Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,584,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Hyperbole or something?
Just the facts. When you tax people's income to feed the freeloaders, you enslave the hardworking people and encourage the freeloaders, aka slave masters.

How do you think tax laws are enforced? At the gunpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm in the top 30% have received benefits. Not the least of which included, national defense and that security, local police and fire. As a doc I've earned many dollars derived from HC welfare. As a homeowner we've received solar and first home buyer tax credits. As a patient many dollars worth of HC through Medicare.

And of course many rich will tell you similar stories. Although on balance of course many do pay more in than take out. So your premise is not all horse manure.
Which of the following benefits are you receiving?

1. free school lunches
2. food banks
3. food stamps
4. subsidized housing
5. free medical
6. free phones
7. Medicaid
8. Children's Health Insurance Program
9. etc. etc. etc.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm in the top 30% have received benefits. Not the least of which included, national defense and that security, local police and fire. As a doc I've earned many dollars derived from HC welfare. As a homeowner we've received solar and first home buyer tax credits. As a patient many dollars worth of HC through Medicare.

And of course many rich will tell you similar stories. Although on balance of course many do pay more in than take out. So your premise is not all horse manure.
There's no law or person that will stop you from paying more taxes.

Why don't you write a check to IRS to put your own money where your mouth is.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:54 PM

18,823 posts, read 8,486,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Just the facts. When you tax people's income to feed the freeloaders, you enslave the hardworking people and encourage the freeloaders, aka slave masters.

How do you think tax laws are enforced? At the gunpoint.
Hyperbole. Never gunpoint.

Federal taxes are there to control the people and business. And to give value to the sovereign currency. They are not necessary to run the Federal gov't. Or fund any welfare. or war. Or infrastructure. or HC.

Ellen Brown - Funding Infrastructure: Why China Is Running Circles Around America ~ Mike Norman Economics

Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
There's no law or person that will stop you from paying more taxes.

Why don't you write a check to IRS to put your own money where your mouth is.
Why would I pay more tax? Where do you come up with that nonsense?

Old 10-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Which of the following benefits are you receiving?

1. free school lunches
2. food banks
3. food stamps
4. subsidized housing
5. free medical
6. free phones
7. Medicaid
8. Children's Health Insurance Program
9. etc. etc. etc.
Right now just Medicare. Other benefits I have received in the past.
Lunch subsidies.
Food stamps.
Free medical.
Free phones.
Subsidized housing.
State scholarships.
I'm sure there have been others.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Right now just Medicare. Other benefits I have received in the past.
Lunch subsidies.
Food stamps.
Free medical.
Free phones.
Subsidized housing.
State scholarships.
I'm sure there have been others.
When you were a freeloader or a taxpayer?

Old 10-15-2018, 03:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 623,684 times
Christian here that is absolutely for safety nets. I have a passion for helping those in need. From what I’ve seen most people don’t want to be on government welfare, despite what conservatives say. In addition, no one is getting rich off of government handouts.

For the better of society you need to have a welfar program. Otherwise we could strive to be a third would country.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
When you were a freeloader or a taxpayer?
When I was younger.

Don't worry. As of now I'm WAY net positive for your benefit. So between you and me, you can free load a bunch and our net will still be positive for pay outs.

You're welcome.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,349,741 times
This is the data (US Census):

2012: 21.3 percent of Americans enrolled in a major means-tested government assistance programs. Participation rates were highest for Medicaid (15.3 percent) and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or food stamps (13.4 percent). Many of these are the working poor.

Children under age 18 were much more likely to receive means-tested benefits than all other age groups. The high rate of child-participation is largely due to Medicaid. Yet more children were enrolled in CHIP, which provides healthcare to children in families earning too much for Medicaid but who still cannot afford healthcare.

More than half of SNAP recipients who are able-bodied working-age adults are working while receiving benefits, and more than 80 percent are employed in the years prior to and following participation in the program. Among households with children, the rate of employment surrounding SNAP participation is even higher.

Just 4.2 percent of the population received housing assistance in a given month in 2012, just 3 percent received SSI, and a combined 1 percent received TANF or GA.

Participants move in and out of the programs (2009 to 2012, which incidentally was during a Recession): The largest share of participants (43.0 percent) stayed in any of the programs between 37 and 48 months. 31.2 percent of people only participated between one and 12 months. Rates of participation in the six major government assistance programs are much higher for those who are unemployed (41.5 percent) and outside of the labor force (32 percent).

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...5/cb15-97.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies