODY dared - there would be a Feeding Frenzy if anyone even attempted it. Ms Mitchell very, very carefully guided Blasey Ford to expose her inconsistencies and the outright lie that she was just too scared and claustrophobic to FLY ..... due to her trauma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies