Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I can't stand pop Christmas music in general. From Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer to Santa Baby, it's all obnoxious. The one exception is
Carol of the Bells
, which is lovely.
I also love "Carol of the Bells", but I have read that it's a traditional Ukrainian melody, not a pop song. Not sure if the English lyrics are a translation or original, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:30 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Yeah it's funny Chris Brown can sing a song called "these Hoes ain't loyal" and everybody's like "meh, it's hip-hop so I guess it's cool"

But this dorky Christmas song from 1944...whoa now! Triggered AF.
BWAHAHAHAHA exactly.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I also love "Carol of the Bells", but I have read that it's a traditional Ukrainian melody, not a pop song. Not sure if the English lyrics are a translation or original, however.
There are several pop versions of Carol of the Bells, including one by the Piano Guys. I love them one and all. The one you kindly posted above so that it is visible -- thank you because I've forgotten how to do that -- is my favorite. It never fails to get me in the mood for the holidays. The 1904 version with lyrics by Wilhousky is sung in Ukrainian and was associated with the coming new year, which in pre-Christian Ukraine, happened in spring. The modern version, of course, is sung at Christmas. When Christianity came to Ukraine, along with the Julian calendar, the new year was moved to January, and the chant was sung at Epiphany. The translated words of the original chant are very different than the version we in the west know today.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-02-2018 at 05:33 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 05:31 PM

294 posts, read 219,936 times
Our foreign enemies laugh out loud at how weak and pathetic half this country has become. Good thing we will have some real Americans around for a few more decades, after that we are screwed. PC global goons will be the norm then.
My new favorite saying is mental illness can be treated but stupid is forever.
I am sooooo glad I'm getting old, it's been a great life.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:38 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
If "Baby it's cold outside" is offensive, I wonder how they'll react to Weird Al Yankovic's classics like "Christmas at Ground Zero" and "The Night Santa Get crazy"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb-Mce9VpmY
I remember those on the radio. Bob Rivers has some unique versions of traditional Christmas songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9UR...sTBF71MmobT9Lw

Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
I like the Barns Courtney version. And he's a Brit, born in 1990, so maybe there's some hope for the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAKQJdGPxuY

Old 12-02-2018, 07:38 PM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
It's a stupid song. I'm fine with never having to hear it again. Radio stations decide every day what songs to play or not to play, and have been doing so since KDKA hit the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I guess that puts the kibosh on Gary Puckett's catalog of songs.
LMAO - seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Leftists are Bat Guano Nutters Normal People are well aware of that. It’s a sickness within them.
WDOK is a pop radio station owned by CBS Radio. Big corporations are rarely "leftist", or any other of the childish language you chose to employ in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yup. That's Red Skelton---and the woman is Betty Garrett. Some might remember her from "Laverne and Shirley" although she was in many movies back in the 40s and 50s.
Betty Garrett has an interesting history - her husband, Larry Parks, was blacklisted in the 50s. She was not, but had a tough time finding work for about a decade. Their son, Andrew, is also an actor - he co-starred in "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra", a hilarious sendup of 1950s B sci-fi films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I rewatched Animal House last week. It's been 40 years since it was released and just for fun I checked and found several news/op-ed pieces about how un-PC the film is. Racist and sexist. The movie is hysterical, IMHO. I loved it when it came out and think it is a classic. And I'm a woman and a moderate - just FYI. I don't find it offensive at all.
You also can't recognize satire when it's right in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Hello? Shelia E? Although I know you were jesting
But remember the flak Karen Carpenter took early in her career because she played drums? It wasn't ladylike, no one could "see" her over the drum kit, no one would take a female drummer seriously, etc.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsunkown View Post
I kid you not basically the lyrics dog whistle for date rape.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/01/us/ba...rnd/index.html
Plenty of Christmas songs are under attack. Mommy kissing Santa Claus, ertha Kitts Santa baby is offensive due to its sexual nature. Grandma got ran over by a reindeer. Sjws and to a certain degree feminists do not like holidays due to most holidays in this country to be offensive. If sjw and feminists take over America. Celebrating Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween and Easter will land you in prison.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:56 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsunkown View Post
I kid you not basically the lyrics dog whistle for date rape.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/01/us/ba...rnd/index.html

Where do these people think babies come from?

Good night already!

Men and women do this sort of thing.

It's OK and normal.

She probably set the whole thing up anyway.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
the title is

"baby it's cold outside"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies