Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:16 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,983 times

Advertisements

This thread really highlights how specific people are so *utterly* removed from reality....

They’re either trust-fund babies or living off of welfare.

Because it seems like they’ve never lived paycheck to paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 09:48 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
it's time for you to find a new line of work if you think you can "hey, I promise I will pay you in the future but I don't know when"

https://www.cbsnews.com/media/7-payc...d-be-breaking/
How does this apply? The workers didn’t do the work in this case.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM

1,991 posts, read 901,434 times
The Feds are not doing the work, not because they don’t want to, but because they are being told not to. In the meantime, the work just keeps piling up in their absence. When they get back, they will have to clear the backlog, as well as handle the normal daily workload. So yeah, they deserve their back pay. And you are going to pay them OP.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because the government sector IS different.

My daughter just got offered a short term well paying job in her field. She isn’t legally allowed to take it because one of the criteria of her contract as a government employee is that she cannot do any side work in her field. She can’t even take a part time job without her supervisors approval which she cannot get. She can’t even just quit without consequences due to her security clearances which are admittedly pretty low. It’s likely much worse for those with serious clearances.

None of that would happen to a private sector employee. If you are expected to go weeks without pay you are free to get new employment without facing legal action.
Fair enough. They should at least be able to quit and/or find other jobs then.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:07 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How does this apply? The workers didn’t do the work in this case.
do you cherry pick your argument?

You want the furloughed (non-essential) employees to not get back pay because they are not working. Your argument is that is how we do it in private sector. OK, cool.

What about the essential employees who are working without pay? I'm pretty sure that is not how we do it in private sector. It's 100% illegal in private sector.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
do you cherry pick your argument?

You want the furloughed (non-essential) employees to not get back pay because they are not working. Your argument is that is how we do it in private sector.

What about the essential employees who are working without pay? I'm pretty sure that is not how we do it in private sector. It's 100% illegal in private sector.
I have no beef against those who must work without pay. They have all my sympathy. I appreciate they work through this fiasco and I blame both parties for using them as a pawn.

However, that’s not what my topic is about. I am asking for the moral justification for those who DON’T work but will be paid.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
The Feds are not doing the work, not because they don’t want to, but because they are being told not to. In the meantime, the work just keeps piling up in their absence. When they get back, they will have to clear the backlog, as well as handle the normal daily workload. So yeah, they deserve their back pay. And you are going to pay them OP.
LOL. Every worker being laid off deserves their pay back then.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Please explain how your inability or unwillingness to plan and save is a concern for anybody but you and your family?

I was suggesting that no work, no pay.
If you read my post, my husband was unemployed for a year. We used our savings to pay for bills. Now he is employed, making half of what he did before.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
I have no beef against those who must work without pay. They have all my sympathy. I appreciate they work through this fiasco and I blame both parties for using them as a pawn.

However, that’s not what my topic is about. I am asking for the moral justification for those who DON’T work but will be paid.
Your sympathy doesn't pay for their rent, mortgage, and food to feed their family.

If it's moral to not pay essential employees for working without pay, then it's also moral to pay furloughed (non-essential) employees for not working.

Be consistent with your view/argument.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Your sympathy doesn't pay for their rent, mortgage, and food to feed their family.

If it's moral to not pay essential employees for working without pay, then it's also moral to pay furloughed (non-essential) employees for not working.

Be consistent with your view/argument.
Neither is moral; however, one wrong doesn’t make another wrong right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies