Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 09:51 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Great post! Nicely stated but the lefty liberals in here will just ignore those facts anyway.

You don't pay attention. Liberals weren't supporting that. Most Democrats in power are pro big business centrists, not liberal. Obama and Clinton were often very criticized and protested by liberals for their policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 09:51 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, there is and I explained it. Sorry, that you don't like the explanations which are the truth. He
hasn't broken his promise and I also explained why. Reading comprehension or denial on your part?
Trump begged, literally BEGGED the president of Mexico not to say they won't pay for the wall. He didn't want you to hear that.

Trump fail. No Mexican money and no wall.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:54 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
You ask if people in most areas of the country care about a wall. In my opinion, most Americans probably don't give it that much thought or haven't in the past but that has changed since Trump put an emphasis on the immigration issue and illegal immigration in particular. He's pushed the issue out front and contrary to popular belief amongst the leftist, globalist, establishment, elites (including establishment Republicans btw), numerous polls show that the vast majority of the country supports aggressive anti-illegal immigration enforcement but they also support limited/reduced legal immigration that is merit based as opposed to any and all being welcomed here. Anywhere from 61% to 78% of the country depending on the particular immigration question being asked supported strong anti-illegal immigration enforcement or limited merit based legal immigration.

I think it's fair to say that a percentage of the supporters of the president's stance on immigration (both illegal and legal immigration) disagree that a wall will be effective or worth the cost the cost to the taxpayer. Others may question the best way to secure our southern border but countless polls show that the overwhelming majority of Republican and Independent voters support the president's overall ideas about legal and illegal immigration. It's only a the Democratic party and those on the left who feel the opposite....ironically so considering many Democratic Senators and House Members sounded a lot like Trump only 5 to 10 years ago. The complete 180 they've done since has coincided with the incredibly massive and scary shift of the Democratic party to the far far left. Having said that, to be totally fair to Democrats, illegal immigration is still a bi-partisan problem and many establishment Republicans are equally guilty of supporting illegal immigration due to the very cheap labor costs it affords them.

Personally, I initially thought the idea of building a wall was impracticable and unrealistic but the more I researched the economic and national security implications of an open border it I now support the building of the wall. Considering the fact that illegal immigration costs the American taxpayer approximately $150 billion and growing a year, a $30 or even $40 billion one time allocation to build a wall makes a lot of sense. Add an ill requiring employers to e-verify employees and beef up border security personnel and end sanctuary city policies and you put a big debt in that $150 billion dollar an year cost
You had me going there for a minute. I was going to take the time to see whether your polling numbers had any basis. You seemed to be reasonable at first blush and I took this post seriously and thought to myself that maybe there was a poll out there showing that most people did support the president's stance on immigration. That was my mistake. I should have known better.

Anyone who claims that "illegal immigration costs the American taxpayer approximately $150 billion" is not to be taken seriously. So when I got to that part of your post, I knew I could discard the rest of it as rubbish.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I mean, the issue is not really up for debate anymore. Trump ran his campaign on building the Wall, and that is why he got elected.

So, why are Democrats trying to oppose Trump on this?
I will tell you why. It's because they oppose him on everything. People think it's because they don't like him. It's not because they don't like him. It's because he is effective and he is turning the swamp that is DC up on it' ear. The paid off elites won't get paid anymore. And I am not talking exclusively about Democrats.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 AM

352 posts, read 518,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I will tell you why. It's because they oppose him on everything. People think it's because they don't like him. It's not because they don't like him. It's because he is effective and he is turning the swamp that is DC up on it' ear. The paid off elites won't get paid anymore. And I am not talking exclusively about Democrats.

I think you should stop watching fox news......

I'm curious as to how he's effective, and I'm also curious as to how he's "draining the swamp".

Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
You ask if people in most areas of the country care about a wall. In my opinion, most Americans probably don't give it that much thought or haven't in the past but that has changed since Trump put an emphasis on the immigration issue and illegal immigration in particular. He's pushed the issue out front and contrary to popular belief amongst the leftist, globalist, establishment, elites (including establishment Republicans btw), numerous polls show that the vast majority of the country supports aggressive anti-illegal immigration enforcement but they also support limited/reduced legal immigration that is merit based as opposed to any and all being welcomed here. Anywhere from 61% to 78% of the country depending on the particular immigration question being asked supported strong anti-illegal immigration enforcement or limited merit based legal immigration.

I think it's fair to say that a percentage of the supporters of the president's stance on immigration (both illegal and legal immigration) disagree that a wall will be effective or worth the cost the cost to the taxpayer. Others may question the best way to secure our southern border but countless polls show that the overwhelming majority of Republican and Independent voters support the president's overall ideas about legal and illegal immigration. It's only a the Democratic party and those on the left who feel the opposite....ironically so considering many Democratic Senators and House Members sounded a lot like Trump only 5 to 10 years ago. The complete 180 they've done since has coincided with the incredibly massive and scary shift of the Democratic party to the far far left. Having said that, to be totally fair to Democrats, illegal immigration is still a bi-partisan problem and many establishment Republicans are equally guilty of supporting illegal immigration due to the very cheap labor costs it affords them.

Personally, I initially thought the idea of building a wall was impracticable and unrealistic but the more I researched the economic and national security implications of an open border it I now support the building of the wall. Considering the fact that illegal immigration costs the American taxpayer approximately $150 billion and growing a year, a $30 or even $40 billion one time allocation to build a wall makes a lot of sense. Add an ill requiring employers to e-verify employees and beef up border security personnel and end sanctuary city policies and you put a big debt in that $150 billion dollar an year cost
Another supporter of the fantasy billions to pay for a fantasy wall.

Let's do it. Get good photo shop guy and we can have pictures of the fantasy wall by the end of the year.

And it won't cost a real dime.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:44 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Do Republicans understand that Democrats didn't vote for Trump and don't give a hoot what he wants?

Besides, he ran on the claim that Mexico was going to pay for the wall, not the US taxpayers

Old 12-14-2018, 10:47 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
According to Trump, the wall is already being built. His words.

So what is the uproar about with Trump supporters?

Trump said it's already happening.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:53 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Where a wall exists, it works. Everyone can see that. But Democrats say they don't want a wall because it won't work.
When did they discover that? They used to think building a wall was a good idea.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:58 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Where a wall exists, it works. Everyone can see that. But Democrats say they don't want a wall because it won't work.
When did they discover that? They used to think building a wall was a good idea.
Of course the wall will not work. It addresses only a third of the incoming illegals. So it can't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies