Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 07:28 AM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yes....I have no problem admitting that my agenda is to point to an outside force, that has caused the gap, and not an inside force (such as or basically genetics). You and people like you have a problem admitting that you believe the opposite. You believe the gaps are due to an inside force and not an outside force. You have a problem making that succinct argument because of its obvious implications in regards to the "R" word definition.

You keep talking about "this is all they need to do", like its a no brainier. Ever thing is the way it is for a reason. There is a REASON that black people don't simply do all the things you say they need to do to make it. Your "things to do" might very well be valid.....but there is a REASON its not being done. That REASON is likely linked to complications created from historical racism.

Generally, poor people are trapped in an environment that leads to the emulation of behavior that reproduces poverty, regardless of color. One of the consequences of racial oppression is that it created rates of poverty among blacks multiple times that of whites. When slavery ended, the black poverty rate was multiple times higher than the white poverty rate. Poverty breeds poverty regardless of race and thus blacks are trapped in its cycle and grip, more so than whites, largely as a legacy of racial oppression.
I don't disagree with any of what you say. But again, I ask, WHAT would you like whites to do? What specifically do you want? You say you want acknowledgement. By 100% of all white people? What is enough? Are you saying no white people acknowledge it? I just don't get what your goal is.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:32 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Great post.

No one can argue that blacks were treated horribly in this country during most of our history. I have Jewish and black friends and how they deal with the past, present and future is what separates them economically and as a society. Obviously there are lots of success stories in the black community but still way too many failures. There will never be a level playing field in this country. Some people have to work harder than others to achieve the same results. That is life.
yes, and there were a lot of very poor whites who came up poor, but made something of their lives....

We are all connected, but when we all buy into the fact that giving people everything makes them rely less on themselves for success....

When I see black women punching each other, and black women having baby after baby, and black men, thinking that selling drugs on some street corner is going to bring them success, it makes me ill that they could even conceive of it....acting that way...doing harm to others...

I agree, with this comment....

Education still needs to be infiltrated into the Black community, big time...moral and Scholastically. Parenting also needs to be taught...in all of society...a successful society, works together to become strong, and we are all a part of society.

Yes, there has been much improvement, but it sure could be a lot better....a lot better....and that doesn't come from rewarding bad behavior or making a person dependent on free bees, but education....and I have seen many who have turned their lives around, on their own, because they wanted to and had the desire to do so.

I am always so impressed at the Orientals, and how knowledgeable they are, how they endlessly work to improve themselves, how they stick to old fashioned ideas of parenting that works...they are a strict people, a people who are not only intelligent, but work very very hard to succeed. They do help each other but they do not believe in making anyone dependent on them....they initiate the success of an individual only comes from hard work...and they teach morals, obligation and respect for self...to their young, which shows.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Are you saying Jews had it worse in Europe than blacks in America? I could buy your argument there. Similarities with segregation laws, laws against intermarriage, laws against who could work what jobs, etc... Centuries of oppression are similar and then throw in the holocaust.

Point is they both faced severe oppression and hardships.

I stated the truth.

If white oppression of groups was so bad today, whites would be #1 in most life outcomes. They aren't.

If white oppression of groups was so bad today, whites wouldn't be a shrinking number. They are.

Black immigrants come in from Africa and generally do fantastic. Why is this the case if white oppression is so bad?

If your mind is stuck in past victimhood, you'll stay in the past.

You said you don't want people mentioning Asian statistics to bring up racial comparisons. Should the OP have gotten permission to bring up white statistics to bring up racial comparisons? So you are saying some races are superior and can't be brought up - and others aren't and can be brought up? If we are going to talk about white privilege - why not have an honest discussion with all data? Limiting the data is a form of lying that you are advocating - no?
African Americans and European Jews aren’t related in ANY way relative to this topic. This is about what happened here. I don’t care about what happened in Europe. That’s irrelevant.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I don't disagree with any of what you say. But again, I ask, WHAT would you like whites to do? What specifically do you want? You say you want acknowledgement. By 100% of all white people? What is enough? Are you saying no white people acknowledge it? I just don't get what your goal is.
i already asked this question many pages ago and got no answer

Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Kudos to you and yours, but you missed a few things.

In this country, indentured servants were white. They were poor Europeans who chose to sign a servitude contract for 7 years or so in exchange for passage to the new world and then were released at the end of that period. Their “employers” treated them worse than slaves because they weren’t their “property”. Many of them ended up in Appalachia.

African Americans were brought here against their will and were considered property. Oh, and no, they weren’t allowed to marry and their offspring were taken away and sold off. They weren’t considered humans much less chosen people.

See the difference in the definitions? You see, indentured = white vs slave = black. You’ve made an erroneous assumption. The poster could also be exercising some creative license for all we know.

As far as I know, you may or may not be a descendant of Holocaust survivors but if you are then you’re probably Jewish. Even under the most horrific of circumstances your folks considered themselves to be God’s chosen people. You have more commandments than the rest. You’re supposed to be better than the rest. That’s quite a bit different than being considered beasts of burden. And yes, that is fundamentally important.

The American slavery experience and the Holocaust experience are different. I’m not minimizing one experience over another. Neither you nor I experienced either so please tread gingerly.

I know many AA married, professional couples with houses in the suburbs. Please don’t paint everyone with the same brush. The way you issued your blanket statement reeks of racism. You’re the one who brought up the subject of reparations. It’s very disappointing coming from a college graduate. There are some folks in your community who are not good contributors to society to say the least. You have your share of “gems” too. Madoff comes to mind.

BTW, did you kick you kick Judaism to the curb on the way to college? You sound nothing like some devout Jews I know. Don’t get too smug. The were a lot of well educated, successful Jews with nice houses who were unceremoniously hauled off to concentration camps during the Nazi period. Be kind and empathetic towards others less fortunate and to those who have been persecuted. Racists and bigots are just like dope fiends: they can never get enough. After they get done with the Hispanics, the AA, and the Muslims they’ll probably go after Jews too.

On the bold, just wanted to not - in the 1600s, a large amount (probably a majority) of Africans in America were also indentured servants. This is an oft overlooked fact about the early beginnings of our country. It wasn't until the mid 1600s that more and more laws began to be passed to distinguish the treatment of white servants and black servants and to relegate those with African ancestry to be automatically deemed an inferior class/caste. From Wikipedia regarding Bacon's Rebellion of 1676:

Quote:

The alliance between European indentured servants and Africans, united by their bond-servitude, disturbed the ruling class, who responded by hardening the racial caste of slavery in an attempt to divide the two races from subsequent united uprisings with the passage of the Virginia Slave Codes of 1705.

In the early 1700s many of the rights of free Africans, who had been indentured servants and served their service period, were removed. This was especially the case following the Revolution, which for me is ironic due to the fact that this country was supposed founded on ideals of "liberty" (lol). Our country's history provides various concrete examples as proof that white supremacy is a cultural legacy of this nation - the idea that the only people valid for fair/equal treatment were white and various reasons backed by "studies" were done very early in order to support white supremacy in this nation (they often compared the situations of free blacks to slaves to try to reason that blacks would be "better" as slaves than free lol - while ignoring the fact that free blacks had not rights to vote, education, to bare arms, or travel freely and were not even considered citizens of this nation - they'd compile statistics of particular cities/areas where a lot of free blacks lived under these oppressive circumstances, then compare them to statistics of slaves and said the slaves were healthier and happier so better off than the free blacks lol - these new studies to me are just a continuation of this trend).

This is one of the reasons why I always ponder the reason for a particular "study." Often studies done about the black populace continue the historical trend of having a particular fascination with proving the inferiority of black Americans versus whites or other groups of people. That is why I don't pay attention to the "gap" studies.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:
September 18, 2017

Americans, especially wealthy whites, vastly overestimate progress toward racial economic equality despite evidence of persistent gaps between black and white workers when it comes to hourly wages, annual income and household wealth, according to a new paper by Yale University researchers published Monday.

The study’s results are especially stunning in the wake of census data released last week that showed that African Americans were the only racial group still making less than they did in 2000.

The average black household made 60 percent of what white households made in 2016 and less than half of what Asians made, according to census data. For every $100 of wealth accumulated by a white family, a black family has little more than $5 -- a gap just as wide as it was 50 years ago, according to federal statistics cited by the Yale researchers.

[African Americans are the only racial group in U.S. still making less than they did in 2000]

Yet both black and white Americans of all income levels remain profoundly unaware of the economic inequality between the two groups, said the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The misperceptions could negatively affect public policy as the country grows more diverse, researchers said, with politicians championing misguided legislation rooted in false impressions.

“This is evidence that our beliefs about racial progress and economic equality are fairly inconsistent with reality,” said Jennifer Richeson, a Yale psychology professor who co-wrote the study. “The magnitude of the misperception is shocking, and it’s an obstacle to actually achieving the progress that everyone seems to be celebrating.”

White people are really confident that things are getting better for black people
2008 Great Recession had hit "Black America" the hardest. Most black families had equity only in their property which they loss or was devalued. The situation was worse for single parent black home owners which is mostly female. I remember listening to Joe Rogan Podcasts where he and a guest spoke about the financial crisis and how mortgage lenders targeted black homeowners, in particular single black female homeowners. Black homeowners thought they were getting a good deal on their home, but used a subprime mortgage which was not good. Also black America was a lot disparity issues. High rate of unwed people, black women have high rates of college debt, 1/3 black men have been to prison in the past 25 years, coupled with 70% single motherhood. If I'm not mistaken, the average single motherhood educated black woman only has 5 dollars of assets on average.

I have no solution to help black America out. My girlfriend who is black American and an activist was really upset on the way how black folks if they received reparations and how they should spend it. I have always been compassionate, sympatric and empathic to black America. But due to the fact that we live in this social, political and culture climate. It might be best for people of certain collective to handle their own problems. Even though I'm a person of color, both the white man and the black agree I should go back to where I came from, even though I was born here.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:41 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post

I am not looking for white folks do do anything. It would be dangerous to rely on a force that put you down....to lift you up. No offense. It's akin to feeling good about yourself because other people said good about you. Well, that opens the door for people saying bad about you to make you feel bad about yourself. The way one feels about themselves need to internally generated....not based upon what others do and say.

Hence, I think this nation, via congress, needs to make the official acknowledgement to the nation and world. Following that, blacks should take that information and handle it from there, with the government not impeding our ability to do what needs to be done. I think strengthening black ties and relationship with nations in Africa is part of the master plan. As having been to Africa myself, a few times, it's ripe for investment and opportunity for African Americans. We need another option besides America.....for those that want one. Many blacks do not.....but many do.

I think many young black people have lost sight of the struggle.....that is who I want to see the change in most. They need to link our past to their present and see the collective issue and not be on this total quest to be all about themselves.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:45 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,854,786 times
Quote:
I linked the article and simply posted the title. Do I agree with the title....not completely. The article basically demonstrates that MOST people, not just rich whites, don't know how big the racial economic gap is. I don't necessarily agree with their focus, but I agree with with presenting their findings in general about the gaps.
And the gap is because of single parent hood created by the welfare state. That gap exists for all groups. That you don't care to address that while blaming racism caused by the white devil, IS the problem.

Not all whites mind you, just the ones in human resources who are responsible for the hiring, firing, and promotions. right? pffft I wonder what it is about white people in that once they work for humn resources they get really bigoted?

Anyone get the fact that it's government which has divided the races yet? White person wants to marry a minority, government says no. Want to have a black man fighting along side of you to defeat the enemy, government says no. A black person wants to attend a public school, government says no. Can I eat at the lunch counter? Government says no. That people cannot identify the enemy is boggling.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, and there were a lot of very poor whites who came up poor, but made something of their lives....

We are all connected, but when we all buy into the fact that giving people everything makes them rely less on themselves for success....

When I see black women punching each other, and black women having baby after baby, and black men, thinking that selling drugs on some street corner is going to bring them success, it makes me ill that they could even conceive of it....acting that way...doing harm to others...

I agree, with this comment....

Education still needs to be infiltrated into the Black community, big time...moral and Scholastically. Parenting also needs to be taught...in all of society...a successful society, works together to become strong, and we are all a part of society.

Yes, there has been much improvement, but it sure could be a lot better....a lot better....and that doesn't come from rewarding bad behavior or making a person dependent on free bees, but education....and I have seen many who have turned their lives around, on their own, because they wanted to and had the desire to do so.

I am always so impressed at the Orientals, and how knowledgeable they are, how they endlessly work to improve themselves, how they stick to old fashioned ideas of parenting that works...they are a strict people, a people who are not only intelligent, but work very very hard to succeed. They do help each other but they do not believe in making anyone dependent on them....they initiate the success of an individual only comes from hard work...and they teach morals, obligation and respect for self...to their young, which shows.

This was a hilariously prejudiced post (Orientals....I'd think you know by now that that is not what people call Asians or Asian Americans today).

Also black Americans have always been parented well and our educational achievement has risen on a percentage basis higher than all others in this country since the 1970s.

I do agree that people shouldn't depend on freebies either. But the idea that black people are inherently inferior parents, don't value or strive to be educated, don't have morals, etc., those are pretty racist views. You may not care that they are and I don't care if you are mad at me saying as such, but believing another group of people ("Orientals..." or whites) are superior parents, have superior families, have a superior view of education based solely on their group identity is the simplest version of racism that one can define.

I'll note IMO family ideals of Asians and black Americans are actually pretty similar. Most non-white groups in America have similar ideals about family and what "family" means in regards to sticking together and looking out for each other (like placing family elderly family members in nursing homes, etc. Both Asian Americans and black Americans are more likely to personally care for family and keep them at home because both have cultures that heavily revere familial bonds and taking care of your elders in particular. Latinos are also similar in this regard. The whole idea that black families are "bad" or worse than others is always laughable to me considering my own family we have a great bond, we are very tolerant of each other, we watch each others children and are very close to each other even if we don't like each other - we "do" for each other because that is just our culture and way. I don't see close knit familial bonds actually with most white families I know except those who have a more recent immigrant connection to this country).

Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,110,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
i already asked this question many pages ago and got no answer
How about stop sabotaging progress b/c you don't like the idea of non-Whites benefitting from it?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...elfare/562010/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies