Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 09:15 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I didn’t vote for Trump. I can’t answer that question. I have however seen plenty of Trump supporters, both here and in ‘real life’, state their support for Everify. Your claim that Trump supporters universally disapprove of Everify is simply untrue.

An equally important question to ask is “why aren’t Democrats insisting on Everify?” If Everify is such a perfect solution, why are California and New York two of the states not using it now?
An even bigger question to ask is "why aren't republicans insisting on Everify?"

Agriculture lobbyists are once again standing in the way of E-Verify

https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/west...-e-verify-bill

Old 12-26-2018, 09:16 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

and on a smaller scale, the walls of a prison has never stopped criminals either

most of the "illegals" in the US came here legally at first, a wall doesn't stop legal travel
Two massive cow patties here, folks. Of course wall or fences stop inmates from leaving. It's a non-brainer.

Only a small sliver came legally and overstayed, and those that have were admitted legally and screened in the processed. OMG!

Old 12-26-2018, 09:18 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,704,148 times
I am not a liberal and I don't think the wall is stupid but I think it's the wrong solution to the problem.

If you look at the numbers provided by Homeland Security, the number of people illegally crossing the boarder is down and the number who overstay their visa is going up. That's the problem that needs to be solved. What's going on at the boarder now is working as less and less people are coming though. That's good for now, focus on other things such as this visa issue. Once the visa issue is addressed then maybe look at the southern boarder again. Another issue is there are less boarder patrol agents. The number peaked in 2011 and is down ever since. Nothing beats boots on the ground when it comes to security. Hire more people first, before building a wall.

Maybe the combination of better enforcement and hiring more people will negate the cost of even needing a wall. Try the lower cost options first.

If you want to liken it to a boat with holes, then the boat has a huge, one-foot diameter hole in and a lot of pin holes. Focusing resources on the boarder wall first is like fixing the pinholes first, while ignoring the bigger hole. Fix that big hole (overstay visas) first and you cut illegal immigration by nearly 40%. Then focus on all the pin hole leaks.

I often here the argument that we have to build a wall before the Democrats take power (the idea being that they can't tear down a wall I suppose). Two things. 1) A wall can be torn down or simply neglected so it's useless and 2) If Republicans get this right and really address the problem in a logical and cost-effective way instead of doing political grandstanding (AKA this whole wall issue), then they won't have to worry about losing power in the first place.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:19 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
I've read through 145 posts where people keep on comparing to Israel on how well their border wall works. Let's set the record straight that what Israel uses is 8' to 12' high chain link type fences and a small percentage of barrier walls made out of concrete. The fences are merely a deterrent. What Israel uses is high tech electronic equipment to protect it's borders with other countries. Building a wall in the US without the high tech electronic equipment to go along with it makes the walls utter useless.And fwiw CCTV is not high tech electronic equipment in any stretch of the imagination.

It's actually Egypt who built a concrete wall with exposed tall steel girders along it's border with the Gaza Strip. It was built so badly that Gazans were easily able to topple many parts of it.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:19 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
An even bigger question to ask is "why aren't republicans insisting on Everify?"

Agriculture lobbyists are once again standing in the way of E-Verify

https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/west...-e-verify-bill
We covered this a page or two ago. GOP wants cheap labor, Dems want new voters. Both parties are responsible for the Everify boondoggle.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:20 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I am not a liberal and I don't think the wall is stupid but I think it's the wrong solution to the problem.
Nobody, but nobody claimed it is the "solution". Rather, it is an important element in the mix towards a solution.

Nothing like a strawman!!!!!

Old 12-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're right as I stated in my above post. Here's a link for those who think Republicans don't want e-verify. It's the Democrats that don't want it (unless it's attached to an amnesty, of course).

https://amac.us/dems-block-gop-bills...al-immigrants/
2014 link

Let me fix that for you with a more current bill from the GOP majority dated JUNE 26, 2018 .

Quote:
An effort to mandate that every employer use a system to check that their employees are working in the country legally was rejected by House leaders Tuesday — a strong signal that those pushing immigration reform do not believe it has enough support to be passed as part of a comprehensive immigration bill.

The failure of the e-verify plan — which was eagerly sought by conservatives wary of the bill — means the House will instead vote on a plan that still includes a path to citizenship for 1.8 million Dreamers, people brought to the country illegally as children.
House immigration bill will not include mandate on checking employees' legal status

Old 12-26-2018, 09:23 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
you can't really compare unlawful presence (visa overstay) to improper entry (border jumper)

improper entry is a crime whereas unlawful presence is a civil matter.

in addition, visa over stayers have been vetted by the US Consulate in their respective country, their biometrics are collected, and they have been inspected (for customs and immigration) by CBP once they arrive a POE.

there is zero vetting and inspection for border jumper.
Boy, you have no idea of border/POE operations.

I enter the USA numerous times a year, by car and by air. I have never had my biometrics collected... ever. I've been inspected once by air, never by car, even when it is plum full of household stuff I bring to my condo in Florida.

It is only in the past 3 years or so that the USA even knows if I overstayed my presumed visa (entry from Canada gives me a presumed, not physical, visa). It was then that the two nations introduced and completed an electronic information exchange, whereby the moment I enter the USA, Canada knows I have left, and vice versa. As such, any Canadian would be crazy to overstay, something that used to happen with some frequency in the past as there was no way the USA could know.

When I drive through one of the 3 border crossings on my trip south, the border agent already knows my pattern, as my passport gets scanned. One of these days, I expect to have a 2 hour delay as my car is thoroughly searched, but I suspect I don't fit a profile that anyone is concerned about. However, random searches may occur at any time, and I am aware of that.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:23 AM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
A wall at the southern border is stupid for so many reasons. There are tunnels, planes, so many way people can cross "our," borders.

My main reason I think the wall is stupid, in the form trump wants, is a huge waste of money. Our infrastructure is needing attention, now. Diseases like cancer and dementia could use money for research.

The wall does just seem to be a monument to a dysfunctional president. He reminds me of Humpty dumpty that had a great wall and had a great fall.....................trump's hate and vulgar ways, may have finally all caught up with him. JMO

I refer you to my numerous posts and others in here who have debunked every lame excuse and lie you are making. You're just another clueless one that just won't admit that walls are a huge deterrant. No one is claiming that they are 100% effective but 80% isn't good enough? I see this is all about your hatred of Trump and nothing else. You and yours would sacrifice the safety and security of our border and its citizens over your blatant hatred of our president. Shame on the lot of you!

Old 12-26-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Walls don't have to be concrete barriers. They just have to be tall enough and deep enough to deter illegal entry.

I like the steel slat type of wall that Trump is proposing that is very high, is see through with sharp pointed tips on top. The Border Patrol want to see who is approaching from the other side.
"Mexico will pay for the wall 100%." ~ trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J9y6s_ukBQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies