Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 06:01 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I agree with this. Women are not in control of what other people choose to do. And there's nothing at all wrong with being street smart, in fact I encourage it wholeheartedly. I think alcohol is definitely an attributing factor - but on both sides, I'm sure alchohol also contributes to the low impulse control someone has when they assault another person, as well as lowering a woman's danger instinct. It's just a problem all round.
I'm a rather older female.. BUT learned many decades ago.. that anyone wishing to TAKE ADVANTAGE of you whether it's sexual attacks or aggression as in attacking you going to your car ( happened to me while going ( after work as HCProvider evening shift) to my car/entering and some creep leaping into it to try and steal my vehicle~~ I kicked him in the "Family Jewels" and started to scream/ Hand covering my mouth BITE that sucker.. Honked my horn and flashed my lights!!) HE RAN off~~ I tasted it for days!!

After that episode .. I was given keychain pepper spray by fellow HC workers.. I then always kept a RED Paint can under my car seat as I felt during that above attack.. IF I'm going down.. He's going WITH ME!!

SO YES.. Women have always been targets .. NOT just Sexually Assault.. BUT to overcome you in Employment circumstances.. while driving on the highway.. walking to your car in a parking lot... List is endless. Surveillance has improved over these decades.. HOWEVER, behind closed doors .. sexual predators have been using drugs/medications to weaken a target So back in the '60's I never took any drink from anybody I didn't trust.. and would always get my own ( party situation) and IF at a Bar.. would ask Bartender to take my drink and return it when I returned !! Always, frequent places socially where your TRUST people... Never ASSume friendly chattering is "Innocent"...

So.. after 48 years.. I survived .. BUT was more than aware that threat was OUT there always! I won't go into what I experienced as a KID.. 2 time assaulted.. 1 sexually.. SO, I learned young how to protect myself..including, IF I was going down.. THEY would come with me attitude!

Old 10-09-2018, 06:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You know full well there's unlikely data such as that available. What we have is a representative sample of victims. They're usually young, fairly attractive, not being cautious, mixed up with the wrong people etc.
Do you have evidence to back your “representative sample”? Are you okay with ignoring all other victims? You know, like: men, transgendered, the elderly, the disabled, children, infants?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Do you have evidence to back your “representative sample”? Are you okay with ignoring all other victims? You know, like: men, transgendered, the elderly, the disabled, children, infants?
I feel confident in my claim that young, attractive females are most likely to be sexually assaulted or worse. Other victims identities are a different topic with different factors and I was just focusing on the thread topic.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I feel confident in my claim that young, attractive females are most likely to be sexually assaulted or worse. Other victims identities are a different topic with different factors and I was just focusing on the thread topic.
Okay, so you are okay with ignoring the existence of rape victims who don’t fit that narrow scope.

And yes, I am trying to bait you into actually looking up some rape statistics. Maybe challenge those preconceived notions a bit.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Okay, so you are okay with ignoring the existence of rape victims who don’t fit that narrow scope.

And yes, I am trying to bait you into actually looking up some rape statistics. Maybe challenge those preconceived notions a bit.
I bet they'll support my preconceived notions too.
Sexual Assault Reports, Laws | Rape Statistics
Quote:
The Dangers of Youth
15% of victims are under age 12
29% are age 12-17
44% are under age 18
80% are under age 30 (SOO, 1997, 1999 NCVS)
Age 12-34 are the highest risk years. Risk peaks in the late teens: girls 16 to 19 are four times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape or sexual assault. (NCVS, 2000)

Old 10-09-2018, 06:41 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Sexual Assault Reports, Laws | Rape Statistics
Almost half are under 18. One thing I'm trying to get across by posting is that it's not simply the party scenarios that are a danger as far as being assaulted goes. Unless you wanna discuss all the 12 year olds getting drunk at bars and clubs in skimpy outfits. We focus on those situations to the detriment of the problem as a whole.

I was assaulted by three different men before I was 18. I was neither at a bar, at a club, scantily dressed, out at night, or in any risky environment whatsoever.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
[url=http://www.sarsonline.org/resources-stats/reports-laws-statics]Sexual Assault Reports, Laws | Rape Statistics[/url]
Good, now please point out where those statistics (or any statistics, for that matter) support your claim that most victims are young women in skimpy workout gear. Or drunken women in skimpy dresses. Or that rape isn’t about power.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 10-09-2018 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 08:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
I think that to some extent women have some duty to protect themselves. I won't say that if they get drunk, they deserved to be raped, nor will I say that what they wear or how they act means they asked for it either. Women wear less at the beach than most who are actually raped. No amount of carrying a razor, made or Saturday night special will stop every rape.

One issue is there are different types of rapes. There is back alley rape which are what everyone for the longest time thought rape was. There is party rape where you may or may not know the attacker before the night but are taken advantage of due to alcohol or drugs. Then there is date rape which is typically done with alcohol or roofies. There is also relationship rape where it is without being under the influence. Then we also have power rape such as bosses, coaches and older family members too. None of these situations are the same.

One problem I see is we might ask women to keep their guard up. With their guard on, it might turn off potential male interest because they wall themselves up too much while if they let their walls down too much, it can get them into trouble too. That is the catch-22. And this is partially why women don't often make rape accusations until years later.

Women often believe the things many accuse Ford of and that is lying about it, the allegations are he said/she said and that they deserved it because they let their guard down in some way. Add this to rape kits are only good for about three days after (to culture) and you start to have problems truly pinning rapes. I wish I could be wrong but when we have victim blaming and victim shaming, we can't wonder why rapes and other sexual assaults aren't accused until years later.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManTerrupter View Post
I like what the left is doing with regard to eliminating gender roles. I'm not left or right simply because so much of what goes on now in politics is gender warfare and because gynocentrism is prevalent on both sides. I very much like the idea of getting rid of gender all together as it assigns stereotypes based upon genitalia. For instance, without gender as a categorizing factor, laws and policies that focus solely on protecting women from violence can be extended to men, the gender that experiences the vast majority of violence and premature death due to violence. Women won't be able to dismiss male survivors of violence due to the majority of offenders being male because gender wouldn't be a qualifier. If men could gain the compassion and concern that women experience simply because they're of the female gender (the weaker sex), the reduction of the provider and protector expectation placed upon men and the increase in compassion for men might result in reduced male violence and a reduction in male suicide as males wouldn't feel guilty for not being providers and protectors of females.
The problem with stating men are victims of the majority of violent crime is it ignores the fact that most of the violence men experience is crime related. Men who are victims are often perpetrators as well. Men in gangs, involved in selling and or buying of narcotics or other crimes are the ones who are most likely to experience violence. Law abiding men are generally quite safe. The rates of violent theft victims are similar between men and women. A law abiding man is not very likely to be the victim of violence.

The men who experience violence are not dismissed because they are men. They are often dismissed because they are involved in crime, as are women who experience crime related violence. Female victims who are involved in crime don't get much concern or compassion either. It's disingenious to use violence stats without stating all the facts. The idea that violence is ignored simply because the vicitm is a man is not true. Crime and violence are highly interrealted and must be dealt with as such. Drug addiction is also leading to increasing levels of violence in our society. I'm in support of addressing both these issues in a rational manner and helping those men living in violent communities. The staus quo is not working. I'm interested in any recommendations.

Women are more likely than men to attempt suicide, and live with suicidal ideation. Men are more likey to complete suicide due to using more immediate methods such as a gun. Many women chose poisoning by drugs. The most frequent method of suicide among both genders was hanging. There is no proof that men commit suicide due to pressure to protect women. Income and feeling unsuccessful can be a factor for both genders. In some areas this may affect men more but it could also be that men are less likely to maintain close social ties than females. A lack of strong social ties is a known risk factor.

Last edited by detshen; 10-09-2018 at 10:19 PM..

Old 10-09-2018, 10:42 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Good, now please point out where those statistics (or any statistics, for that matter) support your claim that most victims are young women in skimpy workout gear. Or drunken women in skimpy dresses. Or that rape isn’t about power.
There aren't any. Dress is not much of a factor in rape and when it is, it's not the one in skimpy clothes. Men who have admitted to rape, and agreed to answer questions have stated that they don't chose the women in skimpy clothes. They chose the women that seem to lack confidence. The girl in the corner hiding her chest with her jacket looks like an easier victim than the confident women who is half dressed and geting lots of attention.

Rape is not out of control desire. Men don't see a woman in a short skirt and get worked up to such a strong state of desire they simply must rape her. The whole idea is preposterous. This argument is used to control women. It's also quite insulting to men as though all men could rape at any time if the girl looks sexy enough. Most men don't rape. Those who do rape want to dominate and have power over women.

I find the bolded quite disturbing.

This is from a study of admitted rapists:
Men who rape are more likely to share certain traits. They tend to have disdain for women, feel a perceived pressure to have sex, believe in “rape myths” such as the idea that no means yes. A peer group that uses hostile language to describe women is another one. Most subjects in these studies freely acknowledge nonconsensual sex, but that does not mean they consider it real rape. Researchers encounter this contradiction again and again.

Asked “if they had penetrated against their consent,” said Dr. Koss, the subject will say yes. Asked if he did “something like rape,” the answer is almost always no.

Last edited by detshen; 10-09-2018 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies