Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Crazy talk. Remember, once they cross they can ask for asylum. So if they don't stay out you've already lost.

We know. That's precisely why we need a wall to keep them on the other ise, not just enhanced technology to catch more of them on this side.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Do you? A few sticks of dynamite are easily carried in a backpack.

Okay. Lots of illegals trying to cross the border carrying sticks of dynamite said no one ever. Not even a single documented case of that.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:54 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Huh?

He literally said this?

"“When during the campaign, I would say 'Mexico is going to pay for it.' Obviously, I never said this and I never meant they are going to write out a check,” Trump said.

In one breath he says "during the campaign I would say..." and then says "obviously, I never said this..."

There is seriously something wrong with this man.
This is like never never land. That is exactly what Trump proposed (the image of some sort of personal check aside):

Trump's campaign outlined the steps in April 2016 in a formal memo:
Quote:
It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5- 10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year.
https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

And President Enrique Pena Nieto sure didn't think that Trump was just kidding around. Nieto formally addressed his nation in January 2017 after the election repeating once again that Mexico would never make that payment.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-la...que-pena-nieto

Perhaps Nieto should have instead simply tweeted "bye-bye" to Trump.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Don't forget drones are a thing. How long before drones powerful enough to lift a person over a 10 foot wall/fence/steel slats/bead curtain will be ubiquitous and inexpensive?

And what if they develop a transporter and start beaming themselves into America?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I suppose it does create jobs. They can swing by Home Depot and pick up some temporary employees.
If they are working on the Mexico side of the wall they will be automatically deported when it is finished.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:58 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Back to the drawing board.

. . . testing by DHS in late 2017 showed all eight prototypes, including the steel slats, were vulnerable to breaching, according to an internal February 2018 U.S. Customs and Border Protection report.

Photos of the breaches were not included in a redacted version of the CBP report, which was first obtained in a Freedom of Information Act Request by San Diego public radio station KPBS.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...-sawed-n956856

. . . results of the test after military and Border Patrol experts were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.
I don't know if I am in favor of building the wall but its purpose is not to be impenetrable but instead to deter a good number of people. Which a good wall will do.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Like the poster said. Most illegals crossings use coyotes. And coyotes can afford that and much more.
Another not reality based comment. The vast majority of coyotes operate on foot so they can move fast and hopefully undetected. Kinda hard to do if you've got to have a support vehicle to haul your crane, ladders, plasma cutters and generators. Why don't you folks ever talk to actual Border Patrol agents that work on the southern border? I've got friends and acquaintances that work in Yuma and El Paso for the Border Patrol. If it wasn't so darn hot I'd have taken a job there. Hot weather I don't do.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Huh?

He literally said this?

"“When during the campaign, I would say 'Mexico is going to pay for it.' Obviously, I never said this and I never meant they are going to write out a check,” Trump said.

In one breath he says "during the campaign I would say..." and then says "obviously, I never said this..."

There is seriously something wrong with this man.
There is seriously something wrong with your inability to see that Trump is not eloquent and often trips over his words and you have to look at the whole message not parse words and diagram sentences to know what he is saying. The immediately following words were "I said they're going to pay for it. They are"

This is a great example of how liberals characterize clumsy wording as "lies".

Old 01-10-2019, 11:14 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There is seriously something wrong with your inability to see that Trump is not eloquent and often trips over his words and you have to look at the whole message not parse words and diagram sentences to know what he is saying. The immediately following words were "I said they're going to pay for it. They are"

This is a great example of how liberals characterize clumsy wording as "lies".
I'm very fiscally conservative (something the current GOP IS NOT) and I can see a BS artist and a liar when I see one.

In fact I would say Trump supporters are starting to simply accept the fact that they will swallow and rhetoric and lie because it whips up their fervor, and we have history as our guide to support that theory.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
This is like never never land. That is exactly what Trump proposed (the image of some sort of personal check aside):

Trump's campaign outlined the steps in April 2016 in a formal memo:

https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/Pay_for_the_Wall.pdf

And President Enrique Pena Nieto sure didn't think that Trump was just kidding around. Nieto formally addressed his nation in January 2017 after the election repeating once again that Mexico would never make that payment.
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-la...que-pena-nieto

Perhaps Nieto should have instead simply tweeted "bye-bye" to Trump.
I know right? Another frekin' lie on top of lie on top of lie. Dangerous lies too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies