Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Missed the part about how they are used for eye disease and HIV research eh? Not surprised.
Nope. I just think it's morally wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:35 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I agree, but what serious medical conditions have been helped from the result of fetal tissue research?
That's a weird and dishonest question. No medical conditions have been helped from research... until they are. That's the entire purpose of research. Cures and treatments take time to develop.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Why should governments do the burial?

I don't really see combining fetuses with mouse genes, as bettering mankind.
Just because you don't understand how any of this works does not mean there isn't a real goal in mind. Millions of people are suffering and dying from diseases that are very much potentially curable, but you're okay with that because of the questionable status of some tissue that will simply be discarded otherwise? If you're trying to be moral here, you're failing miserably.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Nope. I just think it's morally wrong.
So is allowing people to suffer and die because of some vague moral objection to something you don't understand.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Just because you don't understand how any of this works does not mean there isn't a real goal in mind. Millions of people are suffering and dying from diseases that are very much potentially curable, but you're okay with that because of the questionable status of some tissue that will simply be discarded otherwise? If you're trying to be moral here, you're failing miserably.
I do broadly understand how it works, but I just reject the idea that a potential life is just some tissue.

Morality is relative, so saying I fail miserably, has little meaning overall.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So is allowing people to suffer and die because of some vague moral objection to something you don't understand.
That's your opinion, but can't be shown to be objective.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
https://www.kff.org/news-summary/tru...v-experiments/

This move disrupts two labs. One for research on eye diseases, one for HIV infection research.

Why the sudden sneaky ban on a particular research tool rather than just cutting down overall NIH funding in that area?

Is there something else they want to use fetal tissue for...?
I am not against research...and also not against research using fetal tissue

but I do think it is a very lousy phrase... "acquisition of fetal tissue"...being from a logistics background.. make it sound like someone is ordering a tent

Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I do broadly understand how it works, but I just reject the idea that a potential life is just some tissue.

Morality is relative, so saying I fail miserably, has little meaning overall.
But we're not talking about life, we're talking about tissue that will never be a life. In that context, it's no different than using sperm or an egg, or stem cells. And isn't there a wee bit of a contradiction in projecting your morality on the sanctity of life while not considering all those who will suffer and/or die because you don't think research into those diseases is important?

Old 12-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
That's your opinion, but can't be shown to be objective.
It's an objective fact that tens of millions of people around the world suffer and die from the medical issues and diseases that such research is meant to find solutions for.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:44 AM

38,646 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
It can aid scientists in finding cures. What's the purpose of just discarding the fetal tissue in the rubbish bin?

I thought we were done buying and selling people.

Yeah, yeah, I know the Court declared fetuses non-persons back in 1973...

I thought we might be done with that kinda nazi **** too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies