Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:17 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
From what I read about Connor Lamb who won special election--he was very focused on local concerns
The ACA, jobs, and other factors--can't remember now cause he is not my representative--but I donated to his campaign
I think smart Democratic candidates (and I include Beto O'Rourke) are trying to not use the DNC that much
Try for grass roots volunteers and donations and not really campaign against Trump as much as the person they are running against

The ones who can't seem to stay away from Trump are people like the FL guy running for governor whose ad shows his reading Trump stories to his kids...
There are others who are calling themselves more Trump than Trump

So maybe the GOP needs a real message as well...
I guess lowest unemployment in 49 years, lowest black unemployment in history, lowest hispanic unemployment in history, lowest female unemployment in history, highest stock market, dealing with NOKO, dealing with CHINA isn't enough for you? How about all the getting rid of the stupid regulations? What MSNBC talking head is telling you that the GOP has no platform?

Old 10-06-2018, 09:17 AM

18,029 posts, read 27,479,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What is up with the bizarre cultish chanting the Kavanaugh protestors are doing?

https://twitter.com/jeffgiesea/statu...09970616066048

That's a technique used on preschoolers to get them to pay attention. Are the protestors no more cognizant than 3 or 4 year olds?
Robotic groupthink freaks.

So, I thank the Democrats for attempting such a scandalous stunt so as to drive a few of our lost souls back to their senses and into the virtue of loyalty, namely Collins, McConnell, Flake, etc.

Red rover red rover, send Manchin on over. We'll trade you with Murkowski. Wow, Sarah Palin is still not too hard on the eyes huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post

Don't Manchin it!
I would just go ahead and buy her the box of saltines, but hey, that's just me, ymmv.

So the Dims overreached. Wonder what their next play will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Don't like either side in this. I find the allegations (the serious ones) somewhat credible, impossible to disprove or disprove.
Here, I'll help you out.

Kavanaugh didn't touch Christine Blasey with a 10 foot poll, he didn't expose himself to anybody, and he didn't gang rape anybody nor spike any punch.

All three of those disgusting allegations were birthed out of the Democrat Party agenda to thwart President Donald J Trump from succeeding as he has been and will continue to do so.

Boomerang. Keep pounding yourselves in the crotch idiotic liberals. We love it.

-4° <this is what Kavanaugh went to go do when Christine showed up at the party.

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-06-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-06-2018, 09:18 AM

988 posts, read 683,529 times
Don't like either side in this. I find the allegations (the serious ones) somewhat credible, impossible to disprove or disprove. I don't like Kavanaugh's policies.

The democrats are in kangaroo court territory though. They read testimony from sexual assault survivors on the Senate floor last night. That has what, exactly, to do with this case? If I'm accused of murder, it's acceptable for people who suffered from completely unrelated murders to give anguished testimony of what they felt when somebody else committed a crime against their loved one? That's the textbook definition of character assassination. It's manipulation of emotions with evidence completely unrelated to the case at hand. Unbelievable. Speaking as a "Bernie Bro," so defined by the same group of classless people, I'm of sick of it. I'll never vote for Trump, but where is the alternative? I won't vote on policy alone. Show me a shred of integrity, if you have any left.

Susan Collins was right. If the political shenanigans and despicable tactics were out of this, it would look different.

Last edited by unwillingphoenician; 10-06-2018 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
1) Presumption of innocence applies not only in criminal proceedings, but in how you or I, or anyone else judges a situation. If you've ever had a verbal altercation in your life over an accusation that can't be proved, you should know this. Ergo, you DO know this. Also, he was under oath during the testimony, so set aside your semantics of job interview vs trial. If perjury matters (and it does), then so does presumption of innocence.

2) I keep hearing the term choir boy as a description Kav is playing up. I listened to every word of his testimony, he admitted to drinking in school, therefore not taking advantage of the term. Perhaps he considered himself a bore compared to others, perhaps not. Same for CBF. She paints herself as one way, her yearbook and other stories speak to a promiscuous youth. So for both of them, perspective is key.

3) So we can both agree that perjury DOES matter. There is plenty in CBF's testimony that indicates untruthful statements. For every accusation of perjury against BK, we could throw one up for CBF.

Collins was 100% correct. You cannot abandon presumption of innocence. And without solid corroborating evidence, you cannot find someone guilty. Whether that's at a trial, a job interview, a three ring circus. Whatever you want to call it matters little when it won't change your view of what happened, it won't change the truth, and it won't change the outcome.

The only losers in this entire crapshow are the victims of sexual abuse who will now - yet again - have to weigh the risks of coming forward against the emotional fallout of keeping silent. In this particular instance, I think CBF agreed with DiFi's agenda & condoned an exaggeration about her past to include a wrongful accusation against a guy who maybe represents everything she is against. I don't doubt she was abused (probably several times), I just don't think it was by BK.
Ford isn't under consideration for the Supreme Court and you provide NO evidence for your claims about her. I believe both Ford and Kavanaugh. I think he sexually assaulted her but was blind drunk and has no memory of it. But putting that aside. Kavanaugh lied to congress in 2004 and 2006, he lied last week under oath several times, about "Renate Alumnius," "Devil's Triangle," and "boofing,"

And isn't it funny how everyone including Susan Collins who believe in "due process" for Brett Kavanaugh said that Al Franken needed to resign without any proof of wrongdoing. She's just another partisan hack who tries to dance on both sides of the fence at the same time.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
First of all I dont understand why one should be conservative or liberal while sitting at a Supreme court.

It should be the best possible person. If there is a vote concerning abortion or gays, we all know which side he will go. because that's what God says.
What the heck does your reply have to do with who sits on the supreme court and where did I mention only conservatives should have that right? I am always at a loss when people post something unrelated to the the post they are responding to???

I am also relatively certain no one has to worry about gay rights as they are now or any overturning of Roe versus Wade.

Who is nominated to serve on the supreme court should be the choice of the sitting president. If a democrat president was serving right now, don't you think he or she would nominate a Democrat? Of course they would. That is the way politics works. Right now, if you think the argument is over things like Roe versus Wade you are not thinking too clearly or are not paying much attention. It is an attempt to get even with the Republican senate for not supporting Obama in 2016. That and the hope they would take over the senate in November and would not be put in the spot they are right now.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:22 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Ford isn't under consideration for the Supreme Court and you provide NO evidence for your specious claims about her. I believe both Ford and Kavanaugh. I think he sexually assaulted her but was blind drunk and has no memory of it. But putting that aside. Kavanaugh lied to congress in 2004 and 2006, he lied last week under oath several times, about "Renate Alumnius," "Devil's Triangle," and "boofing,"

And isn't it funny how everyone including Susan Collins who believe in "due process" for Brett Kavanaugh said that Al Franken needed to resign without any proof of wrongdoing. She's just another partisan hack who tries to dance on both sides of the fence at the same time.

Evidence vs no evidence.....can the left not comprehend this?

Old 10-06-2018, 09:25 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,797,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What I don't understand is that when Trump picked Kavanaugh, many conservatives were disappointed as he has a track record of being less conservative than the others on the short list. Yet Dems lost their minds about this pick. Did they think Trump was going to nominate another Ginsberg or someone left of center?
They're looking to the future and abortion isn't part of it. Kavanagh said it is settled law in its broadest outlines anyway.

The Democrats are concerned about less well settle issues. Like gun control. Like DACA, like travel bans. They want justices who will institutionalize Obama's executive orders and make them part of the Constitution and will declare Trump's executive orders null and void.

They also want justices that will subordinate the Constitution to various international agreements, rules and bodies.

The Democrats are always one step ahead. They don't dwell on battles lost. That's why they let Manchin vote yes. Better to keep him around for when he's needed than sacrifice him for a lost cause. It's a long game for them and they're very good at it.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:25 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
One of the biggest losers here is the "Political correctness" and identity politics agenda of the lunatic left.

The absurd proposition that women should just automatically be believed in all cases when making these sort of extremely devastating accusations is being ash-canned quite formally and very publicly, after a lengthy debate, with everyone having been given a more than reasonable chance to be heard, live on CSPAN for all to see.

Good riddance.

The next comeuppance for the lunatic left "political correctness" and identity politics agenda needs to be the expectation that government can impose forced speech against people, especially when it is against their deeply held religious objections. On this matter, Justice Kavanaugh is likely to be determinative, as it was only Justice Kennedy that impeded a Supreme Court decision banning laws as unconstitutional that impose forced speech requirements in the Masterpiece Cakeshop decision. Hopefully, the new SCOTUS will get that done this term.

Together, these two hammer-blows to the Democrat left's extreme neo-marxist social agenda will I think be regarded as a real crossroads in American history in the years to come. Thank God in heaven that he has helped us to turn in the correct direction here.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I mean Republicans were PERFECTLY fine with guilty as charged when it came to Franken and Ellison.

Ya'll are supreme hypocrites.

So is Susan Collins - who DEMANDED that Franken step down and yet Kavanaugh had much more serious accusation against him.

We listened to the testimony of the two primaries in this instance. Ford was believable - according to every Republican in that room. Kavanaugh, with his childish tantrum, was not.

People wrongly accused of MURDER don't get up on the stand and rant and rave and act belligerent. He did. He screamed. He cried. He lied under oath and he was EXTREMELY partisan.
First, if there was photo evidence of Kavanaugh as there was with Franken, she might have a different take on it.

Second, finding Ford believable, only means that you think SHE believes what she is saying. And did any of the republicans say that they didnt find Kavanaugh believable, as you did?

I found him very believable.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:32 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,006,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The Democrats are always one step ahead. They don't dwell on battles lost.
I agree with that - the Democrats are always two or three smear campaigns ahead of the GOP!

And as soon as one doesn't stick, they're right on to the next one.

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 10-06-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies