Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you opposed to getting a flu shot?
Yes 94 38.06%
No 153 61.94%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 07:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's essentially what I said, though. They attempt to protect against strains that are already out there, meaning that if the virus mutates again within the same year or after a vaccine is created, there's not much they can do about it until the next round of vaccines. A lot of people seem to believe that the vaccine is good for all flu strains, and I think that misinformation is partly why there is such distrust with it. People who take vaccines can and do still get the flu, but they don't realize that they didn't take a vaccine for that particular strain, so they just assume the vaccine's a scam. And that's how conspiracy theories get started.
Actually, no reliable source says anything of the kind. Most people are simply looking for an excuse not to get it. Here is a typical media piece for lay people:

https://www.solvhealth.com/blog/flu-shot-guide
"Each year, the World Health Organization (WHO) conducts research on which influenza viruses are most likely to spread, which are making people ill, and how effective the previous year’s vaccines were at protecting against those viruses. The WHO then gives their findings to the Federal Drug Administration (FDA), who makes the final call on which flu vaccine viruses will be included in the upcoming season’s flu shots."

Speaking of conspiracies: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...erous-vaccine/
"Health Impact News" is a source used by many pro-disease posters.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-20-2018 at 08:36 PM..

Old 12-20-2018, 07:33 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I’ve been forced to receive it at my workplace for almost 10 years now with no adverse reactions. Only had the flu once in that time.

Forced? What, do they strap you down on a gurney, kicking and screaming, while Nurse Ratchet plunges a needle into your arm?

Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Glad to hear you "know" or "don't know" things that even George Washington accepted as fact (he immunized his troops for smallpox)...
Fallacy: appeal to authority.

Quote:
You probably "feel it in your bones" that a Flu shot is bad.
You probably "feel it in your bones" that you know how to talk about science.

Quote:
Look around....this mysterious polio-like disease killing children, flu killing many.
Not even remotely a scientific statement.

Quote:
80,000 flu deaths last year.
"Last year, 80 percent of pediatric deaths occurred in children who were unvaccinated, according to the CDC."
Learn how to critique science before you attempt to post it. If you don't know how to control for the glaring variables in your statement, then you shouldn't be posting it.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Over 40 percent of Americans say no to flu vaccinations

So, over 40% of Americans refuse to get a flu shot.

I am one of those 40%. Why? Who knows what is in that shot? Also, it appears that it is just a mildly educated wild guess about what the next flu strain might be and that they usually gets it wrong.

No doubt this is a big winner for pharmaceutical companies, just like erectile dysfunction pills, opiods for the masses and statins (supposedly for high cholesterol). But that does not inspire me at all.
Never ever had a flu shot and have never ever had the flu, in 55 years
I use to fake a cold now and then to get out of school, but being bored all day I learned that wasn't fun.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
That's essentially what I said, though. They attempt to protect against strains that are already out there, meaning that if the virus mutates again within the same year or after a vaccine is created, there's not much they can do about it until the next round of vaccines. A lot of people seem to believe that the vaccine is good for all flu strains, and I think that misinformation is partly why there is such distrust with it. People who take vaccines can and do still get the flu, but they don't realize that they didn't take a vaccine for that particular strain, so they just assume the vaccine's a scam. And that's how conspiracy theories get started.
It's not a conspiracy to say that the flu shot is ineffective.

If you want to talk about WHY it is ineffective, well, that's another story.

Anyone who says, "I don't want it because it really doesn't work" is correct. Efficacy of the shot is garbage.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Forced? What, do they strap you down on a gurney, kicking and screaming, while Nurse Ratchet plunges a needle into your arm?
Forced as in get it or you're fired.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, no reliable source says anything of the kind. Most people are simply looking for an excuse not to get it. Here is a typical media piece for lay people:

https://www.solvhealth.com/blog/flu-shot-guide
"Each year, the World Health Organization (WHO) conducts research on which influenza viruses are most likely to spread, which are making people ill, and how effective the previous year’s vaccines were at protecting against those viruses. The WHO then gives their findings to the Federal Drug Administration (FDA), who makes the final call on which flu vaccine viruses will be included in the upcoming season’s flu shots."

Speaking of conspiracies: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...erous-vaccine/
"Health Impact News" is a source used by many pro-disease posters.
Do you think the shot should be mandatory? Yes or no?

Why are you so invested in whether or not people get the shot?

Old 12-21-2018, 04:19 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
WWI

More US troops died of the flu in WWI then died in battle.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:19 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Never ever had a flu shot and have never ever had the flu, in 55 years
I use to fake a cold now and then to get out of school, but being bored all day I learned that wasn't fun.
Me too.

I also don't believe in vaxing for chicken pox, I think healthy kids should be exposed to their friends when they get chicken pox and let the illness run its course.

It's different for people with compromised immune systems, though. They should strongly consider getting vaxed.

Many of the kids who were vaccinated for chicken pox back 20 years ago are now getting chicken pox, because the vaccine wears off, which they of course couldn't predict.

Not my kids. They won't have chicken pox again.

I do believe in vaxing for small pox, measles, rubella and rubeola, and polio.

Not for the small stuff most people's immune systems can handle.

Last edited by ClaraC; 12-21-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 12-21-2018, 07:28 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,731,740 times
Quote:
Contrary to many accusations on this thread and others, I am not getting paid to post the pro-vaccine POV. So, I do not have all day to surf the web to refute all of your and Hammond's points. I would suggest you read Hammond's primary sources instead of his interpretation of them. You might be surprised. Much of the Cochrane stuff is complaints about how studies were set up and the like, not complaints about the science.
Quote:
You are doing exactly what the "pro-disease" (since apparently some of the vaccine abstainers don't like to be called 'anti' anything) people do, raise FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt).
I don't know why you so tenaciously misrepresent my remarks (I'm wondering if sometimes you might be confusing me with someone else?) but what I've said is clear so I'm not going to rehash stuff. What I would like to do is highlight what you said above: "I would suggest you read Hammond's primary sources instead of his interpretation of them." This is an excellent idea. It is exactly the sort of thing I've been insisting that I personally need to do, and it is exactly what I have not yet had time to do. But until I do, all I'm saying is that I'm not going to simply assume that Hammond is full of BS.

Personally, I get a flu shot every year and I encourage most people to do so. But in a discussion that involves specific claims made by specific people, I'm not going to pretend that I personally know that all of Hammond's claims are pure BS. If I don't know something, then I will say that I don't know. I had hoped that other credible people might have already specifically refuted Hammond's specific claims. If so, their work might save me some time. (Not to say I'd trust them 100% either, but their preliminary work could still save me lots of time.) But so far it seems that the burden falls on me to personally do some searching and plow through Hammond's primary sources. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen anytime soon.

I think it is important to note, however, that Hammond, Mahar, etc., are a likely to be a significant source of the continuing anti-vax sentiment. Average folks who are curious about the controversy will stumble upon this sort of stuff and, skimming over the surface, it looks impressive. If Hammond had not listed primary sources, I would have more likely just blown it off. But I was impressed that he did list primary sources (an art form that is becoming disturbingly rare in modern internet discourse), so until I know more about his primary sources, I have to withhold judgment on his interpretation of those sources. I don't feel comfortable just automatically saying he has to be wrong (or right).

You may not like it, but I think that my skepticism of contemporary medical and pharmaceutical industries is a logical and healthy sort of skepticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies