Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:30 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
And even in Pirnie's home state, the firearm on campus policy of University of Alabama is as strict as that of Harvard:
https://www.ua.edu/about/policies/fi...icy(FINAL).pdf
The rental wasn't on campus. Many college/university localities have off-campus rental housing. My own kids lived in exactly such in 2 different states.

If guns weren't prohibited in the lease, neither the landlord nor the other tenants have any legal rights to restrict Pirnie's gun ownership/possession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Wonder if Lelya Pirnie will bring her tale of woe to Judge Judy.
Taking the case to SCOTUS is the appropriate route. Force SCOTUS to actually do the job they've sworn an oath of office to do and uphold the US Constitution, namely, Article IV.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The rental wasn't on campus. Many college/university localities have off-campus rental housing. My own kids lived in exactly such in 2 different states.

If guns weren't prohibited in the lease, neither the landlord nor the other tenants have any legal rights to restrict Pirnie's gun ownership/possession.
I don't see this issue has anything to do with legality. It is more related to how the other 6 roommates are comfortable with it.

My daughter also lives off-campus in Boston. She doesn't like to live with someone who is a gun owner, a lesbian, who smokes marijuana, who likes to bring boyfriend back and stay overnight every weekend, who is alcoholic,....etc. So finally she chose to live in a studio alone.

All the above-mentioned behaviors are certainly legal. But my daughter is just not comfortable with them.

Of course, if I were the parent of one of the 6 girls, I will tell her to move out right away. Don't mind about the deposit. Don't put herself at risk. It is not worth.

And if I were Pirnie's parent, I would advise her to be considerate.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 12-07-2018 at 12:54 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 01:21 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
I don't see this issue has anything to do with legality. It is more related to how the other 6 roommates are comfortable with it.

My daughter also lives off-campus in Boston. She doesn't like to live with someone who is a gun owner, a lesbian, who smokes marijuana, who likes to bring boyfriend back and stay overnight every weekend, who is alcoholic,....etc. So finally she chose to live in a studio alone.

All the above-mentioned behaviors are certainly legal. But my daughter is just not comfortable with them.

Of course, if I were the parent of one of the 6 girls, I will tell her to move out right away. Don't mind about the deposit. Don't put herself at risk. It is not worth.

IIRC, Pirnie's father is the one who advised her to tell her roommates to shove it, she was staying whether they liked it or not.

If I were the parent of one of the six roommates, I would encourage her to move out immediately before this ditzy dame reveals their names to her MAGA followers.

If Pirnie wants to stay, fine.

But no person, man or woman, should continue to live in a home where they don't feel safe.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:29 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:

a lesbian with a boyfriend ?

Old 12-07-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
a lesbian with a boyfriend ?
I think you may have misread that. A potential roommate does not have to do all those to be disqualified, only one.

A studio apartment is likely going to be Pirnie's best bet. Hard to imagine many willing to sharing a home with a woman who goes on Fox to complain about roommate disputes.

Unless, of course, they are sleeping with her. Unfortunately, that type of relationship has gone south in the past. So studio apartment it is.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Taking the case to SCOTUS is the appropriate route. Force SCOTUS to actually do the job they've sworn an oath of office to do and uphold the US Constitution, namely, Article IV.

Alas, roommate dispute cases that come in from of Judge Judy do not work their way up to the Supreme Court.

Disappointing, I know.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:19 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
And even in Pirnie's home state, the firearm on campus policy of University of Alabama is as strict as that of Harvard:
https://www.ua.edu/about/policies/fi...icy(FINAL).pdf

The other 6 girls, who used to live in dorm before they moved to live off-campus, would unwittingly assume that Pirnie does not possess any weapon and did not ask her related question.

So if Pirnie has lived in dorm and knows that gun is not allowed, why did she hide it from the other 6 roommates?
I took your comments to mean that even in a "conservative" state it is not considered wise to have guns (certainly not loaded and unsecured) in group settings of young people who are sometimes immature and who themselves barely know each other.

Common sense. And I agree so sensible that the girls probably never would have thought to ask Pirnie about it when they first met. Like who would do that, at least without some sort of heads up.

This strikes me as a perfect example of the argument that it is not guns who kill people but people who kill people. This is not the attack against the Second Amendment that the conservative press spun but instead two people (Pirnie, and maybe the French girl) who each ended up with exactly the wrong roommate.

The Americans may never even have thought to wonder (finding it so unlikely and perhaps coming from areas where guns just aren't around much). The French girl on the other hand, not so. We're traveling a lot these days with Europeans quite willing to bring up volatile political topics. The first subject should be obvious but the second often is something like "Why do you Americans have all those guns." Some appear convinced we're all toting. And, then, too if Pirnie obsessed enough about the abuse situation to have "several" (per the roommate memo) she too may have sparked some "situational awareness."

So you've got Pirnie bound and determined to keep guns to defend herself against another abusive relationship and the French girl with PTSD who just lost her best friend in a Parisian shooting coming together. There were six roommates and so probably not all were initially on the same page. But once the loaded weapons were discovered then no doubt it was a strong group of six opposed to one. Not so good, that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies