Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 11:32 AM

22,070 posts, read 9,638,287 times

Advertisements

The thing that bothers me about all of this is the people who live in those neighborhoods (South side of Chicago) that truly DO want to work hard, have a family, maybe have a business and be safe. But night after night, we see the latest victim of the violence on the news. I don't go to the South side, so I could just as easily not care. Does noticing that most of the violent crime here is black on black make me a racist? I just for the life of me, cannot understand why you think Democrats are doing anything for you.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,305,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
My feeling is that whites tend to compare the situation of blacks in America....not to whites in America, but blacks in Africa. Many think we are "better off", notwithstanding racial oppression, discrimination, etc. As long as they feel that we have it better here than in Africa, they think we should not be complaining.
Frankly, I don’t give a damn what white folks think or who they compare us to in order to salve their own consciousness about how we got to our present situation in the first place.

No other race or ethnic group has a story in the United States that’s comparable to ours. In fact, African immigrants are just as foreign to our experience as Asians are. African Americans are NOT immigrants to this country, and no immigrant group regardless of race shares any aspect of our unique history in the Americas.

That’s just the way it is. I won’t wven bother to acknowledge the sentiment of whites on this topic if it’s any different from mine.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 AM

5,467 posts, read 5,741,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The most illustrative example are the immigrants from the Indochinese wars, from Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Because these were immigrants who were much more likely to be immigrants of absolute last-resort, and thus included a greater cross-section, these communities of ethnic Viet and Hmong in America are not “succeeding” by a long shot. They have massive gang and crime problems, huge rates of welfare receipts, massive rates of high school dropout, and so forth. Anyone who still believes in the model minority myth hasn’t spent much time in Californian cities: you can get cured right quick of the idea that there are no Asian gangsters, no Asian rappers, no triads and tongs.
Viet and Hmong cultures (south east Asian cultures in general) do not place great value in education.
My wife is half Chinese and half Viet, her Vietnamese side of the family are all losers (except one uncle) just as you said.
This is definitely cultural, as a lot of businesses in their own countries of origin are still run by the ethnic Chinese as well. Even ethnic Chinese themselves, by 2nd or 3rd generation they Americanize and lose respect and emphasis for education. This is especially evident in California.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:38 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,171,539 times
Quote:
My feeling is that whites tend to compare the situation of blacks in America....not to whites in America, but blacks in Africa. Many think we are "better off", notwithstanding racial oppression, discrimination, etc. As long as they feel that we have it better here than in Africa, they think we should not be complaining.
Which is interesting considering that if you try to use that same argument by mentioning how the quality of life is much higher in Europe than it is in the US (for everyone, but in this context, for whites), those same people will usually crow "WELL GUESS WHAT, WE'RE NOT EUROPE, GET OVER IT!!!"

Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 AM

13,560 posts, read 10,400,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Viet and Hmong cultures (south east Asian cultures in general) do not place great value in education.
My wife is half Chinese and half Viet, her Vietnamese side of the family are all losers (except one uncle) just as you said.
This is definitely cultural, as a lot of businesses in their own countries of origin are still run by the ethnic Chinese as well.
I'm not sure if it's safe to say that they don't "value" education; some people didn't get the opportunity to have one, for various reasons.

Actually, there were and a lot of Chinese people, until recently, who were illiterate or barely literate. My late MIL didn't finish grade school, and that's a function of poverty or opportunities. It's also said that a lot of Indians value education, too but India as a whole has a relatively low literacy rate, and it's uneven by state (Kerela is very high; Bihar is low); the ones here are weighted towards the well-educated and self-selected.

Also, remember that immigrant groups tend to be self-selecting in terms of migrating, or sometimes, they do that under duress. The "boat people" SE Asians came here under the gun, and they're going to be different in terms of the skills and the tools they have, than the really educated scholars from, say, China, or Korea who come here to attend U of Illinois or Michigan.

Not any different than a comparison of say, northern Europeans who were city folks vs the rural southern Italians who came to the USA in the 19th century - had different outcomes.

Last edited by silverkris; 01-09-2019 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 11:53 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,743,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Frankly, I don’t give a damn what white folks think or who they compare us to in order to salve their own consciousness about how we got to our present situation in the first place.

No other race or ethnic group has a story in the United States that’s comparable to ours. In fact, African immigrants are just as foreign to our experience as Asians are. African Americans are NOT immigrants to this country, and no immigrant group regardless of race shares any aspect of our unique history in the Americas.

That’s just the way it is. I won’t wven bother to acknowledge the sentiment of whites on this topic if it’s any different from mine.

I find value in what they think because it gives me ammunition to use against them. For example, I know that modern images of blacks living prosperous in parts of Africa......really gets to them. They need Africa to be a complete slit hole and for African Americans to believe it is a complete slit hole, to continue to be smug about the the oppression we faced in America. They believe that THEY are all we got. Its like an abusive mate who wants to convince the other that they can't do better than them. That despite the abuse, you can't do better because nobody else wants you. When you show pictures of Africa and Africans living well...and not naked in some mud hut......they can't stand it. They will not admit it, but understanding human psychology, you know they do. They will then try to say that the Africans has nothing to do with the modernity......its all the work of outsiders.....because they want us to believe we are inferior and incapable of such.

Like I said, I have been to Africa a few times.....Yes, there are some terrible conditions....but many are living better than we live over here. Two of good friends from Africa, who immigrated to America, have moved back to their countries in the last several years.....BY CHOICE. More still seek to come to America than leave America.....but their perceptions of America is utopian and many are disappointed after living here a while.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM

59,437 posts, read 27,599,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The unemployment rate for black Americans is the lowest it's ever been in recorded history.

I consider that some sort of progress.
Public schools were desegregated decades ago.

The Equal Rights Act was made into law DECADES ago.

Affirmative Action FORCED business to hire MORE blacks.

MORE blacks graduate from high school then did DECADES ago.

MORE black own their OWN business then DECIDES ago.

MORE blacks are graduating from college then DECADES ago.

MORE blacks are in the higher wage jobs then decades ago.

I could post a LOT more but, you get the picture.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:07 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,577,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

You have said you don't care what white people think or say many many times which leaves me to believe white people should be paying you rent for living in your head. It's all you talk about.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I find value in what they think because it gives me ammunition to use against them. For example, I know that modern images of blacks living prosperous in parts of Africa......really gets to them. They need Africa to be a complete slit hole and for African Americans to believe it is a complete slit hole, to continue to be smug about the the oppression we faced in America. They believe that THEY are all we got. Its like an abusive mate who wants to convince the other that they can't do better than them. That despite the abuse, you can't do better because nobody else wants you. When you show pictures of Africa and Africans living well...and not naked in some mud hut......they can't stand it. They will not admit it, but understanding human psychology, you know they do. They will then try to say that the Africans has nothing to do with the modernity......its all the work of outsiders.....because they want us to believe we are inferior and incapable of such.

Like I said, I have been to Africa a few times.....Yes, there are some terrible conditions....but many are living better than we live over here. Two of good friends from Africa, who immigrated to America, have moved back to their countries in the last several years.....BY CHOICE. More still seek to come to America than leave America.....but their perceptions of America is utopian and many are disappointed after living here a while.
I hope to go Nigeria and Ghana in 2021. I gotta go see my people on their continent. That’s been the dream for me for a long time.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
You have said you don't care what white people think or say many many times which leaves me to believe white people should be paying you rent for living in your head. It's all you talk about.
You’re here talking about black folks, which is all you ever talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies