Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 08:20 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,743,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
But you haven't proven a racial gap exists. The "study" doesn't come anywhere close to such a proof. To prove/disprove the null hypothesis that race is the determining factor for a specific socioeconomic disparity, ALL OTHER VARIABLES other than race MUST BE EQUAL, thus leaving race as the only possible explanation.

The "study" accounts for exactly two variables on a national scale - household income and race. There at least 20 more variables to equalize if we wanted even a crude, high altitude examination to see if further drilling is even warranted, much less conclusive.

As I wrote many posts ago - get back to me when a proper statistical analysis that accounts for a ton more variables can make a case.

Well....one cay say the same thing about crime rates. There is no proof.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 AM

53,060 posts, read 34,858,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
How about stop sabotaging progress b/c you don't like the idea of non-Whites benefitting from it?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...elfare/562010/
handouts are not progress

Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,865,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
How in the world are black children, as a group, well parented when 70% of blacks come from single parent families? How is any group well parented when there is only 1 parent.

btw, it's not about you or your family. lol It's not about 1 data point when the facts prove otherwise. Is this about how blacks are pummeled when it comes to family and you are trying to prove that blacks can raise kids correctly? Most people already know that, but there is not one group of people, not one who can raise a kid better with 1 parent than 2.

I was raised by a single mother. Are you saying all single parents do not parent well?

My family is a typical black American family so it is about my family. Almost every black person I know has been raised by a single parent either due to divorce (which is also common for white families BTW - does being a child of divorce mean you are not well parented?) or from being born out of wedlock. A majority of them are gainfully employed and take care of themselves and their family.

You and others often speak about the minority of black people in this nation who don't as if it is representative of us all. Your prejudice is fine for you but for any black person or any non-black person who knows a significant amount of black people personally, it comes across as silly and ignorant.

One good parent is better IMO than 2 bad parents. Also black families have a much stronger social network than whites in particular. I noted I was heavily influenced by my grandmother in particular. My great grandparents were my baby sitters as a child. I personally know my 3rd and 4th cousins. This sort of thing is not atypical of the black family experience. We have a very large support system. Single black mothers often have a support system wider than a white married couple. One of my sisters is a single mom for instance. She is my half sister and has one child. She never has to pay for childcare because of our large family and all the kids in our family are what we consider "well loved" and looked out for. All of them also get good grades. My little niece has a 4.0 GPA (as does my own daughter who is the child of married parents). One of my cousins who is a single mom of 2 kids by two different men and who has never been married, her son is the same age as mine and has a 4.23 GPA at one of the best private schools in our area. I have a son in our married parent home who has a 2.8 GPA lol. I don't think she is a better parent than me and my husband but she is a dammed good one and is doing a great job. Her daughter also has a 4.0. She is college educated but was raised in public housing by single parents too. These sorts of things are not rare for black people like you like to believe.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:26 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,019,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
September 18, 2017

Americans, especially wealthy whites, vastly overestimate progress toward racial economic equality despite evidence of persistent gaps between black and white workers when it comes to hourly wages, annual income and household wealth, according to a new paper by Yale University researchers published Monday.

The study’s results are especially stunning in the wake of census data released last week that showed that African Americans were the only racial group still making less than they did in 2000.

The average black household made 60 percent of what white households made in 2016 and less than half of what Asians made, according to census data. For every $100 of wealth accumulated by a white family, a black family has little more than $5 -- a gap just as wide as it was 50 years ago, according to federal statistics cited by the Yale researchers.

[African Americans are the only racial group in U.S. still making less than they did in 2000]

Yet both black and white Americans of all income levels remain profoundly unaware of the economic inequality between the two groups, said the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The misperceptions could negatively affect public policy as the country grows more diverse, researchers said, with politicians championing misguided legislation rooted in false impressions.

“This is evidence that our beliefs about racial progress and economic equality are fairly inconsistent with reality,” said Jennifer Richeson, a Yale psychology professor who co-wrote the study. “The magnitude of the misperception is shocking, and it’s an obstacle to actually achieving the progress that everyone seems to be celebrating.”

White people are really confident that things are getting better for black people
I think "white people" don't express their opinions of black people publicly as noted in the above article. This is a generalization that just isn't true in my circle of friends/family. I think most white people go to work, stop by the grocery store on the way home, feed their kids, and go to a soccer game on the weekends. I think that most of us just don't care enough about other folks to add to the race conversation that you see in the media.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 AM

78,800 posts, read 61,009,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On above, I'll further note, I was around my elder relatives a lot. My parents weren't the best but they also weren't as crappy as some parents are today (we had routines for example, clean clothes, went to school everyday, were expected to be respectful and get good grades, etc.).

I got a very good cultural education from my family. The main part that I even would kind of debate with my grandmother and great grandmother about is the fact that our elder generations seriously thought that white people were crazy/ignorant. LOL but true - I was not raised to think that white people knew anything significant about blacks in general or me. I was also raised to know that they would say ignorant s**t to me and about me (my grandmother especially impressed this upon me) and not to listen to them cause "they crazy."

I remember watching a comedian speaking on this, can't remember his name but he was speaking about the fact that today when you hear of a person doing something crazy you can never know for sure if it is truly a white person like we did in the past - hear of some person going out to pet a lion or something - you'd know that was a white person lol. Trevor Noah kind of hinted upon this as well in his recent Netflix special when he discussed traveling to Bali with his white friends and how he should have checked with them first because white people do some crazy things that black people just wouldn't do. Note to the whites here this is not a knock on you, it is just something that many black people grew up with - knowing white people do some crazy stuff and think crazy things and many of you are prejudiced and racist and don't even know it. My grandmother especially, when I told her how I didn't have any prejudiced/racist white friends, would tell me "wait until you're older" lol. She was right. I've had MANY crazy prejudiced/racist white co-workers and associates and clients, etc. So I don't take seriously anything that white people say about being black since they know nothing about being black anyway. Data can be useful but acknowledgements are not. Apologies are not. I don't need an acknowledgement or apology for something I already know and that will make no difference in my life. I need us as a collective to get back to upholding ourselves and understanding "they crazy" and not to take these studies seriously.
Short version: white people don't understand black people and are all crazy and racist.

Well at least you're seeing all things clearly and not through your own crazy, racist lens.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
I appreciate the answer but congress doesn't really make 'official acknowledgements', that's not really their role. That would fall under the president's duties.

I'm curious what you mean by 'we need another option'? Do you mean like dual citizenship there (obviously assuming those places are willing to accept)? A free one way ticket back?

What congress does or does not do is not germane. I was asked what I wanted....which is not bound by the precedents of what congress has done thus far. Obviously what they have not done is reconciled the damage done to black by this nation....so they need to do something different.

Yes, dual citizenship. There are many African Americans already moving to Africa...for short periods. Many come back....some have not. It's a process of acclimating....its not easy. I am looking into Dar es Salem, in bongo, only because I have good friends that moved back there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CercrZcRe6E

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-09-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-09-2019, 08:32 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,131,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Short version: white people don't understand black people and are all crazy and racist.

Well at least you're seeing all things clearly and not through your own crazy, racist lens.
Would you say Conservatives overall respect Black agency in their vote?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:33 AM

14,081 posts, read 5,695,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well....one cay say the same thing about crime rates. There is no proof.
And I have said the same thing about crime rates, which uses the same clunky, logically invalid nonsense as these "woe is me" threads on household income.

The number one point I always make about crime statistics is that the number one statistical commonality among convicted felons is not race or even gender (if you actually lump female inmates with male), rather, it's the inmate having grown up in a single mother, no father present household. Beats race, age, gender, geography, etc. Number one, clear and away. You start equalizing all other factors, and some uncomfortable truths pop out, which is why nobody ever spends the time to do null hypothesis analysis correctly.

Start equalizing all the variables and uncomfortable truths will emerge that you will not like.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

That is not what she said.....

What has always been clear to me, about you, is the fact that you see black REACTION to racism, as evidence of "black racism". If black people think white people are crazy, for treating black people badly, that becomes "black racism" to you. Any reaction by blacks, to being mistreated, that is not "thank you massa....I love white people"...is "black racism" to you.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 AM

14,081 posts, read 5,695,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Would you say Conservatives overall respect Black agency in their vote?
Define black agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies