Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 04:54 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I'm not on the border and, frankly, don't have strong personal reactions to fencing. No way do I want floods of people coming across. The San Diego fencing was among the earliest (predating the 2006 Act) and without a doubt that is both effective and needed. The same may well be true for El Paso.

Well and good, although it strikes me he's a bit late. For him to finally pay attention, we need to have this stand-off with the Democrats and shut down the government? This appears to be a major issue, and one of the reasons why some of the fencing that was built after 2006 was so ineffective. You got fences that start and stop without reason, with the lawsuits ongoing from a decade ago.

A concrete barrier for the entire 2,000 miles. Are we back to THAT? Beyond the fact that many Americans who live on the border are adamantly opposed ... that strikes me as a bloody awful idea. You must have seen aerial photos.

Portions of the border are open country ... seemingly empty, dotted only with cacti. Other sections are drop-dead gorgeous, with the national park etc. There is the private land. The border down the center of the Rio Grande, yes? Are we to "give" the water to Mexico with a wall on the US side? No idea.

Trying to wall it all would be a bit of tragedy - maybe not for you, maybe not for me but certainly for those who live on and use the border. Placing some walls without careful planning would funnel traffic to unwalled segments.

Where illegal immigration is a problem - deal with it, but deal with it effectively. One of the tools can be fencing (certainly). It may well be that only a "minimal" amount of double-walled fencing is required for any upgraded border security plan.

Frankly, I'd planned to listen to Trump's address to the nation the other night wondering if he would present a plan with references to detailed analysis - to address various concerns. I lost track of time to realize that it was 9:20 and I'd missed him. So I guess whatever he said was not THAT. (On the contrary for I saw some blurb that he's all ticked off that his aides "made" him do the address.)

You misunderstood my post. Someone was claiming that our southern border is thousands of miles long and I was just correcting them. There is no plan to build a wall along the entire border it's only for the 700 miles on the most porous areas already approved by congress back in 2006 and that's all we need. The Border Patrol don't want a concrete barrier. They have told Trump that they want the sleet slat barriers that they can see through and Trump agreed with them.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:54 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Democrats are disgusting. They want to let 'em all in and they want taxpayers to support them. Finally, we have someone with the balls to stand up to them.
I do truly wonder what it will take to shock them into reality.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:59 PM

515 posts, read 558,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
how about a 1 mile "neutral zone" between the 2 countries--anyone steps 1 foot into it and they are punished..how about that?

Any more ideas since you all hate the wall?
There would be pieces of Javalina and deer everywhere! Obviously, you've never been to south Texas...

Old 01-10-2019, 05:00 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Just last month a young woman was killed by an illegal driving drunk in my area; he was released from the hospital and they can't find him. No big deal right?

I look at the crime blotter on my local news paper website. While it is impossible to determine immigration status by the name there seems to be an over representation of hispanic surnames when it comes to driving under the influence. Commit a crime just change your name.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:01 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
It's not just natural born Americans suffering. Legal immigrants come here, and are expected to compete with illegal laborers. It's no wonder so many legal immigrants end up on food stamps and other social welfare programs.

The benefactors of the influx of illegal immigrants seem to be certain businesses/industries and those who want ever growing government. The average American is expected to bear the cost of this influx without defending ourselves in any way. Trump is the first president who has really taken this fight seriously, and the left is seething with rage. Quite disgusting what politics has done to our country as a whole. As long as America remains divided, there will be little hope of us actually solving this problem.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Don't forget the rampant crime illegals commit against each other, knowing they can't go to the police.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:08 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I want the "wall", but mines are totally evil!

Dumb thread!
Not as dumb as it just plain sick and evil.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:08 PM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Why not both

Old 01-10-2019, 05:13 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
It might prevent some percentage of criminals from coming in. It wouldn’t deport any who are here and it wouldn’t prevent overstays on visas. A tiny percentage of the people coming in are murderers/rapists. So maybe it would prevent a handful of violent crimes. Maybe.

The vast majority of murders and rapes will be and always have been committed by American citizens. I know that doesn’t match the Fox News rhetoric, especially if those Americans happen to be white men, but it is what it is.

The same people who are salivating over a wall are not concerned about schoolchildren being murdered in their classrooms, especially if it means they might need to wait 72 hours for a gun while they have their background check and definitely if they have to sit through a boring gun safety class.

This is purely political theater. Trump owns the shutdown, though. They could carry on their dramatics with the government funded, but where’s the outrage in that? The House has asked to reopen while debating and the republicans said no. They own the problems that are arising.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:17 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Essentially

Why would I care what he says when all that matters is what he does, and I approve of everything he does?
Such as??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies