Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 11:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,889,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Well, I don't look up statistics, but how many people does that represent, and all over the world? And would you tell them that they only make up 8% so it's no big deal?
I'm talking about all the violent crime in the US it's the rarest next to homicide. I never said being an actual victim of violent crime was no big deal. Rape just isn't all the common.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:34 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,274,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm talking about all the violent crime in the US it's the rarest next to homicide. I never said being an actual victim of violent crime was no big deal. Rape just isn't all the common.
And, like I said, between myself, my family members, friends, we all have multiple stories of disgusting behavior, molestation, rape, etc. It's very common.

Also, you do realize that it happens much more than it is ever reported?

To be honest, I don't think most normal, well-adjusted men would be arguing the case with women about rape.

Apparently some women lie about being raped. Not only is that abhorrent in the first place, but, again, not fair because it raises doubts when real victims speak up.

I'm sincere about being fair to both sexes.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:41 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
What you describe is criminal and should be reported. If we instill anything into young women today, it is that events like this or even close to this need to be reported to someone--family, police, friends.
It was forty-three years ago. A lot of these kinds of incidents have likely occurred ever since. Hopefully, today they are not going unreported, but surely is still difficult.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:11 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,598,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And I love this extreme nonsense of 'we have to stay inside like prisoners' as though anyone is telling you to do that.

You want to believe that there is absolutely nothing a woman can do to lower the risk of being sexually assaulted - so do absolutely nothing to try and protect yourself to lower the odds.

That's your business and quite frankly, I don't care what you do.
Come on, man. I don't think you have intended to blame women for what happens to them, and I understand your point about self-protection, but it would be kind of nice to see you address some of the things one of your fellow posters has said about "no" usually meaning "yes."

Old 10-07-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This is precisely why reporting IMMEDIATELY and not 30 years later is of the utmost importance. If they were stupid enough to go raw (most are) then all the DNA evidence is right there. They can do the drug test find the Ropnyol or whatever that drug's name is in her system. If this situation happened with today's technology the conviction rate would be even greater. Security cameras showing her and the co-workers together in the hallway which places the Men at the scene of the alleged crime.

Sometimes you can't prevent it obviously but that's where Women need to be mentally prepared to take the appropriate steps afterwards to get the proper physical evidence to lock the criminals up. But if you can't even place him in the location with anything beyond circumstantial evidence it's going to be a long shot. Place him in the location, establish sex occurred and then establish it was not consensual. Having a positive drug test showing you were drugged helps a lot. That's why getting tested, examined and swabbed immediately is of the utmost importance as well as taking prophylactic meds to address potential STD infection and morning after pill for pregnancy.
I agree that all of this would be proper procedure, but in the '70's, what is described had not been something commonly addressed, discussed or advised of, as it had been later on. Even if one was aware enough to have run out to be checked or have one visit the scene prior to cleaning up, she hadn't felt stable or alert enough. She was not even aware initially of the possibility of having been drugged.

She wasn't even certain what had occurred, at some point stumbling out to the front room to close up - locking the door, turning off lights, closing windows and drapes and returning to lie down, later trying to make sense of, going over images that she recalled. She did not tell anyone, realizing she was vulnerable to being blamed for. (She would soon see these coworkers again at work, in a couple of days).

On Monday, she did approach one of the guys privately, telling him that she "felt she had been...raped." He lightheartedly responded with "IT wasn't rape..." (of course). I suppose as it happens in cases such as this, others will claim "she wanted it", especially if having been so out of it to have mildly responded to in some way. I think she felt it was not worth what would be involved to address it and had already not acted upon any possible evidence. I do not recall the aftermath of, but did not remain at the job long and tried to put behind her.

This is an example of such and as you advised, any event like this occurring today, needs to be promptly addressed, which females are more aware of these days. (But you can see, as in the Cosby-accuser cases dating way back, that all of them went without making claims for varied reasons, of course, partly due to who he was and fear of repercussion).

I have wondered, with men having been involved in such in their pasts, have they later ever recalled the incident, having since possibly having wives, daughters... and what they feel about it, now?

Old 10-07-2018, 01:47 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,889,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Come on, man. I don't think you have intended to blame women for what happens to them, and I understand your point about self-protection, but it would be kind of nice to see you address some of the things one of your fellow posters has said about "no" usually meaning "yes."
If a female volunteers out of the blue ahead of time her company will not include sexual activity, that's a different context than her saying no at the time of attempted initiating physical contact. I didn't really say no means yes at all.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Why is that? Men undress women with their eyes, anyway. We should not go to beaches and not wear shorts in the summer time. Guys, you need to cover up those tight arses and not show any muscles, less a woman gets turned on.

Bring on the long dresses and cover your faces with a veil, because there are vultures out there, ladies.

No tattoos................just stay home and clean house and bake and have bunches of kiddos; have we forgotten our places in society? Shame on us.

And don't dress stylishly, style hair nicely, wear makeup, smell good or anything.... that way a woman can avoid make interaction. Furthermore, if not maintaining femininity and attractiveness, a female could be thought of by some men to be a "dog", "dyke", "slob", etc.,

Old 10-07-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is difficult for men not to view women as sex objects if they dress provocatively. Men are hardwired to be sexually aggressive towards women.

That's why I think it helps for women to dress more modestly, especially in professional or academic settings.
Have we not gotten past the age of the Caveman?... "me, man...you, woman!"

It appears that women will dress more modestly and conservatively in those settings, anyway. It doesn't seem to have so much to do with that.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You know that women love drama. Who do you think is watching all those talk shows? Guy cheated on his wife, girl cheated on her boyfriend, love-triangles, etc. These are all shows overwhelmingly watched by women.

Women are obsessed with people, men are obsessed with things and ideas. Men demand respect, women are enablers.
Wow. Talk about generalizations.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:11 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,282,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Wow. Talk about generalizations.
Well to be fair it's not like wild generalizations are not coming from all sides of the argument.

From some postings I can only conclude that having a penis makes you a rapist or potential rapist. From others that women are retiring wallflowers happy to passively accept whatever between bouts of knitting or needlepoint.

It's the 21st century, all men are not cavemen, all women are not damsels in distress. I was under the impression it was invalid to assume behaviors based on your genetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies