Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 AM

356 posts, read 281,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Isn't Trump's wife currently at the mercy of unpaid American air traffic controllers?

Maybe they should have a one day sick out when she is due back in DC.
I'm sure she would rather be grounded in FL than in DC.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:20 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Most likely he will declare a border emergency and announce that he will build the border wall using his emergency authority.
I was hoping that's what he would do, but the other option I had in mind was what he DID offer.
Since the democrats have rejected the offer, he may declare the emergency next.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:51 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I was hoping that's what he would do, but the other option I had in mind was what he DID offer.
That is what I am expecting.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:59 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal aliens don't come by airplane, duh.
Yes they do, duh.
  1. Get visa.
  2. Fly in.
  3. Overstay.
  4. You're now an illegal alien.

Is this stuff complicated?

Old 01-20-2019, 11:02 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yes they do, duh.
  1. Get visa.
  2. Fly in.
  3. Overstay.
  4. You're now an illegal alien.

Is this stuff complicated?
https://www.politifact.com/californi...lf-all-people/

Half or more are Visa overstays.

You'd think Oldglory would care about....well, to use his figures, 10 MILLION people. But apparently he cares more about a tiny portion of a Wall that will change nothing.

Oh well. Some people, it seems, are less interested in facts and solutions than symbols.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Trump answers to no one. The guy actually has a backbone ...
Bwahahahahaa! You funny man, you. He agreed to a budget until Coulter and Hannity criticized him. The man is so beholden to external validation, it's cringe-worthy to watch.

By the way, when are you saddling up to help defend the Texas ranchers against federal government taking over their land? I seem to recall you having some very firm positions on that sort of thing during the Bundy debacle.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:04 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Believe me, we're not worried at all. Trump is holding nothing over my head....anything he does is likely toxic to himself, his party and to the country in general, but since I have no say he can just go ahead and try what he wants.

But I think that, at heart, he's a bone spur coward. Bullies are usually cowards. Most are also incapable of accomplishing real things....that's why they push their way around.

But he's still playing checkers and tic-tac-toe while the rest of the word is playing deep chess.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
https://www.politifact.com/californi...lf-all-people/

Half or more are Visa overstays.

You'd think Oldglory would care about....well, to use his figures, 10 MILLION people. But apparently he cares more about a tiny portion of a Wall that will change nothing.

Oh well. Some people, it seems, are less interested in facts and solutions than symbols.
Dehumanizing one's enemy is a prerequisite for institutionalized cruelty, and people who book a flight and struggle with their carry-on and stand in line are too relatable. The mental image of poor people of a different skin color on foot through the desert, now that is so far from the experience of Oldglory that he feels comfortable putting them in a lesser category. Tribal thinking, some people never overcome it.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:05 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
1. Budget doesn't make law.
2. Here is a CBO estimate for what a Texas Lawmaker has proposed (national e-verify).

"State Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas has long championed a national E-Verify law.

In total, the CBO estimated that Smith’s bill “would increase budget deficits as measured by the unified federal budget by about $30 billion over the 10-year period.”

23 million? Nationwide? What does Texas get, like enough to buy one McMansion?

Honest question. Why would it take billions to require employers to use e-verify? Implementation costs little. Enforcement could get expensive but how much would be recovered in penalties?

All employers are currently required to complete an I-9 for every employee. Is that costing $30 billion every ten years?

Also, I'm not even sure a new "law" is needed. IRCA of 1986 already requires every employer to verify authorization to work. The manner can be specified as an administrative regulation. In any event, more and more calls for e-verify make it likely to become reality soon.

In any event, e-Verify is something that needs to be passed by the dfederal govt covering employers nationwide, not piecemeal on a state by state basis.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Remember, even if Employers in Texas don't use E-Verify when it's law (for state contracts), there is STILL no penalty or enforcement program. That's laughable. "Hey, break the law and make millions more and we will....do nothing".

Just like the Democratic approach to illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies