Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 07:47 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,508,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Go read the constitution and learn how the government works.
About what? Senate approval was required. Trump could have vetoed. YOU NEED TO READ THE CONSTITUTION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:55 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,345,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
in a mere few weeks Pelosi has turned the Speaker of the House job into some bumbling, fumbling, understudy who answers to Mitch McConnell. Amazing, good choice!
The problem resides with Mitch McConnell, he doesn't understand that he is in control of the senate. Maybe the senate could put a bill in front of Trump, you know the old fashioned way. But he would rather attempt to figure out Trumps ever changing mind which is a losing proposition.

Suddenly the senate is afraid of a presidential veto, McConnell wasn't quite as petrified when he put those bills on the presidents desk to defund the ACA but now he has lost his courage.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,602,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
About what? Senate approval was required. Trump could have vetoed. YOU NEED TO READ THE CONSTITUTION.
“First, a bill must pass both houses of Congress by a majority vote. After it has passed out of Congress, it is sent along to the President. ... There it is voted on again, and if both houses of Congress pass the bill again, but this time by a two-thirds majority, then the bill becomes law without the President's signature.”

Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,508,430 times
Quote:
“First, a bill must pass both houses of Congress by a majority vote. After it has passed out of Congress, it is sent along to the President. ... There it is voted on again, and if both houses of Congress pass the bill again, but this time by a two-thirds majority, then the bill becomes law without the President's signature.”
And? Trump signed the bill. No veto override. There is no controversy except in your mind.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ite-house-says

Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
McConnell stated that he he will not send a bill to the president unless Trump agrees with the house version, since when does the senate need presidential preapproval of a bill.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,602,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
McConnell stated that he he will not send a bill to the president unless Trump agrees with the house version, since when does the senate need presidential preapproval of a bill.
If a bill doesn’t pass both houses, it would die.

Where did you go to school? I am an immigrant and I know this.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:15 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,428,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
WRONG

Unless you are the wrong color or gender.

The racist policy of affirmative action is responsible for the hiring of minorities and women well above an normal criteria of hiring the most qualified for the job. It is a combination of the now outlawed quota system, and more disturbingly lowering of standards to try to make every group of equal or greater numbers over white males.
This can include, but is not limited to special treatment regarding experience, education, physical and/or mental prowess, even criminal history. There are other absurd consideration where the standards were lowered to chive what they now call "diversity goals", but the music is still the same.

Heck, go into any federal workplace and tell me there are not a disproportionate number of minorities as compared with the general public.
This is of course not limited to only federal jobs, as federal contracts where they give advantage to minority and women owned businesses, and/or if you happen to have a higher % of XYZ, you will get the contract over more reputable or even lower bidding companies who do not meet the liberal PC criteria.

I could go on but would be preaching to the choir on one hand, and speaking to others who intentionally have their heads buried in the sand on the other.

`
What an interesting take and one chock full of your own personal biases.

My spouse works for the fed. You are, in fact, right about there being a large number of minorities in her agency. But you are wildly off base and biased about why. It has nothing to do with quotas, diversity numbers or affirmative action. In fact, this is a relatively new occurrence.

You see, in her agency, the minorities you mention are actually first and second generation children of immigrants. Their parents sold them on the wonder of the American dream. They sold them on the idea they should give back to the country that had given them so much. They sold them on public service.

And so, they apply to serve the American people while those same people...well, they are so worried about someone getting a tiny bit more than them that they spout silly nonsense about how and why they got their jobs.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
If a bill doesn’t pass both houses, it would die.

Where did you go to school? I am an immigrant and I know this.
You are not reading my post correctly, McConnell refused to send the bill to the senate floor for a vote unless the president agrees with the bill. I guess this is a new process.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:46 PM

14,242 posts, read 4,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
WRONG

Unless you are the wrong color or gender.

The racist policy of affirmative action is responsible for the hiring of minorities and women well above an normal criteria of hiring the most qualified for the job. It is a combination of the now outlawed quota system, and more disturbingly lowering of standards to try to make every group of equal or greater numbers over white males.
This can include, but is not limited to special treatment regarding experience, education, physical and/or mental prowess, even criminal history. There are other absurd consideration where the standards were lowered to chive what they now call "diversity goals", but the music is still the same.

Heck, go into any federal workplace and tell me there are not a disproportionate number of minorities as compared with the general public.
This is of course not limited to only federal jobs, as federal contracts where they give advantage to minority and women owned businesses, and/or if you happen to have a higher % of XYZ, you will get the contract over more reputable or even lower bidding companies who do not meet the liberal PC criteria.

I could go on but would be preaching to the choir on one hand, and speaking to others who intentionally have their heads buried in the sand on the other.

`
Veteran is #1 in hiring preference in federal government. 40% of military personnel are minority as of FY15

6 facts about the U.S. military's changing demographics

35% of federal employees are minority as of FY14
https://www.fedweek.com/issue-briefs...ce-summarized/

So I'd say minority is under represented in federal government

Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 PM

10,260 posts, read 15,971,562 times
Yes these federal workers come across as very entitled to me and completely out of touch with the real world. I've lived in communities where coal mines and steel mills have shut down permanently, or been closed for extended periods of time. These workers and their families just have to deal with it and they DON'T get back pay even though its also due to things beyond their control whether market forces or government policies like the war on coal and unfair trade agreements.

Even here in Louisiana where manufacturing is generally thriving, Georgia Pacific is laying off 450 workers at a paper mill that they've run for decades because there's less demand for printer paper these days and that section of the plant is being closed.

I honestly think that the non essential workers who stayed home should NOT be paid. Paying the non-essential workers would also be unfair to the essential ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies