Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,585,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Don't like either side in this. I find the allegations (the serious ones) somewhat credible, impossible to disprove or disprove.
That's pretty much the opposite of credible, innit?

Quote:
I don't like Kavanaugh's policies.
OK. But, he doesn't make policy. He's a conservative jurist.

Quote:
The democrats are in kangaroo court territory though. They read testimony from sexual assault survivors on the Senate floor last night. That has what, exactly, to do with this case? If I'm accused of murder, it's acceptable for people who suffered from completely unrelated murders to give anguished testimony of what they felt when somebody else committed a crime against their loved one? That's the textbook definition of character assassination. It's manipulation of emotions with evidence completely unrelated to the case at hand. Unbelievable. Speaking as a "Bernie Bro," so defined by the same group of classless people, I'm of sick of it. I'll never vote for Trump, but where is the alternative? I won't vote on policy alone. Show me a shred of integrity, if you have any left.

Susan Collins was right. If the political shenanigans and despicable tactics were out of this, it would look different.
Yes. The Democrats were trying to run a Kafkaesque Trial.

#Believe

“It's only because of their stupidity that they're able to be so sure of themselves.” ...

“Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything truly wrong, he was arrested.” ...

“...it is an essential part of the justice dispensed here that you should be condemned not only in innocence but also in ignorance.”

― Franz Kafka, The Trial

Old 10-06-2018, 10:25 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
No.

I have no interest in reading those links.

Rather, I am curious as to why you appear to believe that some people will be squeezed out of the electoral process.

Can you reply with your thoughts?
I have no interest in supplanting your curiosity. Do the work. Think for yourself.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That is different than calling them after they have made the official statement under penalty of perjury and asking them to change that sworn statement. Can you not see the difference?
No, because Ford did not call anyone and ask them to change their statement. "A person close to the former classmates told the Journal she believed mutual friends of both Ford and Keyser – including McLean – simply reached out to Keyser to warn her that her statement was being used by Republicans as vindication for Kavanagh and if she felt she needed to clarify what she meant, she should. The person said the mutual friends did not “pressure” Keyser." https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fri...on-allegations

Witness tampering is a serious crime, and even if Kavanaugh's actions don't meet the criteria for a charge of witness tampering they certainly appear to be inappropriate. NBC News's Heidi Przbyla and Leigh Ann Caldwell write that Kavanaugh and his team were trying to refute Ramirez’s allegations BEFORE they became public.
“The texts between Berchem and Karen Yarasavage, both friends of Kavanaugh, suggest that the nominee was personally talking with former classmates about Ramirez’s story in advance of the New Yorker article that made her allegation public. In one message, Yarasavage said Kavanaugh asked her to go on the record in his defense. Two other messages show communication between Kavanaugh's team and former classmates in advance of the story. In a series of texts before the publication of the New Yorker story, Yarasavage wrote that she had been in contact with ‘Brett's guy,’ and also with ‘Brett,’ who wanted her to go on the record to refute Ramirez. According to Berchem, Yarasavage also told her friend that she turned over a copy of the wedding party photo to Kavanaugh, writing in a text: ‘I had to send it to Brett’s team too.’” https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/fir...ematic-n915771

In this particular incident Kavanaugh also lied to Congress, claiming that he first heard about the Ramirez claims on Sept. 23 when he read about it in the New Yorker but there are texts from July in which he discusses the Ramirez allegations.

Per NBC: "Further, the texts show Kavanaugh may need to be questioned about how far back he anticipated that Ramirez would air allegations against him. Berchem says in her memo that Kavanaugh “and/or” his friends “may have initiated an anticipatory narrative” as early as July to “conceal or discredit” Ramirez." https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...idence-n915566

Old 10-06-2018, 10:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Here's the reason: The court is to rule on what the law says in cases brought before it. Liberals believe that the court should be another legislative body, which interprets law not as written, but taking into account popular political views (which change with the wind), and imposing their political views. That is NOT what a judge is to do. This is why it is important to have judges on the Supreme Court that believe that 'Lady Justice' is still blind, and who look at the original intent of the law and the Constitution, without regard for popular opinion.
If thats the case then both parties wont be hellbent on nominating their own.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:35 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
Boy, wish it was a full moon tonight so the crazy's can howl at it after Kavanaugh's gets confirmed.

Congrats SCJ Kavanaugh.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:38 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,738,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I hope he nominates Ann Coulter when RBG has no EKG.
LOL, Nominating Ann Coulter would cause the sun to go super nova, the solar system would cease to exist.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:38 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,585,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I have no interest in supplanting your curiosity. Do the work. Think for yourself.
You posted the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Some folks are rightfully concerned about 'losing' the American democratic system, concerned about middle class Americans being squeezed out of the electoral process by organized economic power...
So, you made an assertion.

I am asking you to explain why you believe that although nobody will lose his/her right and ability to vote due to organized economic power, there is nonetheless a rational fear that some people will be squeezed out of the electoral process.

How is that fear rational?

Don't tell me to do the work or to think for myself. If you have no intelligent reply, just say so.

Or, back up your assertion with some explanation.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:40 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What success are you talking about? Corporate judges on the supreme court is not a success for 99.9% of the population because they serve their donors and ensure that it is impossible to run for office and win without begging the donor class for money. How do you personally benefit from this? Do you donate at least half a million per election cycle to the candidates who serve you?

Record unemployment, for all.
Stock market soaring to new heights.
Exit from the horrifically BAD "DEALS" Obama made.
Tax Cuts!
Liberal heads exploding coast-to-coast.

The list could go on and on, but most importantly:

Gorsuch and Kavanaugh appointed to the SCOTUS for LIFE!

MAGA!!!

Old 10-06-2018, 10:40 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,006,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
LOL, Nominating Ann Coulter would cause the sun to go super nova, the solar system would cease to exist.
Well the Sun is a Liberal - it's a Star!

Old 10-06-2018, 10:44 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I hope he nominates Ann Coulter when RBG has no EKG.
Judge Jeanine has a lot more judicial experience if she can just calm her screechy shrill voice down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies