Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 07:04 AM

22,010 posts, read 9,586,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The topic is an output of an academic study.

I find it interesting, especially because I think people really do underestimate the difficulties of escaping poverty.
There are over 80 taxpayer funded anti poverty programs in this country. Trouble is, they don't work. When you subsidize something, you get more of it, not less. This is why we are getting more illegal immigration, too. We subsidize it. Now they want to give free healthcare to illegals in NYC and California. So what do you think illegals will do? I say they will flock to those places. No documentation necessary.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:05 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,731,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because you agree with the title means little? lol Keep trying, you'll always loose when you ignore the truth.

I linked the article and simply posted the title. Do I agree with the title....not completely. The article basically demonstrates that MOST people, not just rich whites, don't know how big the racial economic gap is. I don't necessarily agree with their focus, but I agree with with presenting their findings in general about the gaps.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:05 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,705,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I used to be an appraiser for Los Angeles county and I went to some mostly black areas to work in like Inglewood. One thing I noticed was, there would be a lot of nice cars in the driveways and tons of furniture in the house, to the point it looked odd because it took up so much of the room.
I see plenty of expensive cars in white neighborhoods that they can barely afford. But of course we don’t assume that about them.

Americans like to live and spend above their means. I’m fact it’s not even unique to the US.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 AM

22,010 posts, read 9,586,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
What you are leaving out is that the Chicago area has about 10 million people, of which about 1.7 million are "black". Even if 17,000 black people were committing violent crime in Chicago Land....that represents only 1% of the black people. There were 560 murders in Chicago last year and I don't know how many more in the suburbs (a lot less I am sure). The point is, far less than 1% of the black population is committing violent crime yearly, even in the supposed worst cities (like Chicago). There are probably a higher percentage of black people that are doctors or lawyers, than there are black people who commit violent crime. Yet, how often do black people get profiled as being doctors or lawyers while driving? Ergo, one can't intelligently profile "A PEOPLE" based upon the behavior of 1% or less of them. If that is the case, then most definitely all white people should be profiled as racist because far more than 1% of them are.
Well, why don't we import millions of more Africans and the percentage of crime blacks commit as a percentage of blacks will be even lower. That's the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard. It's runs along the line of even though a lot of crime is committed by illegals, most of them don't commit crime so let's not worry about it. Crime is crime. The percentage of the total group of THAT group is meaningless.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 AM

30,270 posts, read 11,895,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Why do you call yourself an indentured servant? Is you entire identity wrapped up in victimhood? I could easily choose the name "descendant of Holocaust victims," but my family didn't think like that. Despite unspeakable horrors, my grandparents - who lost their parents and siblings - focused on what it takes to move forward:

1. A determination to have children within marriage
2. Delayed gratification and sacrifice for higher education

So, I've said this before and I'll say it again: my grandparents arrived here with the clothes on their back and not even a high school diploma. Yet, one generation later, all their kids (my parents and aunts/uncles) all had college degrees. From dirt-poor immigrants in tenements (generation 1) to college-educated professionals with homes in nice suburbs (generation 2).

This constant fixation on what is owed you and how wronged your ancestors were isn't helping you - it's turning you into a bitter man. Just focus on what black people themselves can do to help themselves, encourage that, and you'll be much better off than demanding reparations or whatever.
Great post.

No one can argue that blacks were treated horribly in this country during most of our history. I have Jewish and black friends and how they deal with the past, present and future is what separates them economically and as a society. Obviously there are lots of success stories in the black community but still way too many failures. There will never be a level playing field in this country. Some people have to work harder than others to achieve the same results. That is life.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not racism. That's just you with your agenda driven blinders on so you can blame whitey. I get it. We're the white devil. We're the ones holding blacks down. Right?

Yet all one has to do to have a 75% chance of being middle class or higher and less than a 5% chance of being permanently poor is to finish high school, work full time, and wait until you're 21 to get married and have kids.

Where was the racism up until the 1920's when blacks HAD A LOWER UNEMPLOYMENT RATE THAN WHITES. Are we more racist now?

Yet you blame whitey. You're exactly like the ones you are blaming. Except in your case, it's true. You have a disgusting, repugnant view on whites and everytime you post your racism, you should be outed.

Yes....I have no problem admitting that my agenda is to point to an outside force, that has caused the gap, and not an inside force (such as or basically genetics). You and people like you have a problem admitting that you believe the opposite. You believe the gaps are due to an inside force and not an outside force. You have a problem making that succinct argument because of its obvious implications in regards to the "R" word definition.

You keep talking about "this is all they need to do", like its a no brainier. Ever thing is the way it is for a reason. There is a REASON that black people don't simply do all the things you say they need to do to make it. Your "things to do" might very well be valid.....but there is a REASON its not being done. That REASON is likely linked to complications created from historical racism.

Generally, poor people are trapped in an environment that leads to the emulation of behavior that reproduces poverty, regardless of color. One of the consequences of racial oppression is that it created rates of poverty among blacks multiple times that of whites. When slavery ended, the black poverty rate was multiple times higher than the white poverty rate. Poverty breeds poverty regardless of race and thus blacks are trapped in its cycle and grip, more so than whites, largely as a legacy of racial oppression.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:20 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,852,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have a hard time sometimes seeing how black people have any less opportunities than white people nowadays. For example, at work, my manager is Black. She hires almost only black people. She clearly shows favoritism towards black coworker and employees. It's really obvious.
My husband works with successful black people. I guess....everybody I know who are black are good at what they do and make a good living. And they are not all born from well to do families.
FWIW, my social circle is the same.

I am black and am not from a well off background (my mom was a teen mom - I was her 2nd child and she was on welfare when I was born) and I make well above the median income range for the metro I live in currently and when I lived in metro Atlanta we made above median as well. My husband is from the (sarcastically terrifying to people on this forum) south side of Chicago and both of us were raised by single moms - we both attended HBCUs, both got degrees, are married, have a post-bac education, we've both owned businesses and are doing well in life.

Often black Americans are the main people who buy into stereotypes of us being (as my grandmother used to say and she wasn't either BTW) "po and lowly" lol.

And in my experience most black managers make a point to hire black people because non-black people do not to any wide degree so they want to provide an opportunity to black people for work. When I was a hiring manager, I didn't make a point to specifically hire black people, but I did make a point to ensuring that black people at the HBCUs (students and alumni) in Atlanta in particular knew of openings where I worked to ensure that they could apply for those jobs. I did the same thing BTW in some of our more far flung locations in N. GA as we had some locations that hired property managers/maintenance managers, etc., in more rural, heavily white areas. Those areas didn't have a lot of well paying jobs and I wanted to ensure that the local populace knew about our high paying jobs so the local white people there could apply and get a decent job too. For me, it was and is always about giving people an opportunity to compete for jobs that they may think they are not capable of, but probably are. There are many poor white areas in particular in this country and they often do not have opportunities for higher paying jobs because of lack of industry in their general area or lack of transportation for them to get to a larger area for jobs.

I'll note though that unfortunately this was the early 2000s and meth was an epidemic in N. GA in particular and even though I and my co-worker went out of our way to try to hire some local people there, three local candidates for the higher paying positions couldn't pass a drug screen (note - any black person going for a job making greater than $60k per year - I never had them fail a drug screen). So we had to pay some black people more money to move up to those areas and take two of the management positions (other was provided to a local older man we found who wasn't a user).

But oftentimes these tales of woe are not reflective of the vast majority of the black population. Of course we do have people in poverty who don't make a lot of money; but so do all other ethnicities in this country. I also do think race is a factor in the job market when black people go for jobs in particular due to the "good old boy" network where all people primarily hire their friends/family in the private sector. This is why there is an over-representation of black people in management/executive positions in government (nepotism is frowned upon in government even though it does happen - government positions are those that black people will make a stink about because there are laws on the books to cite) - we are shut out of the private markets because we don't have the network that white people do based upon, as you noted - most of us being from not "well to do" families or environments. We do not have the connections via network of whites. FWIW I remember when we were in Atlanta, my husband was tripping out about an old classmate of his from high school (white guy who was the son of a Chicago firefighter) got out of prison - this old classmate actually murdered someone when he was in his 20s and got 10-25 years in prison - got out after 17 years. This white murderer classmate ended up getting a job as a plumber straight out of prison and was bragging on social media about how he made over $70k per year and if "he could do it anyone could" lol. Mind you, this murderer was hired at his uncle's company and I wonder how many people who use that company in Chicagoland know their plumber is a murderer. I have NEVER known any black person who served time for murder to be able to get a $70k+ paying position - that is because most black people come from a background of poverty and our family's do not own plumbing companies to any wide degree and a white owned company or any other is not typically going to hire a murderer that did almost 20 years in prison. And this is not a knock on the murderer classmate, just facts that networking is the primary way to get a higher paying position along with the fact that the recent discriminatory/oppressive history of blacks mean that our network is not as wealthy nor does it have as many opportunities as even a white murderer child of a firefighter in Chicago.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:21 AM

30,270 posts, read 11,895,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Your analogies aren't equivalent at all.

You don't like to hear it, but black people could solve at least half of their problems by emphasizing the need to have children after marriage - and seeing that it happens. Way too much out-of-wedlock births to ever escape poverty, as a whole.

1. Finish high school
2. Don't have babies as an unwed teen and/or until you can support them without government assistance

Tada!

Then we need to get rid of public assistance. Take away the financial incentive of having children out of wedlock.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Great post.

No one can argue that blacks were treated horribly in this country during most of our history. I have Jewish and black friends and how they deal with the past, present and future is what separates them economically and as a society. Obviously there are lots of success stories in the black community but still way too many failures. There will never be a level playing field in this country. Some people have to work harder than others to achieve the same results. That is life.

The Jewish people have long been in the midst of white society...and they have long been the money lenders. They are connected deeply in the capitalistic model and money. Blacks have no such connection to the capitalistic system. Any group that have a large control of the banking system and lending.....have power.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 AM

78,648 posts, read 60,852,359 times
It's harder for people at the bottom, which is disproportionately brown in this country due to history to escape poverty in this economic era where we have off-shored and on-shored for cheap labor.

This is borne out by stagnant labor wages and growing income disparity.

The line about "they're doing jobs Americans won't do" is missing the additional "for the low wages that they can get away with paying illegals".

This is further plagued by disingenuous attempts to fix the problem with something like a national $15 min. wage but that is designed to create a partisan wedge issue because $15 is reasonable in urban areas but is insane in low cost of living rural areas and those pushing it know that but that is political theatre for you.

Additionally, the CBO estimates that businesses (and you see it all ready with McDonalds etc. moving to automated kiosks, burger makers etc.) are incented to mechanize and cut the least efficient workers. One of my family works at Target and they're all getting pay escalated but they're firing the slower workers.

Oh well, get an education or you're in for a bleak future as globalism isn't reversing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.