Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:17 PM

943 posts, read 1,198,778 times

Advertisements

Priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 03:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Likely going to find millions of undocumented workers in the shadows of tens of thousands of businesses and households. They are often times engaged by small businesses either as independent contractors or employees.

Most want to benefit off cheap labor and then turn around and blame the government for the consequences.

Even the handful of states that mandate eVerify, have intended loopholes to allow businesses to continue to employ undocumented people when they are contractors/day laborers. Sweet! Avoid Payroll taxes and labor laws and pay cash.

Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked in 2005/6. Has not mattered who sat the oval or held the majority, they all kicked the can. That was no accident. Way too many benefits from cheap labor.
Actually, illegal immigration became a tidal wave after NAFTA was enacted, in the early 90's, slowly ramping up over the 90's as the negative impacts took effect.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is used but it isn't really effective, that is the issue with it. I mean the work around is doing business under the table and cash only, but that is breaking the law.
That's what those who oppose eVerify often say. That's usually followed by how time-consuming it is.

I live in a self-managed HOA which hires seasonal lifeguards for the community pool. These are the teen and young adult children of owners. Regardless, they are put through the same paces as if they were hired off the street. Took me just a few minutes to establish an account and process boatload of applications. All were quickly verified.

According to the following information, a state mandate for eVerify had a negative effect on the presence of illegal immigrant workers than other related enforcement and is the surest way to reduce the population of illegal workers.

https://cis.org/Huennekens/Study-Sho...-Effectiveness

I have no issue with massive investment into eVerify- biometrics and a federal mandate that includes contract/temporary workers. Seize the assets of those who choose to not comply.

Give the masses plenty of notices and provide complimentary transportation back home for those wishing to self-deport. Provide them with $X to start a new life. Certainly more cost and time effective than using the courts/due process.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
That's what those who oppose eVerify often say. That's usually followed by how time-consuming it is.

I live in a self-managed HOA which hires seasonal lifeguards for the community pool. These are the teen and young adult children of owners. Regardless, they are put through the same paces as if they were hired off the street. Took me just a few minutes to establish an account and process boatload of applications. All were quickly verified.

According to the following information, a state mandate for eVerify had a negative effect on the presence of illegal immigrant workers than other related enforcement and is the surest way to reduce the population of illegal workers.

https://cis.org/Huennekens/Study-Sho...-Effectiveness

I have no issue with massive investment into eVerify- biometrics.

Give the masses plenty of notices and provide complimentary transportation back home for those wishing to self-deport. Provide them with $X to start a new life. Certainly more cost and time effective than using the courts/due process.
It isn't effective because employers know a work around if the employee don't. Buying an indentity I doubt would be in E-Verify effectiveness. I'm not saying E-Verify isn't effective, I'm just sayin'...

Old 01-05-2019, 03:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Actually, illegal immigration became a tidal wave after NAFTA was enacted, in the early 90's, slowly ramping up over the 90's as the negative impacts took effect.
It became a tidal wave in the 80's and picked up steam until it peaked in 2005/6 with the housing bubble.

In response, the Immigration Reform Control Act of 1986 made it illegal to employ undocumented workers. It also gave amnesty and a pathway to citizenship to those who had already resided in the US for at least 5 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...ol_Act_of_1986

Old 01-05-2019, 03:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
It became a tidal wave in the 80's and picked up steam until it peaked in 2005/6 with the housing bubble.

In response, the Immigration Reform Control Act of 1986 made it illegal to employ undocumented workers. It also gave amnesty and a pathway to citizenship to those who had already resided in the US for at least 5 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigr...ol_Act_of_1986
And to think, Saint Ronnie signed that into law. Nowadays no conservative wouI'd be caught dead supporting a plan that includes amnesty and a path to citizenship.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:04 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Any meaningful employer sanctions were stripped from Reagan's Amnesty bill right before it was passed by Congress.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
and no one is surprised. His lies are constant and normal and commonplace now too. the shocking thing would be if he told the truth.

The story has been completely debunked.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:43 PM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Nowadays no conservative wouI'd be caught dead supporting a plan that includes amnesty and a path to citizenship.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Trump trade some form of amnesty for the wall.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Texas, like most states. imposes no such " burden" on the private sector, which represents the vast majority of employers in the state.

I've acknowledged that but it is substantially more than what California is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies