Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,117,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
jackson and sharpon
When I watched Aretha Franklyn funeral. I was shocked to see sexual deviant Jessie Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, and America's first black President Bill Clinton, and hustler/swindler Al Sharpton. I don't blame the Obama's for not attending such function with all those dysfunctional leaders. Bill Clinton is responsible for locking you black men up, and helped you black women loose your homes a decade later with the mortgage crisis.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 PM

28,987 posts, read 30,394,132 times
[quote=desertdetroiter;54103067]LMAO!!

[quote=[b]cremebrulee[/b];54102209]

Who are you to give me advice as if you’re doing better than I am? LMAO...miss me with it. I’m telling the truth and I won’t ever quit telling it. If it hurts your feelings, then too bad.

As to slavery, I don’t even know what the hell you’re talking about. No one mentioned it except as part of history. It did actually happen, genius.

BTW...what “kitty” is running dry? You mean the one I pay in that you’re constantly withdrawing from? Get a job![/QUOT
See tight there you misunderstood due to your bias
I've worked all my life since I was 13 and you sir did nothing to contribute to my career or where I'm at now. And you took a well meaning post like a personal attack. I belong to a predominately black church with a black women minister and she talks about what I wrote here all the time. You don't seem to want to fix the problem you want to complain and blame it all on slavery.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:05 PM

5,467 posts, read 5,741,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The big problem with Black America is that who is the beast in the belly for Black America. Is it the white supremacist, white people, Donald Trump the black pastor, the black politician, pookie and ray-ray, men like R-Kelly & Bill Cosby? This list goes on. Who is to blame for the disfunction of Black America. Just recently we witnessed MSM, and pro blacks accuse a white man of killing a little girl in Texas, but sadly the killer was black. This is what black folks in America might have to ask themselves. Who is to blame for their dysfunction.
I think most people just need to chill and stop playing identity politics and concentrate on themselves and their family members. Condolezza Rice faced Jim Crow and legit discrimination growing up in the south, and you never heard her constantly whining about it or even bringing it up to score cheap political points. When she was on the news, nobody said "and here is black minority woman female secretary of state", she was just secretary of state. She was not judged based "on the color of her skin or sex, but on the content of her character". When you disagreed with her, you weren't labeled racist or misogynist either.
That's not to say we should forget or disregard past or present injustice, but a lot more people should focus more on improving themselves and their family, and not accuse some shadowy nameless "racist society" for all their current failures.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:47 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,401,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think most people just need to chill and stop playing identity politics and concentrate on themselves and their family members. Condolezza Rice faced Jim Crow and legit discrimination growing up in the south, and you never heard her constantly whining about it or even bringing it up to score cheap political points. When she was on the news, nobody said "and here is black minority woman female secretary of state", she was just secretary of state. She was not judged based "on the color of her skin or sex, but on the content of her character". When you disagreed with her, you weren't labeled racist or misogynist either.
That's not to say we should forget or disregard past or present injustice, but a lot more people should focus more on improving themselves and their family, and not accuse some shadowy nameless "racist society" for all their current failures.
Okay. Tell Donald Trump (who demagogues white grievance, e.g. identity politics) and those white nationalist types to stop playing identity politics, stop blaming immigrants for their troubles, stop blaming Muslims and other people of color for their ills. While the corporate types and the plutocrats pick their pockets and ship their jobs overseas.

One standard applies to all. Capish?

Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,117,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Okay. Tell Donald Trump (who demagogues white grievance, e.g. identity politics) and those white nationalist types to stop playing identity politics, stop blaming immigrants for their troubles, stop blaming Muslims and other people of color for their ills. While the corporate types and the plutocrats pick their pockets and ship their jobs overseas.

One standard applies to all. Capish?
Its both sides. SJW, white nationalist, white racists, woke conscious blacks and feminists all use the victim narrative card. The usage of such cards are dangerous, can causes more harm than good in society. Jordan Peterson said it himself. Identity Politics is a dangerous game.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:48 PM

73,197 posts, read 62,905,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Black folks actually have a lot to lose by riding on the Trump train. He can’t be trusted.
Well, this Black man(me) has not been given any reason to trust Trump. I never liked Trump BEFORE he ran for President and it disturbed me when he ran for President.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Its both sides. SJW, white nationalist, white racists, woke conscious blacks and feminists all use the victim narrative card. The usage of such cards are dangerous, can causes more harm than good in society. Jordan Peterson said it himself. Identity Politics is a dangerous game.
Jordan Peterson is a crank and uses male grievance to drive the same sort of "victimization" as you put it.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Urban project? Whites live in urban areas just like blacks do. Urban doesn’t mean black. Most so called urban development benefits whites more than anything.
Hah, you said it. Certainly in the 1960s the term urban renewal often meant 'black removal' --- that's what happened with the Fillmore District in San Francisco, when the city's redevelopment agency basically bulldozed a thriving African American community.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:29 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Note, I think it's interesting you bring up Condoleeza Rice and how she presented herself and is represented in media.

IMO as a black woman, she in her regular life is a typical black woman of her generation. Even though black women like her are common in this country, instead of relegating us to her, media and a large amount of people in general bring up dysfunctional people like R. Kelley and attempt to act like all of us follow "Jesse and Al" lol.

Again, most of the people who speak of black people speak of us in generalities based on prejudice and ignorance and pure racism. I like Condi Rice. I've even met her before. I also like Angela Davis and have met her before. Both of them are from Birmimgham, AL and grew up in the same neighborhood and both are decent people who have a difference of opinion politically.

However, I'll note that one of the things I like the most about Condi Rice is that she is not what I consider a "self-hating negro" in that she does not push and inferior view of blacks to either white conservatives or to black audiences. She is respected because of that by most black people. Can't say the same of a lot of other conservative black people.

Point is though that often you all generalize us based on a media figure or 5-10 dysfunctional black people, or the .5% of black people who commit a violent crime in a given year. Due to that, it is silly to even discuss this stuff with folks once you see they are one of the crazy types who just like to push their "identity politics" as you mentioned.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I'm curious about the bold above. Were you able to actually trace your family genealogy back to the 1600's, or are you speaking generically of blacks that were here at that time?
I have traced 2 lines of my maternal ancestry to the 1600s. They were "free people of color" (FPOC) and were indentured servant Africans, Europeans, and enslaved indigenous people. I've also traced a large amount of lines of my African enslaved ancestors (some who were free by 1800 due to being emanciapated by their owners in Canada or due to PA's gradual abolition of slavery) to the early 1700s in America. I have two known ancetors who fought in the Revolutionary War and were labeled as "negros" or "mulattoes"

Recently added a few more lines to my tree via some research whereas I found an ancestor's African origins. He was originally from the Senegambia region of West Africa and was brought to America as a teenager as a slave in the early 1700s in New Jersey. The family that owned his own was split during the Revolution between "Patriots" and "Loyalists" and my direct female ancestor on this line was this slave's granddaughter. She was taken to Canada by the Loyalist wing of the family as a slave in 1776 but was freed in the early 1800s.

The history of blacks in America is heavily intertwined with whites in this nation and we, as a demographic if we REALLY do some digging can often find ancestors at least through the 1700s and some of us are lucky such as myself and can get to the 1600s. Unfortunately some lines of my family lived in areas that suffered court house fires or other "lost" records so I cannot research them much further than the 1800s. I have a line on my paternal side from Appomattox County, VA and unfortunately they suffered a court house fire so I cannot do much research on them. I get upset about it every time I think about it lol (FWIW I've been "into" genealogical research for over 20 years).

Last edited by residinghere2007; 01-09-2019 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies