Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will illegal immigrant invasion caravan effect midterm election
Help Republicans 203 74.09%
Help Democrats 21 7.66%
No effect 50 18.25%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:29 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,270,555 times

Advertisements

The elections are over, why is this thread still up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
The elections are over, why is this thread still up?

What does the topic of this thread have to do with the elections? The caravan is still on it's way and until it arrives and it is resolved/concluded it makes no sense to close it.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:43 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Let me ask you this, how heartless and xenophobic do you have to be to refuse to even hear from or let refugees in?

Anyone who believes we should shut our borders and meet these poor, tired refugees with military might is VERY heartless and xenohobic indeed. They have every right as YOUR ancestors did to seek asylum in America.
Nice emotional post, but i don't buy it.

United States accepts 1 millions ( +- ) legal immigrants per year, but all of the sudden we are xenophobic and heartless because we don't accept every asylum knocking on our door? Especially when they already offered refuge by Mex government and especially when most of these asylum requests are gang or domestic violence related

Last edited by Du Ma; 11-12-2018 at 09:03 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Let me ask you this, how heartless and xenophobic do you have to be to refuse to even hear from or let refugees in?

Anyone who believes we should shut our borders and meet these poor, tired refugees with military might is VERY heartless and xenohobic indeed. They have every right as YOUR ancestors did to seek asylum in America.
Mexico offered them asylum, and it was rejected. They do not have a true asylum claim anyway. If Honduras is so corrupt they want asylum, then they should agitate for change in their government. If corruption and gang violence was enough to claim asylum, then why can’t the people of Chicago go to Canada and claim asylum? We have our own problems.

I would love for these people to rise up and demand their respective governments do right by their people. We would all benefit from that. Their governments want them to come here because then they don’t have to fix their mess, and the people will send remittances to their families back home.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:57 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,489,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Let us ask you, should we let anyone in who claims to be an asylum seeker? Where does it end? Do you want hundreds of millions of people pouring in? Are you willing to give up your lifestyle to support these people?

Being in a state of poverty is not a legitimate reason to seek asylum, no matter what the msm tells you. Not wanting those people here is not heartless, it's common sense. We have no responsibility to take these people in and care for them.
I have given out too many Reputation points but want to let you know I agree 100% with this. Well said.

Ditto posts #47 and #48.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,666,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He had to scare his own base to vote? The day after the election he met with a committee to form a new refugee law and signed it the following day. There is nothing new to report right now except that the caravan is still on it's way so WTH are you talking about?
Yes he did, he was really working hard with those rallies down the stretch. I even heard him said it made a difference in some key races, so yes.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:16 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I asked a question. None of you can answer question. Now you say it's just Trump.

Thought so. Another "I Hate Trump" topic. I know where Trump stands. And he's still taking action on it.

So please answer the question.
Dammit, are you just too lazy to look for yourself? Or do you just NOT want to know?

Graham: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...eal-is-at-risk

Cruz: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/p...221032065.html

Ron Disantis: Ron DeSantis suggests migrant caravans headed to U.S. border are fronts for drug cartels - Florida Politics

Marsha Blackburn, Tennessee
Katie Arrington, South Carolina

I think that is enough R's found in 90 seconds to show that you are making another erroneous claim that can be fact-checked and proven wrong. If you have any interest in getting at the truth, you can google just about any name and follow it by "on caravan" and find out where they stand. To give you a little credit, I did that with McConnell (the lying politician that he is) and did not turn up easy results. They may have been there, but there was too much low hanging fruit so I just moved on...

I answered the question of "what high ranking R's were trumping up hate with the Caravan, you changed the goalpost by saying it had to be different high ranking R's. I've answered that too. If you change the parameters again, I'll probably ignore it, as you are just trying to backpedal.

DOES THAT ANSWER THE QUESTION FOR YOU?

Old 11-13-2018, 05:30 AM

35,089 posts, read 17,051,842 times
I tried to rep post but could not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When it was time for jury deliberations, some on the jury wanted to give this illegal a light sentence because in their words "Who will support his baby momma and child?" My husband pointed out that illegals aren't supposed to be here, let alone work. In the end, the illegal was charged with a felony and got a light sentence. With a felony conviction, hopefully he was deported but I wouldn't hold my breath.
These are great questions that no one will answer. Not politically correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, back before there was welfare, the only help available to immigrants were groups the relied on private donations. Also, immigrants who came before would help the newcomers. My maternal grandparents, in fact, would help out others in their ethnic group. During the Depression, despite not having much, they would often invite others into their home for a meal.
My people sponsored the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, now known as HIAS, for that purpose. Also playing a role was the Joint Distribution Committee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My grandson has english language learners in his first grade class, his teacher said all the kids in her class who are from Mexico or Central America are proficient within 11 months. The refugees from the middle east tend to take a little longer. She said the kids who were born here usually speak English quite well when they start school and in many case are interpreters for their parents.
That's great. But I don't suppose typical.

Also whose property taxes are funding all this ESL education? Are the Obama-Feds offering to subsidize local budgets inflated by the need to educate in multiple languages?

Old 11-13-2018, 07:14 AM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Yes he did, he was really working hard with those rallies down the stretch. I even heard him said it made a difference in some key races, so yes.

Since when do any politicians or political parties have to scare their base into voting? That makes no sense whatsoever. The fact that there were thousands of Central Americans on their way up to our border was just a fact. What was Trump to do just ignore it because the left would accuse him of doing what was right to influence the elections? WTH!!

Old 11-13-2018, 07:22 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingojut76 View Post
Now I believe not all liberals are for the caravan.

What makes you think that the caravan are unarmed?
Do you think they are carrying contraband? And hiding it in baby strollers?
Why do you feel it's right to let them in if your tax dollars are sending aide there?
And what do you think will happen if we keep letting the caravans in?
Do you think it's right to give them free medical care and foodstamps and all?
Do you think Trump should let them in and put them in Los angeles's or Chicago? Or the suburbs?

Do you still think it's right to invade and occupy other countries and secure their border and not ours?
I always hear from Trump Supporters something like "My grandfather came in from XXXXXX Legally, and he always had disdain for illegal immigrants. Why should we accept these illegals?" Or something like that.

My response going forward is that your grandfather was given a hearing, and allowed in because he passed the requirements. WHY do you think that certain people should not be afforded the same rights as your grandfather. He came in at Ellis Island, they are coming in at the Mexico Texas Border. Other than that, what is the substantive difference? (Don't tell me how they are all criminals, or invaders. Neither one of us know the make-up of the caravan, but we BOTH know that there are some bad people, and some good people. So let's give them the same treatment that "your grandfather" got.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies