Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2019, 06:37 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
sorry pal, making the honor roll much of the time doesn't result in a scholarship. Academic scholarships go to those with consistently excellent grades.
And, usually, very high SAT/ACT scores. Both of my kids were National Merit Scholars. Now, granted, that's a paltry one-time award of $2,500. Nevertheless, that distinction earned them significant 4-year merit scholarships from the universities they attended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 07:06 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
sorry pal, making the honor roll much of the time doesn't result in a scholarship. Academic scholarships go to those with consistently excellent grades.
Agree. No offense to the poster you were responding to but making the honor roll, while good, doesn't put one into the upper echelon of students that are going to get the academic scholarships. Some combination of all A's, taking Honors & AP courses, and high board scores will.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:22 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You call it free ice cream and I call it lack of education and health resources.

What would fix it better?

1. Cut off most government support and have people fend for themselves.
or
2. Institute universal health care (preventative) and vast better educational opportunities.

I say #2. That is a major point of disagreement with Right Wing Policies.
Paid for by who? This taxpayer is sick and tired of having their money taken by force to fund people that CHOOSE to stay poor. Life is about fending for yourself. Not about taking my property because you didn't take advantage of the huge opportunity available to everyone in this country.

This lack of education is a bunch of crap. We throw more money at education than most other countries in the world, yet our kids still can't read or do simple math.

And explain to me how a lack of health resources keeps people poor? Unless you're counting a lack of government-paid-for birth control. Because having children at a young age, without 2 parents active in the child's life, is a HUGE reason that people stay poor. Again, choices.

We've tried handing the poor gobs of taxpayer money for YEARS, with no results. Maybe we should try #1 for awhile.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
How much does an abortion cost? $3000?

A birth costs around $10,000 (at the VERY least). Plus that much per year in welfare for 18 years. So around $190,000 spent per poor person born. And that's assuming they immediately get off the system for good at age 18.

As a taxpayer, I'd much rather not pay an extra $187,000 just because I want to be a giant hardass about subsidizing abortions.
And no birth costs zero.

You might rather pay for someone to take the risk of getting pregnant when there are reliable options out there. Not me.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:26 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Paid for by who? This taxpayer is sick and tired of having their money taken by force to fund people that CHOOSE to stay poor. Life is about fending for yourself. Not about taking my property because you didn't take advantage of the huge opportunity available to everyone in this country.

This lack of education is a bunch of crap. We throw more money at education than most other countries in the world, yet our kids still can't read or do simple math.

And explain to me how a lack of health resources keeps people poor? Unless you're counting a lack of government-paid-for birth control. Because having children at a young age, without 2 parents active in the child's life, is a HUGE reason that people stay poor. Again, choices.

We've tried handing the poor gobs of taxpayer money for YEARS, with no results. Maybe we should try #1 for awhile.
I agree.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
First, it's not forcing. And second, the vast majority of the population goes through public schools. So just stop
It is most certainly being forced. What do you think would happen if I decided to not pay taxes, because I disagree with how the money is being spent?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
So what this guy is saying is that 95% of poor people choose to be poor which is just about the silliest things I've ever read.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:33 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It is most certainly being forced. What do you think would happen if I decided to not pay taxes, because I disagree with how the money is being spent?
You would be a tax dodger, which is NOT a righteous position, even though you seem to think it is....

Old 01-06-2019, 08:35 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
The real question is whether it is problematic for America to have such a large percentage of its population that is either low IQ or under-achieving.

This situation may not be sustainable for this country in the long term.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The real question is whether it is problematic for America to have such a large percentage of its population that is either low IQ or under-achieving.

This situation may not be sustainable for this country in the long term.
It's not unique to the US. Wealth is distributed close to a hockey stick on its side in almost every country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies