Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:32 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
If the law saves one life, will it be worth it?
Would a law against automobiles save at least one life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 10:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
You were literally allowed to own another human being when the constitution was written. It is an outdated document that becomes more and more obsolete as our technology advances.

I do support the right for every law abiding citizen to own as many firearms as they please (including class C), but I could care less what the constitution says.
Slavery was a hot potato issue that would have prevented the establishment of the Constitution. What they did establish is a twenty year escape clause and the 3/5 clause which hopefully you understand it’s meaning. The Founders created a method at which future legislation could make proper changes.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:45 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
LOL. And the term "arms" at that time meant blunderbusses, muskets and flintlocks.
You are wrong. Don't bask in it.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:48 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Yes, I agree with you.

You may keep (own) a gun
You may carry it around with you (bear)

But it has to be unloaded. Is that infringement?
It has to be registered. Is that infringement?
It has to be visible, not concealed. Is that infringement?
But you can't sell it. Is that infringement?

I'm not taking a particular stance here, just pointing out that there are laws that could be passed to regulate arms that would not violate the terms of the 2A
Try it. At some point there will be retaliation.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Awesome! I think I'm gonna go out and get me a few "nucular" weapons!

Because the Constitution says that's OK, right?
Nukes are not a 'commonly used' weapon of war though.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:14 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You're wasting your time. The ignorant anti gun nuts don't care about the constitution, they don't care about saving lives they just want to push their gun ban agenda. If they cared about saving lives they'd acknowledge the hundreds of thousands to millions of defensive gun uses ever year, but they don't. If they cared about saving lives they'd try doing something to stop criminals rather than push for "assault weapon" bans that will impact zero crimes. If they cared about saving lives they'd acknowledge that the overwhelming majority of "gun crime" happens in about 2% of the US - areas dominated by liberals while over half the US has a murder rate of zero, but they don't.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
I think the 18th/21st shows just how ridgid the Amendments are. Protection from a tyranical government? I have worked on over a dozen military bases and have seen close up what our government has at their finger tips. If they are coming after you ... I hate to say it ... but you are screwed. Now if you want to claim that firearms should be available to protect yourself from your fellow citizens you will get no arguement from me. I simply do not understand why some take a ridgid stance in regards to the wording of such a dated piece of literature. Simply based on the two instances I mentioned ... a repel of an amendment and that our government has got the really really good stuff at their disposal.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I think the 18th/21st shows just how ridgid the Amendments are. Protection from a tyranical government? I have worked on over a dozen military bases and have seen close up what our government has at their finger tips. If they are coming after you ... I hate to say it ... but you are screwed. Now if you want to claim that firearms should be available to protect yourself from your fellow citizens you will get no arguement from me. I simply do not understand why some take a ridgid stance in regards to the wording of such a dated piece of literature. Simply based on the two instances I mentioned ... a repel of an amendment and that our government has got the really really good stuff at their disposal.
Not necessarily, everyone thought the same thing with Afghanistan, but turns out, the mighty US military had a much tougher time than they expected.

Its the old 'david vs goliath' scenario...we know that sometimes david (the little guy) can bring down goliath (the experienced warrior).

Old 11-21-2018, 11:26 AM

2,486 posts, read 824,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Oh, good. Another gun thread. We'll solve the issue with this one, I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
C-D ia truely a silly place..
Silly at times, sad at times. So many misinformed people.

The reality that very few if any minds are changed by anything typed in here, no matter how rational and factual said points are.

As for gun control:

"We don't want to take your guns, just ration bullets"

"We don't want to take your guns but we will if you keep them loaded in your home"

"We don't want to take your guns because we can't, yet"

If we're being honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I think the 18th/21st shows just how ridgid the Amendments are. Protection from a tyranical government? I have worked on over a dozen military bases and have seen close up what our government has at their finger tips. If they are coming after you ... I hate to say it ... but you are screwed.

You think OUR GOVERNMENT would dare to turn our own military against us? Good Luck with that!

You just gave the best example of why 60 million people will keep their arms, no matter how small or large.

Last edited by Originalist; 11-21-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 11:40 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Yeah, probably discussed nuclear powered submarines, guided missiles, and aircraft carriers too.
Yes, we should also abolish the 1st amendment because the Founders never discussed how many bits per second your internet connection might be some day..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies