Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 02:52 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
https://heavy.com/news/2018/12/leyla-pirnie/

"Although, Pirnie said her biggest issue was her roommates, who she barely knew, going through her personal belongings."

Don't move in with people you barely know.
in boston, i know mad persons that rent a room via craigslist. so many students the average studio is more thas $ 2 grand a month. one of my boys pays $ 800 with 4 roomates in one floor of a triple decker in dorchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I don't agree with her roommates going through her things, but I also feel she should have told them about the gun.

I agree with many of the posters that this is not "news" and is just a roommate issue. FWIW we own firearms in my home and I'd inform anyone who lives with me that we did and I also inform parents of children that come to our house what we have. There is a tense environment in our nation with all the shootings that are on TV all the time and I feel it is always best to be open and honest when you are a responsible gun owner.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:20 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,120,999 times
Private university. Private property.

Harvard can ban knives if they want.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:50 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
I can see it from both POVs. But Here's the part I don't understand.
Quote:
Pirnie told the outlet that she tried to reason with the roommates, saying she was a legal gun owner and was trained to handle the firearms, but the roommates were more concerned about someone else using the guns.
So she says she's trained to "handle the firearms" but she leaves it unsecure where anyone in the apartment, including someone who may have broken it, could find it. I'd be interested to know if it was loaded. The roommies were wrong to go through her stuff, but she was wrong t leave a gun where it could be found.

The landlord should also put it in the lease whether guns can be on property or not.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:13 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
I agree with others that Pirnie should have been upfront about her intent to bring guns into a shared household. Here in the Northeast I really don't think a landlord or roommates would have thought to ask about them - unlike, say, specifying that smoking would not be permitted. Both are legal activities (or can be made legal) but that doesn't mean that most would want to live with cigarette smoke or an arsenal (and why the multiple guns?).

This attitude may be somewhat regional. My aunt is in assisted living in Texas. The only notice on the front door is one that says guns are not permitted on the premises!

Also, Pirnie is quoted in the OP's linked article as saying:
Quote:
“Nobody has bothered to question, ‘Well, why do you want to have protection? Could it be because you've experienced something where you need to protect yourself as you see fit?'†she said, noting that she was in a physically abusive relationship in the past. “I have a real and legitimate reason as to why I want to protect myself.â€
When living in shared quarters, I'd sure hope that my other roommate would focus on protecting herself from a physically abusive relationship by making better partnership choices - not by preparing to whip out her guns when "she sees fit."

Old 12-01-2018, 11:32 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Roommates Disagree: News at 11
Which news station will be most unbiased?

Old 12-01-2018, 11:39 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I can completely understand that. If someone isn't comfortable with a gun they shouldn't have to live with one.
Absolutely true.

They should have the right to move out and live somewhere else.

Wait, doesn't she have that right already?

The girl who owned the guns did nothing wrong, of course. Her guns were completely legal and did nothing to harm anybody, She even did her roomies the courtesy of hiding her (perfectly legal) guns and not revealing their existence to them. It was only when this roommate broke into her private belongings that the roommate found something she didn't like (despite there actually being nothing wrong with it).

The lady gun owner did nothing that caused any problem. The roommate is the one with the problem, which wasn't caused in the slightest by the lady gun owner.

Clearly, it's the roommate who should move out. AFTER apologizing to the law-biding gun owner for burgling her things.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:48 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
And leave her with the full rent? Not to mention it seems to be seven against one. I can see why the landlord would go with the majority here.
Quote:
The lady gun owner did nothing that caused any problem. The roommate is the one with the problem, which wasn't caused in the slightest by the lady gun owner.
Well, other than leaving an unsecured gun out to be found. (And, yes, the roomies were wrong to go plundering.)

Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Absolutely true.

Wait, doesn't she have that right already?

The girl who owned the guns did nothing wrong, of course. Her guns were completely legal and did nothing to harm anybody, She even did her roomies the courtesy of hiding her (perfectly legal) guns and not revealing their existence to them. It was only when this roommate broke into her private belongings that the roommate found something she didn't like (despite there actually being nothing wrong with it).

Clearly, it's the roommate who should move out. AFTER apologizing to the law-biding gun owner for burgling her things.
They were both wrong. I would be furious if a roommate searched my room. On the other hand, not revealing to those with whom one shares a home that one plans to bring guns into that home is hardly a "courtesy."

This whole unfortunate situation could have been avoided if all of the prospective roommates had been honest with each other about their expectations during the selection process. This is true of many things, not just gun ownership.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:17 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
I don't know if I would have told them or not and here is my reasoning: they are strangers - I have no idea if they are doing anything illegal, if they might decide to use my gun for illegal activity - or even get drunk and just get it out and "play" with it and end up shooting someone. To prevent them from using it at all, if they found it, I would have it secured in a locked gun safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies