Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:02 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
How many rubles do you get paid per month? Two people in the boonies shouldn't get to dictate how most Americans concentrated in urban centers get to live their lives.

THAT, sir or madam, is exactly why The Electoral College exists; so that the major population centers can't control the entire country.
Yes, hillary won california and new york, but lost Middle America, and trump ran away with the Electoral College. Those people in "the boonies" gave trump the Presidency!
As one of those boonie dwellers, I love it.
That is also why portions of California want to separate and form their own states. The same applies to Eastern Washington. Perhaps it will happen someday...
Even many of those who live in Western New York State often state emphatically "THIS is NOT New York City!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Wonderful. L.A., San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, and NYC is dictating the lives of everyone else in the United States (the other 46 states). Does that make you feel good? Is that your idea of fair? Some cowboy out on the Wyoming range is having his life dictated to him by a dweeb millennial sitting in a Starbucks somewhere, swilling down latte? Is that your idea of "equality"? One voice is heard and the next is given the middle finger?

Break the Union. It's the only solution to liberal tyranny.
Don't be a drama queen, the rural states have the Senate....and will continue to for the forseeable future.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:03 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Flip side of that, should one guy in Wyoming have as much say as 68 Californians? As that's about what it works out to in Senate representation.
No, and that's why I said a Balkanization is the answer.

Other than that, we could ramp up states rights and downgrade federal power. But you guys won't even hear of that. That way, the cowboy in Wyoming does his thing, and the Millennial in a Seattle Starbucks does his (sorry, "it's") thing. And everyone's happy. But I really don't think that's what the left wants. My opinion is that what they really want is power over everyone.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:04 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Wonderful. L.A., San Fran, Seattle, Chicago, and NYC is dictating the lives of everyone else in the United States (the other 46 states). Does that make you feel good? Is that your idea of fair? Some cowboy out on the Wyoming range is having his life dictated to him by a dweeb millennial sitting in a Starbucks somewhere, swilling down latte? Is that your idea of "equality"? One voice is heard and the next is given the middle finger?

Break the Union. It's the only solution to liberal tyranny.
Dictate? Who's dictating anything to anyone? Obviously, no one is dictating a thing to you.

You have no idea of what tyranny really is or isn't. If you did, you would edefinitely not want to break the Union.

None of the 'blue' states are actually blue, just as none of the red states are actually red. This is only an easy, but false construct for use on television.

Every blue state is full of red conservatives, and ever red state is full of blue liberals. Our friends and relations in all of them, and their affiliations all differ. There is no place in the nation where the same political affiliation is universal to everyone.

And for most of us, politics is only an affiliation. It does not rule our daily decisions, events, friendships, or the rest of what makes life what it is.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
How many rubles do you get paid per month? Two people in the boonies shouldn't get to dictate how most Americans concentrated in urban centers get to live their lives.
And can you give me one reason that the converse should be true? How about if everyone runs their own lives (or states, in this case) the way that works best for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So the cowboy in Wyoming's struggle is San Francisco, LA, Seattle, Chicago, and NYC's fault?

When will the right-wing start applying the personal responsibility that they talked about so much?

Struggle? What struggle. The guy is free. If you'd get out of the city once in awhile, you'd know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Don't be a drama queen, the rural states have the Senate....and will continue to for the forseeable future.
I don't give a damn about the senate. I'm talking the philosophy of life here. Either you want absolute power over others or you don't. You do. I don't. It's that simple. I want everyone to live as they see fit. You don't. I want everyone to be able to make life choices for themselves. You don't.

How do I know that? Because EVERYTHING you lefties propose is tyranny. Every damn bill, law, regulation, etc, is about nothing more than social engineering and forced dependency. I want none of it. As I said, I want the two coasts and the rest of the nation to get a divorce, because they hate each other and have nothing in common. At that point, it's time for a divorce.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:12 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
With the exception of 38 miles in Washington, the entire continental West Coast is now blue
It's a trick. We Red's are herding the Blues into the Pacific Ocean.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Dictate? Who's dictating anything to anyone? Obviously, no one is dictating a thing to you.

You have no idea of what tyranny really is or isn't. If you did, you would edefinitely not want to break the Union.

None of the 'blue' states are actually blue, just as none of the red states are actually red. This is only an easy, but false construct for use on television.

Every blue state is full of red conservatives, and ever red state is full of blue liberals. Our friends and relations in all of them, and their affiliations all differ. There is no place in the nation where the same political affiliation is universal to everyone.

And for most of us, politics is only an affiliation. It does not rule our daily decisions, events, friendships, or the rest of what makes life what it is.
I found out what tyranny is in 2010. And even though someone with some sense in his head came along and gutted it, I'll never forget what it feels like. And I simply do not want it again.

And you are wrong about politics being affiliation. Actually you're not wrong, but it goes much farther than that. Politics dictates the way we live our lives. Will we live it free or enslaved. Politics decided. Ask any slave from the antebellum south. All politics. What the left wants is another version of the plantation system.

As for breaking the Union. It's no more complicated than a man and woman getting a divorce if they hate each other to such a degree that they have nothing in common. Rather than killing each other or making each other miserable, they divorce. Common sense.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It's a trick. We Red's are herding the Blues into the Pacific Ocean.
Somebody needs to...

Old 11-12-2018, 01:23 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Because we don't have snow, hurricane, hail storm, or even thunderstorm to slow it down.

It's just sun, sun, and more sun. Yeah, it's bad.

You don't have enough drinking water either, but who needs that when you don't have a straw to drink it with right?

Old 11-12-2018, 01:29 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You don't have enough drinking water either, but who needs that when you don't have a straw to drink it with right?
Well that’s more of a Midwest/eastern problem with old infrastructure poisoning the water supply like Flint, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies