Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,071,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
And the guys who father these kids should be working two jobs 7 days a week if necessary to take care of their responsibilities.
Some have lots of such children. See Father of 43 children killed in Chicago homicide in bout of weekend violence that left 6 dead, 22 shot (employment, crime).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
If was just the welfare it wouldn't be so bad, but add to it the free school lunches, food banks, food stamps, subsidized housing, free medical, free phones etc., it never ends. We are working to discourage people from working to earn their own money.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,497,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There is a bounty now in not identifying the father

I have dated single moms in the past in this situation and they explained how they work the system. Everyone knows that if you want the most welfare benefits you don't identify the father. For example if the mom is living with the father of the child she can get welfare benefits, if he is working he won't get dinged with a garnishment for child support because the government does know he is the one who should being paying for his kid. Its a win win for both of them. But regardless of what the situation is between the two its is smarter for the mom to not identify the father if she was government money.

Sure in rare cases people get busted for this. But these government agencies are mismanaged and mostly incompetent to weed out the fraud. They can barely keep up with giving out the benefits.

There should be no benefits at all until the father is identified. If there is more than one possibility DNA test them like you said. Taxpayers should not foot the bill for someone who is lying to get welfare. And the guys who father these kids should be working two jobs 7 days a week if necessary to take care of their responsibilities.
People will always do what is in their best selfish interest. If you are Trump you use the tax code to avoid paying tax for 20 years. If you are a low income pregnant woman you don't list the father's name on the birth certificate so you get more money from govt while also keeping the father's money safe from govt so he can potentially help out more. If you are about to make too much money to qualify for a welfare program you have your employer cut your hours back. I will never fault people for living in their own self interest. I do fault people who prevent the system from changing to prevent misuse.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:41 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
People will always do what is in their best selfish interest. If you are Trump you use the tax code to avoid paying tax for 20 years. If you are a low income pregnant woman you don't list the father's name on the birth certificate so you get more money from govt while also keeping the father's money safe from govt so he can potentially help out more. If you are about to make too much money to qualify for a welfare program you have your employer cut your hours back. I will never fault people for living in their own self interest. I do fault people who prevent the system from changing to prevent misuse.

I am not blaming the people who take advantage of these things. You are correct most people will put their own self interest first.

I blame the government first for creating a flawed situation with a huge loophole. And for not closing those loopholes whether it be a billionaire or welfare mom.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Just FYI - in many states, you just can't 'list the father's name on the birth certificate' IF he is not present.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:21 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
This is ridiculous.
Republicans rob from the poor to give to the rich.
Why would they give it back in any form.
Why do people repeat this horse manure?

The top 30% pays over 80% of all taxes, but get zero benefits; the bottom 47% of get to feed off the top 30% while paying zero tax.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:27 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Losers could be rich. Another loser could be one to die early and quickly. Other losers could just stay healthy to a ripe old age.

Your slaves are the rich, who don't care excepting silly Libertarians and their feelings. And those with very bad short term or good long term luck with their health starting at age 65.
Robbing people at gunpoint is never moral, just or fair. Did that slip your mind or something?

Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM

52,307 posts, read 52,764,750 times
There is always going to be people who game the system. I imagine a lot of times welfare does legitimately help people who are in need. There also needs to be an end game to get people off of it and into society working.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:39 AM

18,837 posts, read 8,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why do people repeat this horse manure?

The top 30% pays over 80% of all taxes, but get zero benefits; the bottom 47% of get to feed off the top 30% while paying zero tax.
I'm in the top 30% have received benefits. Not the least of which included, national defense and that security, local police and fire. As a doc I've earned many dollars derived from HC welfare. As a homeowner we've received solar and first home buyer tax credits. As a patient many dollars worth of HC through Medicare.

And of course many rich will tell you similar stories. Although on balance of course many do pay more in than take out. So your premise is not all horse manure.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:40 AM

18,837 posts, read 8,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Robbing people at gunpoint is never moral, just or fair. Did that slip your mind or something?
Hyperbole or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies