Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,429,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There seems to be a lot of controversy around this issue. Although there is little debate that women are not responsible for sexual assaults, do they have a duty to protect themselves? If so, how? Avoiding being alone? Not drinking to excess, avoiding skimpy clothing, what? Many individuals of both genders have expressed this opinion. And if she doesn't protect herself in whatever way is deemed necessary or fitting, is the perpetrator less at fault if an assault happens?
There is no way to guarantee that you will never be sexually assaulted.

Many women are raped by men they already know well.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,429,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
All we are asking is not to be harassed, stalked, assaulted, or raped. I am sorry that feels too difficult.
This.

It's not hard to avoid raping or harassing someone. I've managed to go through life just fine without doing these things to other people. It's not hard.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,908,657 times
Quote:
It's pretty amazing how open you are even under a screen name. And the idea that only feminists care about sexual assault? What is wrong with you? Are you getting professional help?
I think everyone not just feminist cares too much if anything about the topic, but it's feminist that bang on it hysterically, try to use it to beat men up with it, and try to get so much mileage out of it. Women have it pretty darn good, and feminist complain too much.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:35 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,324,687 times
Quote:
That is insane. I follow all of our stupid rules. I learned them from the best source, my Dad. He had me near Taliban style. You know nothing about me. And then the girls I chose to hang with in college were the type that followed all these rules. I wouldn't make female friends that didn't, they were dangerous to me.

There was -0- chance that a rapey guy was getting ahold of US. We went out in packs. And the rule was, how we got there is how we go home, period.

If one got drunk enough to say she wanted to go home with whoever or have him drive her we were like nope, give him your number, you're coming with us.

No guy could drug one of us and get anywhere that way. She'd appear messed up or out of it and we'd have carted her away ourselves.

We THOUGHT we were safe. These rules gave us the illusion of safety.

That is all you have with these rules, an illusion, and as has been mentioned, all of the lucky ones can then look down on others and say gosh, if only they had followed the rules.
You weren't 100 percent safe, but you were much safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
A woman has a duty to report what happened to the authorities. To not do so and let decades to pass puts lots of other women at risk. That is unacceptable.
Well, this is a very gray area. Traumatized people might not act in the best interests of themselves or anyone else. I can't point a finger at them. But, at the same time, I don't think you can not report it and then decades later accuse someone with no evidence. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, and, again, there are many reasons why a person might not come forward earlier, but it's just not credible enough to accuse someone under those circumstances, with no evidence.

I know I probably sound like I'm trying to cover all bases, but that's because that's the reality. You have to be fair, in all circumstances, for women and men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The issue I have is that rape is always considered a "woman's issue." Most of the time we only hear about what women should do to prevent rape, don't drink, don't wear skimpy clothing, etc. The clothing one is flat out wrong anyway. Those who rape look for weak vicims, those who appear to be low in self confidence. The girl in the corner wearing a turtlneck and hiding her chest is a much better choice of vicitim than a half dressed woman who is more likely to be confident and get a lot of attention. Most people don't know this because they focus on rape as something women need to learn to avoid.
Yep. 90-year-old women are raped. It's less about sexual attraction than something else.

Quote:
We need to be studying men who rape and changing some of the behavior that can lead to acting on the impulse. Researchers have found men in fraternities tend to have many of the views and ideas about women that rapists have. Of course, this doesn't mean all men in frats rape, there are just things we need to look at if we truly want to prevent sexual assault, aside from tell women what not to do because that's of very limited effectiveness.
Yeah, someone just mentioned to me recently that going to these fraternity parties is almost like begging to be raped. I'm not accusing that any women who go are begging to be raped! When I was younger, I'm sure I would have gone if I was around that "culture." But now, knowing what I do as a grown woman, I would avoid them like the plague.

Quote:
Another thing researchers found while studying college rapists is there were no issues of consent grey areas. They were careful to describe the exact acts, they didn't say rape or sexual assault. They describe penetration knowingly against a woman's will. The admitted rapists had no questions about consent. They knew she did not want it, they just didn't care or liked it that way. Many seem to imply that rape, especially among young college age women is simply a misunderstanding about consent, not an intentional violation of a woman against her will.
I never had kids, but I swear to God, I'm thankful I never had a daughter to bring up. I know I would be hyper-vigilant about her, and even then I probably wouldn't be successful against her being abused in some way at some point. It would drive me insane.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 10-06-2018 at 11:41 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think everyone not just feminist cares too much if anything about the topic, but it's feminist that bang on it hysterically, try to use it to beat men up with it, and try to get so much mileage out of it. Women have it pretty darn good, and feminist complain too much.
Buddy, we're talking about rape.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Buddy, we're talking about rape.
Duh, which is rare and the responsibility of those who commit it, but feminist make it out like it's all men running wild over women.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Duh, which is rare and the responsibility of those who commit it, but feminist make it out like it's all men running wild over women.
It's "feminists." "Feminists"! Plural!

And, duh, rape isn't rare, and be glad you can stand back and call it overblown.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
It's "feminists." "Feminists"! Plural!

And, duh, rape isn't rare, and be glad you can stand back and call it overblown.
It makes up about 8% of the violent crime so that makes it a pretty rare crime.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:00 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,635,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This.

It's not hard to avoid raping or harassing someone. I've managed to go through life just fine without doing these things to other people. It's not hard.
It seems onerous to at least one poster here.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
It makes up about 8% of the violent crime so that makes it a pretty rare crime.
Well, I don't look up statistics, but how many people does that represent, and all over the world? And would you tell them that they only make up 8% so it's no big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies