Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 11:37 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Because they cannot work

If they get outside work they get subjected to an OPM investigation because believe it or not, federal employees can be compromised when they accept outside employment, as the new employer has an upper hand which could subject the federal employee to coercion, bribes, etc, which is not something the federal government wants.

Just how dense are you, mate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes these federal workers come across as very entitled to me and completely out of touch with the real world. I've lived in communities where coal mines and steel mills have shut down permanently, or been closed for extended periods of time. These workers and their families just have to deal with it and they DON'T get back pay even though its also due to things beyond their control whether market forces or government policies like the war on coal and unfair trade agreements.

Even here in Louisiana where manufacturing is generally thriving, Georgia Pacific is laying off 450 workers at a paper mill that they've run for decades because there's less demand for printer paper these days and that section of the plant is being closed.

I honestly think that the non essential workers who stayed home should NOT be paid. Paying the non-essential workers would also be unfair to the essential ones.
You are utterly clueless and clearly have no interest in maintaining the integrity of the federal government.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You are utterly clueless and clearly have no interest in maintaining the integrity of the federal government.
In many regards I trust our local authorities and even state more than I trust the feds. Think about how despite the liberal media's support for centralized control and their message that everything local requires federal oversight, remember how the FBI and ATF committed that massacre in Waco killing over 50 children, worse than anything the Ferguson PD was accused of (and all the BLM claims turned out to be false). The feds have never been our friend. They're also the ones forcing Obamacare and abortion on us, trying to restrict our gun rights, harming our economy with government overregulation.

The liberal belief is centered on the assumption that government is benign hence their support for massive government control. Globally a private company has never done what Stalin or Hitler did.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
In many regards I trust our local authorities and even state more than I trust the feds. Think about how despite the liberal media's support for centralized control and their message that everything local requires federal oversight, remember how the FBI and ATF committed that massacre in Waco killing over 50 children, worse than anything the Ferguson PD was accused of (and all the BLM claims turned out to be false). The feds have never been our friend. They're also the ones forcing Obamacare and abortion on us, trying to restrict our gun rights, harming our economy with government overregulation.

The liberal belief is centered on the assumption that government is benign hence their support for massive government control. Globally a private company has never done what Stalin or Hitler did.
Who's forcing abortion on anybody? Democrats are trying to leave open the choice of abortion or not. It's Republicans who don't even want the choice to be available.....

Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Who's forcing abortion on anybody? Democrats are trying to leave open the choice of abortion or not. It's Republicans who don't even want the choice to be available.....
total lie

republicans just dont want to fund abortion

its your body
its your choice
its your bill

Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:

None of this has anything to do with whether furloughed employees deserve to be paid. Put yourself in their shoes. And keep in mind many furloughed employees did vote for Trump. Should they be asked to lose their home/livelihood, or alternatively, risk their job, because of an egotistical (on one side) power struggle? The Sword of Damocles for this shutdown will not fall upon the Democrats, it will fall upon our President. And this hardship will not be forgotten.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Need some explanation here. For those who didn’t work, why should they be paid?

Before you argue it’s not their fault, it’s not the taxpayers’ fault either. In the private sector, if a company shuts down due to slow sales, nobody would be paid.

Since they will get the pay back for not doing any work, that’s like paid vacation! Frankly, all the whining from the federal employees is only because they have no savings when they know government shutdowns are not rare events.
Let's pretend that you think these people are doing jobs worth doing and required.

How much would it cost taxpayers to train new hires if those who were told not to come in decided to find other work instead of hoping to get back to work? I imagine it would be more that a couple months pay.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Let's pretend that you think these people are doing jobs worth doing and required.

How much would it cost taxpayers to train new hires if those who were told not to come in decided to find other work instead of hoping to get back to work? I imagine it would be more that a couple months pay.
Yeah, it’s super expensive to train new federal employees, almost across the board with federal agencies. Not to mention the fact that 30% of federal employees are veterans. Are you republicans repudiating veterans, and the work they are doing in the federal government? Or are they just pawns as far as you and the President are concerned?

https://www.fedshirevets.gov/veteran...nch-fy2016.pdf

Old 01-18-2019, 12:40 AM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
If I was an essential worker, then I would feel it would be unfair to me if the unessential ones who stayed home were also paid.

But free money is at the heart of the liberals wet dream. Until they run out of other people's money.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
If I was an essential worker, then I would feel it would be unfair to me if the unessential ones who stayed home were also paid.

But free money is at the heart of the liberals wet dream. Until they run out of other people's money.
Again, what do you expect the furloughed employees to do? I already explained to you that “just getting another temp job” is problematic and triggers an otherwise unnecessary background investigation (which, by the way, requires you, the taxpayer, to pay for). You are both inconsiderate and naive with those comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies