Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:22 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post

Sorry, elections and horrible politicians have consequences.

This place is going to erupt with snowflake tears and even more absurd posts if the left don't get their (way) blue wave. After the Kavenaugh circus, extremists attacking Republicans in restaurants, and the violence, I'd expect a ton of lifelong Dems have been turned off. They'll either not vote at all, or bail to the right.

The next few months should be quite entertaining indeed.
Oh, don't we know it. We've been living it for the past two years.

The new conservative cognitive experiment is explaining how all liberals are 'snowflakes whilst being terrifying thugs at the same time". The typical cognitive dissonance of conservatism.

Lastly, NO a 'ton' of lifelong Dems have not been turned off and , in fact, a bunch of new generation Dems have recently been turned ON.

But . . keep living in that conservative bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 05:29 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I bet you'd say Clinton is a conservative. It's fairly obviously the truth is meaningless.

Wallace was a Southern Democrat!!! I know the left are being brainwashed to believe that Southern Democrats all became Republicans. EHH, sorry! Only three switched parties: Strom Thurmond, Jesse Helms and Mills E. Godwin. All the rest remained racist Dems, like Robert Byrd.

Here's a snippet of a concise article that makes progressive heads explode (facts tend to do that):

When he was running for president in 2000, Vice President Al Gore told the NAACP that his father, Senator Al Gore Sr., had lost his Senate seat because he voted for the Civil Rights Act. Uplifting story — except it’s false. Gore Sr. voted against the Civil Rights Act. He lost in 1970 in a race that focused on prayer in public schools, the Vietnam War, and the Supreme Court.

Al Gore’s reframing of the relevant history is the story of the Democratic party in microcosm. The party’s history is pockmarked with racism and terror. The Democrats were the party of slavery, black codes, Jim Crow, and that miserable terrorist excrescence, the Ku Klux Klan. Republicans were the party of Lincoln, Reconstruction, anti-lynching laws, and the civil rights acts of 1875, 1957, 1960, and 1964. Were all Republicans models of rectitude on racial matters? Hardly. Were they a heck of a lot better than the Democrats? Without question.

As recently as 2010, the Senate’s president pro tempore was former Ku Klux Klan Exalted Cyclops Robert Byrd (D., W.Va.). Rather than acknowledge their sorry history, modern Democrats have rewritten it.
The Democrats have been sedulously rewriting history for decades.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/...y-mona-charen/

Ignorant people are helping them do exactly that.
You seem to equate Democrat with liberal.
You can't seriously be arguing that the likes of Strom Thurmond, Bull Conner, and George Wallace were liberals. If you believe that...you dnt even have a basic understanding of what a liberal is.
And yes...many white racist voters did switch parties as a consequence of the Democratic embrace of the Civil Rights movement.
Robert Byrd was not a liberal..I am not sure who other than conservatives are claiming that he was. And Byrd represented West Virginia...where most Democrats have historically been conservatives who voted Democratic due to the union embrace of the Democratic Party...it I no coincidence that probably the most conservative Senator today...Joe Manchin...hails from there. West Virginia was a tradition Democratic state. It has never ever..even remotely...been a liberal society.
Bill Clinton did swing to the right after th 1994 midtrms and adopted conservative positions on a number of issues...such as welfare reform
You seem to be arguing that southern plantation owners and nineteenth century KKK midnight riders were liberals. Again...anyone who believes that lacks even the most basic understanding of what a liberal is.
A far as the Civil Rights laws of the 60s...they were pushed through by a Democratic administration, and the Congressional vote fell lately along regional rather than party lines. Interestingly though, a higher percentage ofSouthern Republicans opposed the acts (there weren't many Republican Congressmen at the time..but all ten of them opposed the civil rights acts), and while a majority of northern Republicans voted in favor, the percentage of northern Democratic Congressmen who did so was higher. And, of course, they were signed into law by LBJ who had expended a great deal of political capital to get them passed.
I still can't get over someone thinking that slave owners and KKk nightriders were liberals.
Democrat, yes, liberals....geeesh.
I do agree the GOP had a far better record on race relations re-mid nineteenth century. But most modern Democrats would have been Republican then...myself definitely included.
The African-American vote was heavily Republican prior to the party flip. MLK was a registered Republican.
If the GOP has such a stellar standing where civil rights are concerned why dies it get beaten up so badly on a routine basis in terms of the minority vote, across all socioeconomic levels, in spite of the fact that that voting block tends to old conservative views on most social issues?

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 10-14-2018 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 05:39 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Two important points/questions that I've seen come up recently:
1. When in human history has mob rule ever led to anything good?
2. Some guy issued a challenge: "I will pay you $100 if you can name for me any instance of Conservatives shutting down Progressive/Leftist events and speakers on a college campus." Granted, these people were being asked out of the blue, but they had no examples to offer. I am definitely curious to see if anyone can offer a recent example. Does one even exist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Not a college campus, but the bridge at Selma and many, many such incidents throughout our history. Governor Wallace personally barring the door at the University of Alabama (and,yes, Wallace was a Conservative)
George Wallace was no Conservative as we understand the term. Wallace sought the United States presidency as a Democrat three times, and once as an American Independent Party candidate. Like the vast majority of other Dixiecrats, he never joined the Republican Party in his lifetime. When Governor Wallace did that, he was a card carrying Democrat.

I don't know which/what Selma Bridge incident you're referencing, so you'll have to explain it to me.

Quote:
There are several fairly examples of right wing violence...the massacre of fifty people at the gay club in Orlando, Oklahoma City, Dylan Roof killing nine churchgoers, six killed by a shooter at a mosque in Quebec, the rightwingnut who intentionally plowed his car into a crowd at Charlottesville killing a young lady, the assassination attempt on Congresswoman Gifford that resulted in bystander fatalities as well as serious injuries to her, to cite a few. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that some on the right seem to have convinced themselves that violence, hatred, and closedmindedness is son sort of exclusive province of the left. And then I watch a snippet of Fox News...in the face of less then five minutes the commentator...in an excited tone...referred to Democrats as Demoncrats three times (I disagree with most right wing positions so I guess in Fox's view I am a demon...not just a fellow American who loves his country and happens to agree with a large percentage of the views of the Democratic Party, and commented on a policy of the Democratic Party as proving "just how dumb (smirk and heavy emphasis on dumb) Democrats really and truly are (apparently we are all dumbies even though the blue states are by and large overwhelmingly the most innovative ones in the country). This commentator failed to comprehend that more than half of the country disagrees wth her because their are legitimate, intelligent arguments on both side. In her view the disagreement stems from those on the left being dumb and demonic. And people lie her are swaying large segments of our population. I seldom watch Fox so I was shocked by the style of this presentation. It puts me in mind world dictatorship style propaganda. It was a clear and unapologetic appeal to the baser of human nature.
None of these are answers to my two questions and you get quite a bit wrong in the details anyways.

These are not instances where mob violence led to good outcomes. Charlottesville is a great example of mob violence leading to a very bad outcome actually. The rest are just acts of violence by single actors. Just because a person is a Muslim, does not mean they're aligned with Conservatism. Truth is, most Muslims in the USA are voting Democrat. I also wasn't asking about assassination attempts, but both parties have done their fair share of that. Sure, every successful assassin who killed a President has been on the political Left, but that hardly matters. I was asking for examples of mob violence leading to good outcomes. I was asking for recent examples of Conservatives shutting down Progressive/Leftist events on college campuses. There have been dozens of cases where Conservative events were shut down within the past 5 years. Here are just a few examples. But not a single example of the opposite.

Now in pointing this out, you're likely to mistake me as a card carrying Republican ultra-Conservative. I'm not. I have little use for either party. But I do think it is worth pointing out that the Democrats and the Left are embracing mob violence and actively seeking to suppress the free speech of people on the Right. This is a very bad trend. It needs to stop. It leads to nothing good. I actually do want to see the Democrats exorcise their own demons and become better.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:56 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,378,296 times
Quote:
George Wallace was no Conservative as we understand the term. Wallace sought the United States presidency as a Democrat three times, and once as an American Independent Party candidate. Like the vast majority of other Dixiecrats, he never joined the Republican Party in his lifetime. When Governor Wallace did that, he was a card carrying Democrat.

I don't know which/what Selma Bridge incident you're referencing, so you'll have to explain it to me.

None of these are answers to my two questions and you get quite a bit wrong in the details anyways.

These are not instances where mob violence led to good outcomes. Charlottesville is a great example of mob violence leading to a very bad outcome actually. The rest are just acts of violence by single actors. Just because a person is a Muslim, does not mean they're aligned with Conservatism. Truth is, most Muslims in the USA are voting Democrat. I also wasn't asking about assassination attempts, but both parties have done their fair share of that. Sure, every successful assassin who killed a President has been on the political Left, but that hardly matters. I was asking for examples of mob violence leading to good outcomes. I was asking for recent examples of Conservatives shutting down Progressive/Leftist events on college campuses. There have been dozens of cases where Conservative events were shut down within the past 5 years. Here are just a few examples. But not a single example of the opposite.

Now in pointing this out, you're likely to mistake me as a card carrying Republican ultra-Conservative. I'm not. I have little use for either party. But I do think it is worth pointing out that the Democrats and the Left are embracing mob violence and actively seeking to suppress the free speech of people on the Right. This is a very bad trend. It needs to stop. It leads to nothing good. I actually do want to see the Democrats exorcise their own demons and become better.
You are equating liberal with Democrat. Most liberals are Democrats, not all Democrats were liberals. Gerge Wallace was very much a conservative as we understand the term...as was/is the majority of the electorate in his him state of Alabama...which flipped from Dem to Republican-leaning as the Dems moved to thr left. Wallace left the Dem party in protest against the Dems embrace of the civil rights movement and ran the most success third party candidacy in modern history...carrying five states in the Deep South...on an anti-civil rights movement platform. He did not personally become a Republican as did the vast majority conservative voters who previously had been a core constituency of the Democratic Party for over a century. Toward the end he grew apologetic about his earlier dances against the civil rights movement and returned to the Democratic fold.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:13 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
You are equating liberal with Democrat. Most liberals are Democrats, not all Democrats were liberals. Gerge Wallace was very much a conservative as we understand the term...as was/is the majority of the electorate in his him state of Alabama...which flipped from Dem to Republican-leaning as the Dems moved to thr left. Wallace left the Dem party in protest against the Dems embrace of the civil rights movement and ran the most success third party candidacy in modern history...carryig five states in the Deep South...on an anti-civil rights movement platform. He..along with most southern conservative voters...migrating afterward to theGOP. Oward the end he grew apologetic about his earlier dances against the civil rights movement and returned to the Democratic fold.
The tendency is to make "Liberal" and "Democrat" interchangeable. I do agree this is nonsensical. At present, both parties are extremely anti-liberal. Neither actually embraces the ideal of maximum freedom for all people, AKA liberalism.

Still, to reiterate my point, I wasn't asking for examples from several decades ago. There was some YouTuber walking around campuses asking for examples where Conservatives were organizing to shutdown Progressive/Leftist (please note that I'm not using the word Liberal) events. He was offering $100 to anyone who could give him an example of this. Progressives/Leftists have shut down many many Conservative events, so we should expect to see some counterbalancing examples. Apparently, there aren't any. That's a very bad thing. It means that colleges and universities are actively trying to purge Conservative thought and create an environment where some ideas are not welcome.

Discussing George Wallace and the Dixiecrats is all very interesting, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with answering my questions. If George Wallace is the best anyone can come up with then Conservatives are doing insanely good at advocating for free speech.

And then there's my other question: When has mob violence ever lead to good outcomes? Not non-violent protest. Mob violence where people get beat up and property is intentionally destroyed. I can't think of a single example of mob violence leading to good outcomes. Maybe there have been cases that I can't think of, but in general, mob violence never leads to anything good. So why are Democratic leaders calling for mob violence, while refusing to denounce the mob violence already occuring?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:01 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
We all have reason to fear lawless, unhinged, violent and uncivil mob rule.
So maybe you should look at Trump's regime. You don't see Nazis marching in the streets, mosque burnings, threats and violence against minorities or foreigners, or brain dead senators and reps licking the dear leader's boots while he calls for violent actions against opposition protests in any other civilized country...it's all Trump.

Right-wingers always create a boogie man in their mind and then look for someone to pin it on. It's like all of the made-up victimization they convince themselves of. They thrive on hating someone and have to justify it somehow. It's as fake as the twisted news they are addicted to on Fox and God knows what else they suck up.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:12 PM

23,620 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
So maybe you should look at Trump's regime. You don't see Nazis marching in the streets, mosque burnings, threats and violence against minorities or foreigners, or brain dead senators and reps licking the dear leader's boots while he calls for violent actions against opposition protests in any other civilized country...it's all Trump.
"Nazis marching in the streets" -- as much as I don't like their message, they do have a right to march in protest, right? Oh wait, you must think they don't have that right.'

"mosque burnings" -- Sooo, Republicans are responsible for all mosque fires, eh?

You mean like the mosque fire in Houston? The one that a man was charged for, but it was the very mosque that he had been attending. You're saying he's a Republican? Proof please.
https://www.breitbart.com/border/201...uslim-charged/

How about the mosque fire in Des Moines .. oh wait, that one was set by a Muslim woman who went to that mosque. Perhaps you can show where it states that she's a Republican.
https://www.dangerous.com/19848/musl...n-mosque-fire/

Okay, how about the guy who was charged for setting a mosque on fire in Victoria, Tx. Hmm, nothing in the article that states he's a Republican.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/m...ictoria-mosque

I do not agree with the message being sent by burning mosques, or other religious buildings down. Everyone who is found guilty should end up in prison. And, unlike you, I don't look at all mosque fires and immediately point fingers at the right, or the left for that matter.

"threats and violence against minorities or foreigners" -- hmm, lets see about that..

"violence against minorities"
Black man gets sucker punched by antifa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqMHrc0f40

"violence against foreigners" ..
Muslim immigrant's car being burned - by antifa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylOszP0r6IM

You do know that there are minorities that do belong to groups like the KKK, neo nazies, etc....well, not with antifa it seems -- antifa appears to be all white people.

As for bootlickers -- seemed that obama had his share of those toadies. He also seemed to like to side with those that were destructive -- rioters, looters, Mike Brown, BLM, etc....

Quote:
Right-wingers always create a boogie man in their mind and then look for someone to pin it on. It's like all of the made-up victimization they convince themselves of. They thrive on hating someone and have to justify it somehow. It's as fake as the twisted news they are addicted to on Fox and God knows what else they suck up.
Why would we need to do that?

Old 10-15-2018, 06:09 AM

35,076 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
There was some YouTuber walking around campuses asking for examples where Conservatives were organizing to shutdown Progressive/Leftist (please note that I'm not using the word Liberal) events. He was offering $100 to anyone who could give him an example of this. Progressives/Leftists have shut down many many Conservative events, so we should expect to see some counterbalancing examples. Apparently, there aren't any. That's a very bad thing. It means that colleges and universities are actively trying to purge Conservative thought and create an environment where some ideas are not welcome.
I went to Cornell, graduating in 1979. I was more staunchly liberal in those days, as was the campus. I went to the 1976 Democratic Convention on a press pass and voted for Carter. The campus was a leftist loony bin, then and now.

When Milton Friedman came to speak one of my friends suggested we go in and shout anti-apartheid and anti-Pinochet (Chile's dictator at the time) slogans. I said, at the young age of 21 or 22 (it was near my birthday) "you got to let him speak his mind. That's what college is all about."
Quote:
Discussing George Wallace and the Dixiecrats is all very interesting, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with answering my questions. If George Wallace is the best anyone can come up with then Conservatives are doing insanely good at advocating for free speech.
I can think of one; the Chicago Police Riot of 1968, and the Democratic National Convention. And a construction worker attack in New York City on the Anti-War Moratorium which was, I think, either October 1969 or October 1970.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
FYI: Those white hats are Ku Klux Klan hats. You know the group the Tolerant left Democrats founded to keep the black man down and in chains.
Cool story, but even as you wrote it, you knew that TODAY KKK votes Republican and has done for half a century or more.

Maybe if you had a time machine and dragged us back to the pre-civil rights you would have a point. But we live in the 21st century, and in this century Republicans are the party of racism and violence.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
"Nazis marching in the streets" -- as much as I don't like their message, they do have a right to march in protest, right? Oh wait, you must think they don't have that right.'

"mosque burnings" -- Sooo, Republicans are responsible for all mosque fires, eh?

You mean like the mosque fire in Houston? The one that a man was charged for, but it was the very mosque that he had been attending. You're saying he's a Republican? Proof please.
https://www.breitbart.com/border/201...uslim-charged/

How about the mosque fire in Des Moines .. oh wait, that one was set by a Muslim woman who went to that mosque. Perhaps you can show where it states that she's a Republican.
https://www.dangerous.com/19848/musl...n-mosque-fire/

Okay, how about the guy who was charged for setting a mosque on fire in Victoria, Tx. Hmm, nothing in the article that states he's a Republican.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/m...ictoria-mosque

I do not agree with the message being sent by burning mosques, or other religious buildings down. Everyone who is found guilty should end up in prison. And, unlike you, I don't look at all mosque fires and immediately point fingers at the right, or the left for that matter.

"threats and violence against minorities or foreigners" -- hmm, lets see about that..

You do know that there are minorities that do belong to groups like the KKK, neo nazies, etc....well, not with antifa it seems -- antifa appears to be all white people.

As for bootlickers -- seemed that obama had his share of those toadies. He also seemed to like to side with those that were destructive -- rioters, looters, Mike Brown, BLM, etc....

Why would we need to do that?

oh please the worst you could find was some property damage and minor fight.

meanwhile Republican and right wing extremists have murdered and committed acts of terrorism on US soil.
Time and again Conservatives pretend liberals are violent, but as of yet no conservative has ever produced a list of liberal violence that even comes vaguely close to the right wing murderers and thugs.

Below are some right wing nuts who murdered, committed acts of terror etc... JUST 2017 ,2018 and not even all of them...

Samuel Woodward (murder and atomwaffen member)

Benjamin Morrow (died making bombs )

Nikolas Jacob murdered 17 people, (far right)

Travis Reinking (far right murdered 4)

MeShon Cooper (far right, racist murder)

Marq Vincent Perez
(bombs, burnt mosque, hate crimes)

Benjamin McDowell ( far right racist, FBI caught him just in time)

William Gibbs (racist caught with RICIN )

Adam W. Purinton (murdered two men after mistaken them for Muslims )

James Harris Jackson (race based murder , right wing nutjob)

Marshall Barrus
Lloyd Barrus
Jeffrey Barrus
(murdered a police officer and tried to kill more (( super trump supporters))

Jeremy Joseph Christian ( a far right nut who stabbed 3 two of which died, race based murder)

Sean Urbanski (more race murder from another far right nutjob..)

Jerry Drake Varnell (tried to use a 1000 LB bomb to blow up a civic building the FBI stopped him , another far right militia nut job...

James Alex Fields used his car to ram into a crowd of liberals murdering one of them...

AND that is not even the full list of 2017-2018.... you guys would need to go back a hundred years to get half that. As such Republicans are the party of violence.

doubt me? try this..
https://www.splcenter.org/20180723/terror-right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies