Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 11:33 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Totally. Get their own place. Easy. Solved. I wouldn't allow that here. Renting a room from me? No guns. Go elsewhere.
Do you allow knives in the kitchen? Asking for a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
If there is a course of action ($$$) it is against the landlord who likely breached the lease contract.
It was likely month to month. So unlikely anything was broken.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,226,954 times
You know, things would have been so much easier if Pirnie followed the path blazed by Elle Woods who offended the hallowed halls of Harvard by bringing a Pink Porsche and a little yappy dog to law school.....

Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
That's right ,move out
Then she is the one responsible for all of the rent.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Absolutely true.

They should have the right to move out and live somewhere else.

Wait, doesn't she have that right already?

The girl who owned the guns did nothing wrong, of course. Her guns were completely legal and did nothing to harm anybody, She even did her roomies the courtesy of hiding her (perfectly legal) guns and not revealing their existence to them. It was only when this roommate broke into her private belongings that the roommate found something she didn't like (despite there actually being nothing wrong with it).

The lady gun owner did nothing that caused any problem. The roommate is the one with the problem, which wasn't caused in the slightest by the lady gun owner.

Clearly, it's the roommate who should move out. AFTER apologizing to the law-biding gun owner for burgling her things.
If the uncomfortable roommates move out the one with the gun needs to pay the entire rent. It is in her best interest to move rather than pay the entire rent herself.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:57 AM

23,655 posts, read 12,569,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It's not clear when she finally got the gun safe.
No it is not clear. It is also not clear if she'd had the guns in a locked dresser drawer, a locked closet, etc. (drawers, closets, etc. are 'containers')

One would think that if she had been breaking the law then the police would have gone after her for the felony violation of not having the gun locked up, using her roommates as witnesses. If they filed charges on a fellow policeman for keeping a weapon in an unlocked dresser drawer in an unlocked house then it stands to reason that they wouldn't let some college kid off the hook for doing the very same thing (if she actually did).
"A State police lieutenant from Sandwich was charged with a felony, for improper storage of a firearm. He had left an unlocked, unloaded gun in a unlocked dresser drawer along with a loaded magazine, in an unlocked house in 2008."
Gun Sense #22, Firearm Storage and ‘Direct Control’ in Ma.

Quote:
What IS clear is that she kept her roommates guessing
Guessing at what?

Quote:
(and again it is Massachusetts law that the guns be stored under key).
The law states they either need to be locked up OR have trigger guards.
Again, we don't know if she had locks on doors, drawers, etc., if she had kept them in a locked box, or, if she had trigger guards on them. You are going off on a tangent without knowing the facts. (probably just because it appears that she is a Trump supporting 'legal' gun owner.. wow.)

Quote:
Pirnie only demonstrated that there was a safe on the premises to the police captain whom she "invited" (landlord's quote) to a show-and-tell. And this months after the guns were found.

The girl's a wacko. No way would I have any confidence at this point that she'd use the safe. After all that dancing around? The landlord is right; she needs to leave.
Seems the only thing demonstrated here is that the roommates had committed crimes by illegally entering her room and illegally searching it. A rented room IS private property belonging to the renter. The roommates had NO business entering her room. If they had a problem they should have contacted the landlord, and chances are good that not even the landlord could have entered her room to search for weapons. Nope, he probably would have had to wait and ask the girl if she had guns and if she had the legal right to have any weapons ....that is if he had the grounds to even ask her that.

The only wacko's, and lawbreakers, are the roommates.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
No it is not clear. It is also not clear if she'd had the guns in a locked dresser drawer, a locked closet, etc. (drawers, closets, etc. are 'containers')
Per the written record (roommate memo to landlord), the "several" guns were "loaded and unlocked." Pirnie does not dispute this.

Quote:
Guessing at what?

The law states they either need to be locked up OR have trigger guards.
Whether or not she was going to comply with the agreement reached at the official roommate meeting in October (and Massachusetts law) by properly securing the guns. The roommates also wanted trigger guards and the firing mechanism disabled. Pirnie initially agreed to locking up the guns and the trigger guards but would not disable the firing mechanism. The roommates accepted that "compromise."

The roommate memo makes it clear that Pirnie kept them in the dark about what if anything she ended up doing. She later "invited" the police chief to see a gunsafe procured at some point. The roommates mention post-October conversations with "tempers" and "emotions." Pirnie informed them she and her guns would move out in November but later changed her mind.

So, yes, it all became a "guessing" game.

Quote:
Again, we don't know if she had locks on doors, drawers, etc., if she had kept them in a locked box, or, if she had trigger guards on them. You are going off on a tangent without knowing the facts. (probably just because it appears that she is a Trump supporting 'legal' gun owner.. wow.)
See above. We do know that.

Quote:
Seems the only thing demonstrated here is that the roommates had committed crimes by illegally entering her room and illegally searching it. A rented room IS private property belonging to the renter. The roommates had NO business entering her room. If they had a problem they should have contacted the landlord, and chances are good that not even the landlord could have entered her room to search for weapons. Nope, he probably would have had to wait and ask the girl if she had the legal right to have any weapons she may have had....that is if he had the grounds to even ask her that.

The only wacko's, and lawbreakers, are the roommates.
Not an attorney here and don't live in Massachusetts, but it's not at all clear that the roommates committed a crime. Sure, no one wants your roommates searching through your undie drawers and certainly there is an expectation of privacy. But it strikes me that if it is a common lease (which this appears to have been with any remaining roommate(s) responsible for the entirety of the rent), then there are no separate legal spaces. Rather, the roommates informally agree how the space is to be used (whose bedroom is whose etc., whose kitchen shelf is whose etc.).

Old 12-02-2018, 12:48 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Unless there is a lock on the door, there is no “expectation of privacy” in a house shared with a half a dozen roommates.

If you want privacy, you get your phone own place.

I’ve lived in roommate situations. They come in and borrow hair spray, jackets, umbrellas, ...

Imagine if instead of several loaded, unsecured, and illegal guns she was cooking meth in her bedroom. Then what?

Old 12-02-2018, 12:54 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The guns were "safely and legally stored under lock and key" when the police inspected but obviously not when the roommates found them. Leyla argues that they are useless for defense if under lock and key ,and the roommates say that they are fine with the guns if they are under lock and key.

Suing means collecting monetary damages. Her legal recourse would be that that the landlord or tenants breached the lease agreement. I don't know what is in her lease agreement.
Where does it say that? What link are you reading? I read nothing of the sort in the 3 links that I saw provided in this thread: The OP's link, and the one of the image of the letter, and the Heavy article that you provided. Where did it say that they were "okay" with it if it was under lock and key?

Again, an officer of the law already said that her guns were safely stored and legal, but that has not stopped all the gun haters on here from making up their own version of events. In the links that YOU provided, the image and "Heavy dot com", it says that - so why are you making things up?

Further, has it occurred to some that with these roommates snooping through her room that they found the key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Unless there is a lock on the door, there is no “expectation of privacy” in a house shared with a half a dozen roommates.

I’ve lived in roommate situations. They come in and borrow hair spray, jackets, umbrellas, ...

Imagine if instead of several loaded, unsecured, and illegal guns she was cooking meth in her bedroom. Then what?
BS. When renting with multiple people, you are paying for your own room and the shared use of common areas. Your room is NOT "shared use". I absolutely have the expectation of privacy when I'm shelling out hundreds of dollars a month that the belongings in my room are private. Someone else living in that house does not give them the right to enter my room, that I'm paying for, and to go through my personal belongings.

It doesn't matter how much some people on here are trying to make the unhinged roommates correct and the gun owner wrong, it doesn't change the fact that what they did was very wrong, and the gun owner had done nothing wrong.

The only thing that has been said that is correct in this thread is that: a) the roommates should never have gone through her things and b) the gun owner should have told them she had guns.

Some of you all have been going on for pages and pages just making things up as you go - as one person pointed out to another poster earlier, "how exciting!" it must be for some of you all to trash on yet another gun owner in this country.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 12-02-2018 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 12:55 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,594,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

I would expect privacy either way. A closed door is to be respected, lock or no lock.

In any case, this is just another example of why people need to establish ground rules before sharing a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies