Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,779 times

Advertisements

Assuming Pirnie voluntarily or involuntarily leaves the apartment and moves back to dorm on campus, does Harvard allow her to keep the gun, secured or unsecured, in her room?

Most likely she cannot.

Here are the rules:
https://handbook.fas.harvard.edu/boo...rms-explosives

"College rules require, at a minimum, that any weapons shall be stored in a secure place and not in a student’s room."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Oh My. Another Fox News martyr for the gun lobby. The indignity. What about the rights of her room mates? Get your own place.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,779 times
And even in Pirnie's home state, the firearm on campus policy of University of Alabama is as strict as that of Harvard:
https://www.ua.edu/about/policies/fi...icy(FINAL).pdf

The other 6 girls, who used to live in dorm before they moved to live off-campus, would unwittingly assume that Pirnie does not possess any weapon and did not ask her related question.

So if Pirnie has lived in dorm and knows that gun is not allowed, why did she hide it from the other 6 roommates?

Old 12-06-2018, 01:20 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
And even in Pirnie's home state, the firearm on campus policy of University of Alabama is as strict as that of Harvard:
https://www.ua.edu/about/policies/fi...icy(FINAL).pdf

The other 6 girls, who used to live in dorm before they moved to live off-campus, would unwittingly assume that Pirnie does not possess any weapon and did not ask her related question.

So if Pirnie has lived in dorm and knows that gun is not allowed, why did she hide it from the other 6 roommates?
Our country is so divided on this issue that we form two separate cultures. No problem, and those who think differently deserve respect although I would ask for common sense and return respect. But I gotta say, I am the supreme mother hen but never in a million years would it occur to me to ask whether my daughter's prospective college roommate kept guns. Instead ... Boyfriends. Visitors. Noise. Cleaning. Pets. Finances. Food. It's just a different world. Never personally met anyone who had them - or admitted to it.

Pirnie has lived in multiple cultures, even overseas where there is a strong anti-gun bias. How she could she not have been aware of this? Did she really assume that everyone thought as she did and would not object to loaded weapons with easy access? The friend I mentioned earlier in this thread had his family members murdered when a burglar stumbled across a gun. (And the only reason that gun was in that household was because it had been confiscated from someone thought to have been suicidal.)

These are college students. Who have parties. With drinking. And (rightfully or not) folks crashing on any available bed. So, yeah, folks need to be real upfront here.

I just don't get this girl. But I do have a strong bias against people who make messes then look around for others to blame then go crying to mommy ... or the boss ... or the press when stuff doesn't go their way. And then the press has a field day, with more slanted rhetoric and so off folks go to fight the wrong battles.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:22 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I'm a member of the NRA and own several guns. that being said, I wouldn't want to live in a house with a person/roommate I hardly knew who kept a gun. there would have to be a long-term, close relationship involved before trusting any person with a weapon in the house.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If so, that should have been stipulated in the lease. Absent that, the rental property owner has no say in the matter.
Exactly!

Old 12-06-2018, 01:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm a member of the NRA and own several guns. that being said, I wouldn't want to live in a house with a person/roommate I hardly knew who kept a gun. there would have to be a long-term, close relationship involved before trusting any person with a weapon in the house.
Living with people I barely knew, would be a good reason for me to live with a gun under my pillow.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:28 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
And I'd no doubt be perfectly comfortable staying in your house as a visitor.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:29 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Our country is so divided on this issue that we form two separate cultures. No problem, and those who think differently deserve respect although I would ask for common sense and return respect. But I gotta say, I am the supreme mother hen but never in a million years would it occur to me to ask whether my daughter's prospective college roommate kept guns. Instead ... Boyfriends. Visitors. Noise. Cleaning. Pets. Finances. Food. It's just a different world. Never personally met anyone who had them - or admitted to it.

Pirnie has lived in multiple cultures, even overseas where there is a strong anti-gun bias. How she could she not have been aware of this? Did she really assume that everyone thought as she did and would not object to loaded weapons with easy access? The friend I mentioned earlier in this thread had his family members murdered when a burglar stumbled across a gun. (And the only reason that gun was in that household was because it had been confiscated from someone thought to have been suicidal.)

These are college students. Who have parties. With drinking. And (rightfully or not) folks crashing on any available bed. So, yeah, folks need to be real upfront here.

I just don't get this girl. But I do have a strong bias against people who make messes then look around for others to blame then go crying to mommy ... or the boss ... or the press when stuff doesn't go their way. And then the press has a field day, with more slanted rhetoric and so off folks go to fight the wrong battles.
It's been years since my college days, but now that you bring it up, I recall college friends having parties where alcohol was consumed and folks would crash on any available bed.

But honestly, I don't remember any big deal about privacy. Roommates would come in all the time to borrow or return stuff -- books, clothes, shampoo, you name it.

The more I learn of Pirnie's story, the more I wonder about her. Who leaves loaded guns around? Who gets in a disagreement with her roommates then gives interviews to various reporters, whining about how she has been told just "so many lies?"

She's a grad student. Time for her to pull up her big girl panties and find some roomies who are fine with her Annie Oakey routine.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:57 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Wonder if Lelya Pirnie will bring her tale of woe to Judge Judy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies