Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 08:16 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Hard to believe that her roommates were that terrified that they had to search her room. And these people go to Harvard? I think they belong in an extended therapy session.
I don't believe the article said they were all students, only the gun owner. In that area, it's very common for multiple roommates to share a home - the rent is very high and to live on their own would be impossible. So grad students, seniors, recent grads, middle aged, et al are roommates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 08:47 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Since she has an appointment with the police chief, it sounds like she has not be issued a permit in MA.
Massachusetts state law requires that all firearm be secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device.

Sounds like she didn't do that nor did she even make an appointment to get a permit until the roommates raised a fuss. As the fall term at Harvard starts in Sept., it has been several months.

Regardless of the state law, common sense tells you that she should have kept the gun in a more secure location and she should have told her roommates about it from the get go.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 12-02-2018 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 08:58 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
You must be giddy at the thought of criminalizing another gun owner. How exciting!!
She is traveling to another state she should at least know the laws, after all she is attending Harvard so I don't think that ignorance is an option. Anyway I didn't see that she was being charged with a crime.
Aside from regulations leaving a gun unsecured in an apartment with multiple room mates and visitors is careless. Part of the gun culture in our country, irresponsible owners that treat guns like a toy.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
In Mass,it can take several months to get an interview with the COP.its not a two day event.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
This has nothing to do with Harvard. Off campus housing rented by a private homeowner. I do agree she should have told her roommates she owned a gun up front so they could make the choice to live elsewhere. Yes, they were wrong to search her room, but she started that chain of events for being dishonest with them.

My daughter once rented a house with three other roommates, one of whom owned a gun. He told them that he did before moving in. They only agree if he held to their household rules. His gun was to be kept in a locked box in his bedroom and never anywhere else in their common areas. When he was at work or away, his bedroom door also had to locked.

Unreasonable? BTW, I've lived with my gun owning husband for 44 years. MY household rules are that his guns are always to be kept locked up; when we had young children at home, and now that they are grown up and gone.

Win/win situation. He keeps his guns but I don't have to be around them or see them on the coffee table or in nightstand.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:12 AM

23,597 posts, read 12,543,921 times
At the request of the property manager and Leyla, the police chief inspected the premises and the storage of her gun.

The police chief found that the guns were "safely and legally stored under lock and key".

The police chief also stated "Layla is in compliance with state laws and has an interview scheduled with him on December 11th as a part of her permit application".

The above information comes from a letter from the property manager, which was previously posted in this very thread. Since the link to this info can be found in this thread, I don't know why people on here are continuing to claim she didn't have the guns locked up and that she'd dropped the ball on legally having them in her apartment.

It appears that she'd previously filed for the permit application and all that left to do now is to have a face-to-face meeting to finalize her application. I don't know how that state deals with their permit applications, but since the police chief said that she was "in compliance with state laws" it is possible that the state had given their permission for her to have the guns in her home before she'd had that face-to-face meeting...if they hadn't then she wouldn't be have been in compliance with the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What scary traits?
Owning a maga hat

Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Roommates Disagree: News at 11
LOL! I am so glad my 'college roommate' days are long OVER. I was never mean to live with 30 (sorority house) or even 6 other people (apartment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
She has PTSD... and a gun. (link below)

Apparently there are more than 2 roommates but just two confronted her.

Leyla Pirnie moved in two months ago and may be a new roommate as the others seem to have bonded.
As its one versus many, the landlord would rather find one new renter than many.

Read the letter from the landlord:
https://freebeacon.com/wp-content/up...8/11/pic-5.jpg
College girl living with 6 other roommates and has PTSD. WHAT could possibly go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
She is traveling to another state she should at least know the laws, after all she is attending Harvard so I don't think that ignorance is an option. Anyway I didn't see that she was being charged with a crime.
Aside from regulations leaving a gun unsecured in an apartment with multiple room mates and visitors is careless. Part of the gun culture in our country, irresponsible owners that treat guns like a toy.
Exactly.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 AM

23,597 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
This has nothing to do with Harvard. Off campus housing rented by a private homeowner. I do agree she should have told her roommates she owned a gun up front so they could make the choice to live elsewhere. Yes, they were wrong to search her room, but she started that chain of events for being dishonest with them.

My daughter once rented a house with three other roommates, one of whom owned a gun. He told them that he did before moving in. They only agree if he held to their household rules. His gun was to be kept in a locked box in his bedroom and never anywhere else in their common areas. When he was at work or away, his bedroom door also had to locked.

Unreasonable? BTW, I've lived with my gun owning husband for 44 years. MY household rules are that his guns are always to be kept locked up; when we had young children at home, and now that they are grown up and gone.

Win/win situation. He keeps his guns but I don't have to be around them or see them on the coffee table or in nightstand.
How was she dishonest? Had they previously asked her if she'd had guns and she'd lied about it?

That doesn't seem to be the case. It also doesn't seem that being a gun free apartment was on the lease or in any roommate agreement, if it had been on those documents then it would have been mentioned in the news stores, no doubt.

Her roommates were the dishonest ones, for illegally entering her room (her room is legally her property) and illegally searching through her things .. they even seemed to have illegally broken into a locked storage container to find the guns...since per the police chief she did have them locked away.

She should sue, she'd probably win.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:31 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
The police chief found that the guns were "safely and legally stored under lock and key".
The guns were "safely and legally stored under lock and key" when the police inspected but obviously not when the roommates found them. Leyla argues that they are useless for defense if under lock and key ,and the roommates say that they are fine with the guns if they are under lock and key.

Quote:
She should sue, she'd probably win.
Suing means collecting monetary damages. Her legal recourse would be that that the landlord or tenants breached the lease agreement. I don't know what is in her lease agreement.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:32 AM

16,602 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Better to go their separate ways and all find more compatible house mates. It wasn't just the gun, but also the MAGA hat and all that that implies.
Who's name was on the lease?
Classic

So a roommate should be discriminated against because of what I bolded?

Who you feel the same way if the woman had a "I with Her" hat, or had such a bumper sticker "and all that implies"?

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies