Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 09:21 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Most National parks will close unless the state they are in want to fund them. I understand Arizona will be keeping the Grand Canyon open.

All the subcontractors will not be paid at all. Typical because Trump has a history of screwing his subs. So now he is screwing the Federal Govt subs.

But unlike Obama, the gates won't be locked. Just the facilities and no amenities. And there damn sure isn't going to be a fence around the national mall in DC, to keep people out.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:22 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You do know that the border patrol agents would be working without pay, right?

So much for border security...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/21/u...-shutdown.html
All you need is one person to accept a bribe during this thing because they need food or a mortgage payment or many other items which only a paycheck can take care of.

It will then be Trump tweeting away about corruption he caused with the Trump Shut down.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
15 hours in, we are all here, just like any other day, safe and sound.

Nothing will change that, either.

Now we are saving , as we are not paying 420,000 employees today, laid off, whom their employer admits are not essential.
I am informed that the longest shutdown in history was during the Clinton years. Lasted 32 days, and I don't even remember it.
Yeah. It's a big yawn; just something for people to get all hysterical about. Most people don't care although during one of the shutdowns the park service showed their ass by making it as tough on the public as they could. They even went around closing off view points where there were no services and no personnel.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:35 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I am informed that the longest shutdown in history was during the Clinton years. Lasted 32 days, and I don't even remember it.
Yeah. It's a big yawn; just something for people to get all hysterical about. Most people don't care although during one of the shutdowns the park service showed their ass by making it as tough on the public as they could. They even went around closing off view points where there were no services and no personnel.
People like you don’t care because it doesn’t affect you. It’s a yawn for you when people have to work and not get paid. Many are the middle class.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
People like you don’t care because it doesn’t affect you. It’s a yawn for you when people have to work and not get paid. Many are the middle class.
Yeah. I pity those that don't have someone in their circle who are a government worker. My mother was as I've said several times. She was non-essential despite inspecting items going over to our troops that are essential to protecting them. Bulletproof vests, she checked those. Radar systems, she checked them too. She was hourly and was furloughed several times. I don't recall her being off during that 32 day shutdown though...

Old 12-22-2018, 10:56 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Its a huge yawn to most Americans. It doesn't impact them directly, so they don't care. That sounds cold and uncaring, but its reality...life goes on. Especially right before Christmas when American's are distracted.

I hope it goes on for a long time because it will show American's how well they can get by w/o non-essential federal workers, and maybe they'll start asking themselves "why dont we just let them all go?" Since they are non-essential, just in-source them all by giving their jobs to homeless vets at a living wage, and voila! We save millions, reduce homelessness, and give our unemployed vets a hand-up.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:13 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Its a huge yawn to most Americans. It doesn't impact them directly, so they don't care. That sounds cold and uncaring, but its reality...life goes on. Especially right before Christmas when American's are distracted.

I hope it goes on for a long time because it will show American's how well they can get by w/o non-essential federal workers, and maybe they'll start asking themselves "why dont we just let them all go?" Since they are non-essential, just in-source them all by giving their jobs to homeless vets at a living wage, and voila! We save millions, reduce homelessness, and give our unemployed vets a hand-up.
So if it goes on for a long time, as you wish, how would you handle the 42,000 members of the US Coast Guard, who would be working without pay? But then again, I guess it doesn't impact you directly, so it is of no matter to you. Maybe they could just shut down search and rescue, drug interdiction, port security, etc until they get paid or go find other jobs? Oh yeah, they also provide security for Trump when he visits Mar-a-Lago.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:22 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
Went up to 14,193 since I made the post yesterday. Amazing where our priorities are.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:26 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Went up to 14,193 since I made the post yesterday. Amazing where our priorities are.
Consider how mean and violent Americans are, a lot of citizens would not feel secure without at least one gun.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:32 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,849 times
....aaaaannnnd that's where our priorities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies