Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM

36,549 posts, read 30,891,756 times

Advertisements

If I dont like a song, I dont have to listen to it. If its playing in a public venue, well I'm pretty good at tuning things out.
If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out. Or at least dont look. Same goes for the ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
What's next. Mlk day will be offensive. None Irish people can't celebrate St Patrick's day due to cultural appropriation?

Old 12-03-2018, 09:22 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Is this a popular song? Because I've never heard of it. Much ado about nothing.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Yeah it's funny Chris Brown can sing a song called "these Hoes ain't loyal" and everybody's like "meh, it's hip-hop so I guess it's cool"

But this dorky Christmas song from 1944...whoa now! Triggered AF.

And this is society now, it's only going to get worse. Where's that damn asteroid at ? We need a reboot !

Old 12-03-2018, 09:26 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Another year, another "Baby it's cold outside" debate about how rapey and meetoo-ish it is.

My only conclusion is that there must be a lot more miserable people out there than there used to be (likely mostly women but who's counting) who have nobody even halfway tempted to roofie them, and this really torques them off. Lets be honest, if everybody was happily getting laid nobody would care at all about this song.
I'm no fan of trump, but those who are miserable are still angry trump became president.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:26 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
stop trying to ban everything jesus.
I'm dying to know how "Baby, It's Cold Outside" has anything to do with Jesus.

Or Christmas, for that matter.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Yeah it's funny Chris Brown can sing a song called "these Hoes ain't loyal" and everybody's like "meh, it's hip-hop so I guess it's cool"

But this dorky Christmas song from 1944...whoa now! Triggered AF.
When is the last time you heard a song like that on a Top 100 radio station? I'm not even familiar with it; however, one song that I hear frequently and would like to see pulled is Timber by Pitbull featuring Ke$ha. That song is simply gross. There are others, but Timber I still hear frequently, and I'd love to see it tossed into the dustbin of musical history. The lyrics really do push the boundaries of "no means no."

Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm not young, and I've never been sexually assaulted, but I have to admit that long before the "Metoo" movement I found the song unsettling. It's a little creepy.

Which version ? The original, where the woman is the lead or the one with the male lead ?

How one can be unsettle about this song is beyond me. I've only seen/heard the version from an old movie clip, with the male in the lead, not sure of the actors.

From what I took , it seemed like playful flirting. The era of the movie was in the 40's I think , so its safe to say that things were much different than today. It seemed like while they were flirting they were coming up with a story to tell those that would frown on the situation.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm dying to know how "Baby, It's Cold Outside" has anything to do with Jesus.

Or Christmas, for that matter.
Don't you remember how Jesus tried to roofie Mary Magdalene???

Old 12-03-2018, 09:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Which version ? The original, where the woman is the lead or the one with the male lead ?

How one can be unsettle about this song is beyond me. I've only seen/heard the version from an old movie clip, with the male in the lead, not sure of the actors.

From what I took , it seemed like playful flirting. The era of the movie was in the 40's I think , so its safe to say that things were much different than today. It seemed like while they were flirting they were coming up with a story to tell those that would frown on the situation.
The original was written by Frank Loesser and his wife, Lynn Garland. They sang it on the party circuit long before it was included in the score for Neptune's Daughter. In the actual original, Frank took the more assertive role. You're absolutely right that Betty Garrett sang the dominant part in one of the versions included in the movie -- there were two with the second featuring Ricardo Montalban and Esther Williams -- but that was not how it was written originally. Of note, Lynn Garland deeply resented her husband for selling out "their song."

In any case, the song does not read the same way now that it did then, and, more importantly, it has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas, which is my real problem with this thread and the fourteen other threads people have started about it. The OP is trying to pass this controversy off as part and parcel of a non-existent war on Christmas, but a song about a guy trying to get lucky during a snowstorm has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas. Baby, It's Cold Outside is not a Christmas song! Joy to the World is a Christmas song, and if the OP was really concerned about the coopting of the liturgical seasons called Advent & Christmas into a secular celebration of materialism, he wouldn't be trying to portray this radio station's decision as such.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-03-2018 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies