Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 04:34 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Why? Why should we all have political equality? What's your moral basis for claiming that we all "deserve this?" Why is your life as valuable as his?
Why? Because this is America. American citizens are suppose to be treated like just that, American citizens. We're a free country so we should act like it. Otherwise, we can't call America a free country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 07:01 PM

26,508 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Residinghere,
You seem to have evolved over time on the genetic connection to IQ.

Do you deny any of the following:

-High IQ brains show different physical structures than normal IQ brains and some of these physical structural differences are genetic in nature.

-Although individual genes have a minimal impact on IQ there are scores of genes believed to be correlated to IQ and the latest scientific research suggests that about 80% of an adult's IQ is genetic.

-80% is not 100%. Nutrition, culture (not all cultures are equal), being exposed to violence at a young age, etc...can have an impact on IQ as well.

-It is estimated that genetics plays a much smaller role in the IQ of kids than adults.

-Although not a perfect correlation, there is a strong correlation between performance on an IQ test and performance on the SAT/ACT.

-People get hypersensitive about the fact that genetics does play a role on IQ, because they fear it has implications on class, race, democracy, equality, their family, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Other societies before us, like India and Great Britain, realized that a caste-like structure of society is the default because humans differ in intelligence and ability.

I think it’s going to take Americans some time to accept that social hierarchies are simply the natural order of things, whether we like it or not. And we have to deal with it accordingly.
I wouldn't support any rigid social structure. People with high IQs can have bad personality traits and throw their life away and people with mediocre IQs can have immense talents in other areas, work hard, and achieve a lot.

I just don't understand the many liberals in my life and even on here who go out of their way to deny science, deny reality, ignore studies, even lie about what a study said, etc...and then proclaim themselves as followers of science and belonging to the party of science.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Other societies before us, like India and Great Britain, realized that a caste-like structure of society is the default because humans differ in intelligence and ability.

I think it’s going to take Americans some time to accept that social hierarchies are simply the natural order of things, whether we like it or not. And we have to deal with it accordingly.
Excellent point.

Even ants have a caste-system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Researchers routinely state the above in these studies, especially the blue. They state they've identified genes then provide information on how they both are and/or are not shown in influencing intelligence or IQ scores. All of them admit that environment is a determining factor in test scores and cognitive ability along with personality traits including introversion/extroversion, neuroticism, resiliency, etc.
And you ignored this part: suggesting that thousands more are likely to be involved and still await discovery.

There are Billions and Billions of genes. They aren't even remotely close to being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I will repeat what I have said before, and that is that I am firmly convinced that the socioeconomic climate a child is born into and then experiences has much more to do with his or her outcome than his or her skin color.
It doesn't, because people in the worst socio-economic environment still manage to excel, just as people in the best of such environments fail miserably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, you're preaching to the choir here! I am sure that in my son's case, spending his first years in a poor home where crime and illegal drug use were rampant and where he was severely neglected, and then coming to our middle-class home where he was the focus of attention for a very long time and received very good care, definitely had some kind of impact on his intelligence!
You're imagining things. It didn't affect his intelligence, but it may have positively impacted his desire to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
There was a fed program that had measurable positive results, but only while the child was participating. Once out of the program, well reversion back to baseline rapidly occured. I think it was called First Start or something like than. It had no long-term beneficial effects.
Correct. It was Head Start. Every study ever done showed they perform ahead of their peers up to a point, generally the 4th or 5th Grade, but after that, in comparisons at the 6th, 8th, 10th and 12th Grades, it was as though they had never been in the program.

Quote:
On the bold - they can it depends on what you view as "retarded."
There's an actual medical definition.

Quote:
LOL at you comparing IQ to "gravity" something that is a natural force that is clearly defined and can be easily measured.
That's a Straw Man.

Quote:
Nothing you mentioned about math negates what I stated. And nothing you mentioned about pattern recognition negates what I stated. So what is your point based on your response to me?
Absolutely it negates it.

Quote:
Are you saying that IQ tests don't primarily measure verbal and pattern recognition skills?
Not at all. I'm saying those are skills, and like all skills, they're genetically determined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies