Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 02:28 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times

Advertisements

How often do hear it: But it's legal to do it! Perhaps escaping taxes through loopholes.

I would have to go with lobbying!

How about you?

Old 11-02-2018, 04:37 AM

50,853 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How often do hear it: But it's legal to do it! Perhaps escaping taxes through loopholes.

I would have to go with lobbying!

How about you?
I think certain aspects of lobbying should be illegal. But not lobbying in and of itself.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:39 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times
Collective bargaining.

Workers can unionize (or join bowling leagues, or softball teams, etc.) all they want but they shouldn't be able to make employers bargain with them, and them only.

Employees should be able to work for whomever they can get a job from and employers should be able to hire anyone they can get to work for them.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think certain aspects of lobbying should be illegal. But not lobbying in and of itself.
I have never heard ONE person that thinks lobbying in general is a good thing or that it should be a legal thing to do. It makes me wonder if the will of the people is really the priority, I dont think it has been for many years.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:19 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Let's say that 60% of the people in your town get together and contribute to a fund to send you to D.C. to visit your Senator in his office, and tell him about the opinions of your town on certain issues.
Does that make you a "lobbyist", or are you simply a "concerned citizen"?
I think there is no doubt, you would be a lobbyist!

Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
I don't agree with pot being made legal as a recreational drug. I am all for it when used for medical reasons but not so sure it should be available for the casual user. I think we have enough problems with alcohol, harder drugs like heroine, fentanyl and we already have enough people driving around in a fog of prescription drugs not to mention distracted drivers.

If someone wants to enjoy some pot in the privacy of their own home that is one thing but I foresee that there will be accidents that are caused by people under the influence.

I also don't think the pot shops are good for a community and they send the wrong message to our youth.

I think the towns and states that moved forward with legalizing weed are looking at the profits they are set to make from the taxes while they ignore the public safety concerns.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:38 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
I'd rather see alcohol be illegal, than marijuana, although I do not believe that MJ is harmless as some of its fans do. I live in Colorado. I'm not a user of it, though I did when I was younger, not in many years. I think that alcohol is more flagrantly harmful. I haven't seen legalization cause tremendous public safety problems here. If anything, the legal stuff has driven prices up. I think it was easier for kids to get when it was illegal. I had zero problem getting weed when I was a teenager in the 90s and it was completely illegal.

It should be illegal to profit from prisoners. It should be illegal to seize property from people suspected of a crime, and not release it to their authorized agent or give it back if they're found innocent, if it was legal property for them to own.

It should be illegal how complex some utility rates are, with all kinds of hidden costs and stupid rate riders coming and going all the time. Utility rates should be simple and transparent, always.

Predatory lending. There are laws being passed in some places against this.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:00 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,717 times
Eminent Domain - when practiced on behalf of a for-profit corporation.

The case up in the northeast was (a) the first such case, and (b) proof that is shouldn't happen. A land developer got the city and then the courts to force a woman out of her home after years of her refusal to sell. Then the development flopped and nothing got built. Tons of government (read: taxpayer) expenditure, the woman lost her house and all for naught because the corporation BK'd.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:05 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,641,539 times
Civil asset forfeiture. It’s a recipe for abuse and, IMO, a clear violation of due process. I support the police but not on this. Many police departments have expected revenues from this written into their budgets. It needs to stop.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
The use of cell phones in cars unless they are parked (yes, even hands-free). I would like to see mandatory factory installed cell phone jammers that activate the moment a car is put into gear. The phones would work fine when parked in case of emergencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies